2008 Land Cruiser surface rust, before/after (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a 2008 LC with 112k miles on it. It had surface rust on the bottom of the vehicle so I decided to take it to a body shop to remove the rust and redo the undercoating.
The body/frame shop told me "It has to be cleaned physically by metal-brushing and sanding."
After that they cleaned it with some chemical that is supposed to neutralize the rust.
After the cleaning, they primed then coated it with 3M undercoating.

Here is the before photos
a0Ax2xc.jpg

RWRQYqt.jpg

EDTw8bE.jpg

Here are some after photos.
VZDPdko.jpg

r1JnIhE.jpg

IloT8iw.jpg

I'm installing OME kit from slee this week and already noticed the jack stands r starting to scrap the 3M coating. I'll probably patch it with some POR15. No big deal.

Got the car from a San Diego owner. Probably never checked his undercarriage during his ownership. Oh well.

FYI, your spare tire is mounted upside down - outside of tire should face up:

IloT8iw.jpg

HTH

FYI, your spare tire is mounted upside down - outside of tire should face up:

HTH

Lol yea. Noticed that when I was swapping out the rear shock. The body shop didn't mount it back right.

looks great

Looks good. If I may add a place to check.

Feel inside the front bump stop mounts. There are two on each side, they are boxed, don't have drain holes, but have nickel sized holes on the side of the mount, and sit exposed to everything you drive into, and whatever the front tires can spin up.

It's rather hard to clean in there, but some harsh chemicals, POR-15 cleaner, then a solid inhibiting primmer, and a few coats of rust inhibiting paint will go a long way.

How much $ if I may ask?

Looks good. If I may add a place to check.

Feel inside the front bump stop mounts. There are two on each side, they are boxed, don't have drain holes, but have nickel sized holes on the side of the mount, and sit exposed to everything you drive into, and whatever the front tires can spin up.

It's rather hard to clean in there, but some harsh chemicals, POR-15 cleaner, then a solid inhibiting primmer, and a few coats of rust inhibiting paint will go a long way.

I'll check it out this weekend. Thanks for the heads up. I checked the inside of the frame earlier and it looks fine.

Wire brush, some rustoleum on the rear axle and spray it with Fluid Film every year or so. Should never be a problem again. Paint will get the look back and the fluid film will protect the paint. Fluid film will also “heal” after it touches jack stands because it remains wet and never cures.

Wire brush, some rustoleum on the rear axle and spray it with Fluid Film every year or so. Should never be a problem again. Paint will get the look back and the fluid film will protect the paint. Fluid film will also “heal” after it touches jack stands because it remains wet and never cures.
I know this is an OLD thread, but I've just been doing this today. I have a 2013 that spent 7+ years in Louisiana and now 2+ in Michigan. It had no rust when I got it, and I'm doing my best to keep it that way. Every fall gets a fresh coat of Fluid Film, and every spring I get out the wire brush, scrape and clean the rust spots, and then put on a couple heavy coats of oil-based rustoleum or X-O. So far, so good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom