2 trailers which one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just picked up my first Land Cruiser 100 series and I am looking at trading my trailer for a different one.

I currently have a 1942 Willys MBT that is pretty stock. It rides on a slightly wider axle than normal to match a Jeep TJ, but I still have all the stock stuff. The PO cut out the tailgate and also cutoff the lunette and welded a standard 2" hitch mount on. Mine is in pretty nice shape.

I have a guy that wants my trailer, and we might trade. He has a M116A2 that was modified by the National Guard, it still has a bed but also has sections on the outside of the bed where I could mount water/gas/propane, and it not have to be in the bed of the trailer with all the other gear. It is also 10x7 which means it be a little longer for towing our kayaks. This one still has the lunette, plus surge brakes. This one has some surface rust, but no holes etc.

The weight differences are my trailer weighs 550 lbs empty, and the other weighs 750 lbs empty. But I'm going from a TJ and CJ towing to using the LC 100.

Aside from the historical value, and weight, is there anything else I should be thinking of?

Anyone else using a M116A2 for their trailer?

Would the M116A2 be an improvement?

I can't tell if you were looking to trade or sell, or you are thinking about it only because the opportunity has arisen.

The biggest thing I consider with any trade is "Will I be sad to see mine go?"

You want to avoid any buyers remorse. I know that you said that it will be longer for towing your kayaks. Is that something you need/want?

Don't just do it to do it. Make sure it is what you want to do.

Thanks man. Yeah I'm really torn is I would like to mod my current trailer for more of an expedition type build. But it is a 1942 and I guess now a collectors item. I hate to modify it. But make mine what I want I would have to modify it. Mine has no rust and the paint is really nice. I swapped the axle on mine (kept the orignal parts)

The other trailer (since I have been looking for specs) seems to be longer, wider, and taller. The other trailer has some things I would like to do to mine, for example storage outside the tub for stuff like gas/water, but it needs surface rust knocked off and then paint or rhino lined.

Here is mine:
IMG_0529.JPG

Too bad about the lunette, but those parts are still available. Size the pintle correctly and it won't rattle too badly or too much.

Could build rails that clamp onto the top of the bed that then has a rack etc. for the kayaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom