2008 tundra stereo upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the stereo on my 2008 tundra is starting to develop a mind of its own. I'm looking into upgrading the unit. I hear people say they've upgraded to a unit with navigation. Can you guys post pictures of your upgraded set up? Any advice on what to and where to purchase?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I have a Sequoia that has the same radio setup as a Tundra. I installed a Pioneer AVIC 8100 NEX head unit with a CRUX SWRTY-61 wiring harness to retain factory backup camera and steering wheel controls. Radio was definitely an improvement on sound. It even makes the stock speakers sound good. I used the following bezel to mount it: Metra 99-8220 Dash Kit, Gloss Charcoal. I get compliments on the bezel all the time, matches the factory dash perfectly.

Buy a bezel and a power plug from an online store or ebay. you want the piano gloss finish. Buy your nav unit anywhere. Mine came from best buy clearance. I was able to have them knock off some cash. I made sure mine was 20w or better and now my stock speakers come alive.

With the plug adapter, you mostly match up the wires color for color. The package on mine had the function for each wire and compare it to the manual for the radio. Splice it together and install.
I mounted the gps antenna under the dash speaker bezel as there was no speaker.
This may be a good time to add a rear camera. Yo can mount one in the tailgate handle or get a license plate mount. Run the rca cable up to the cab and now backing is so much easier, especially with a trailer, something I have several of.

occruise, I'm wondering how you made out?
I'd like to put a backup camera on my 08 SR5. Just wondering if I can use same year or newer Limited or platinum unit?? has anyone tried this successfully or can recommend an aftermarket unit, model #s etc.. thanks in advance

Those would be JBL and yours is not. You are way better off getting the HU you want along with a bezel and wiring adapter. Then get a camera. I would not try to use the factory camera plug as you would have to splice into it at both ends. Just get a long rca cable and run it up to the back of the HU. The stock speakers sound fine once you put some power to them. So if you are not going with sub, then look for a unit with good rms output. I put a JVC in mine. I got a great deal on a discontinued model and it has been a world of difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom