2010-2011 towing capacity drop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Toyota Adopted the SAE standard J2807 towing standard which many MFG have still not. That's also why there is so much debate and gnashing of teeth anytime towing is brought up with 2nd gens. NOTHING in the vehicle has changed between those years and Toyotas lawyers thought that was acceptable to publish so there is no reason comparative 2nd gens cant tow the 9,000-10,000 lbs. depending on model/ drivetrain. The crap part is if you are in an accident or something towing more than what's on your door sticker even if its capable you may be "extra" liable.

To further the confusion, the Canadian Models up to 2016 or so still used the "old" numbers between 9-10.,000 lbs. So two identical vehicles with two different ratings. Its all laywers and nonsense really. Having extensively towed with my 5.7 Tundra in stock form these things will to 8,500lbs safely with ease. Add better brakes, brake controller, weight distribution hitch and rear bags and your're good to go even higher.

Last edited:
whats a good brake contoller for 2012? I belive the wiring is in there correct? as I have the tow package with the 430s and coolers with 7 pin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom