2.5" Ironman lift from Metal-Tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I will be joining the IronMan lift group.

upload_2016-3-11_11-46-12.png

Thank you to Mark at Metal-Tech for helping me through this purchase and thank you to Mountain for making the suggestions. I should get it sometime Monday the 14th and start the install process later in the week.

I will be following along with the other post about the air bag delete so that I hopefully don't get any dash lights. I am really looking forward to seeing how this rig rides.

And as always if you have and suggestions, tips, tricks or comments please let me know.

I will take measurement before and after the install and try to take as many (iPhone) pictures as I can in the process.

Thanks in advance.

Travis

Here she is. And I got a little excited ok a LOT excited and forgot to take pictures or write anything up!

Some tips that caught me off guard;
1. Upper control Arms (UCA) pulling the finder wall up and out of the way was a huge help.
2. Stock coil over, the servo on the top is not going to be reused so you can either snap it off or try and use an allenwrench to take the two bolts off.
3. Once the three top bolts are off the top bolt doesn't need to be removed. You can just hammer or kick the spring out.
4. Set the casters to the 0 percent and take to the alignment shop.

Rear was pretty simple really. Put the truck on floor jack stands under the gram rail. Once it is secure put the floor jack under the pumpkin and drop the sway bar connections. Pull the shocks off. Again you might have to bend the fire wall out of the way to get better access to the top but. Cut the lines coming from the compressor, put the floor jack under the pumpkin and drop the axel all the way down. The air bags are just held in place on the top by the electrical connector, so just pull and shake until it releases.

Hope this helps someone else. Mark at Metal-tech was awesome and so far I dig the ride!

Travis

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks great.

Couple questions.

Any idea the spring rate front and back?
Did you get the Rear Spring Isolators with the Kit?
How would you describe the ride? Firmer or Softer. Obviously more controlled with new shocks.

How much does he charge for the complete setup. Front, rear, with Air Bag Delete?

I just put on a set of Foam Cell Pros yesterday also. I also removed the front sway, so it's hard to differentiate the changes are from the new springs/struts, and what is from the missing sway bar. Well, the body roll obviously from the missing sway, but the ride feels nice. These replaced Bilstein 5100s with stock springs, and it is now rides less truck like - more plush. Not a huge difference, but I also have the piece of mind of having a more robust system also. I have C springs in mine since I have a heavy bumper and winch. I didn't get mine as coil-overs, just separate springs and struts, then used a jack to push them together on the truck.

I just put on a set of Foam Cell Pros yesterday also. I also removed the front sway, so it's hard to differentiate the changes are from the new springs/struts, and what is from the missing sway bar. Well, the body roll obviously from the missing sway, but the ride feels nice. These replaced Bilstein 5100s with stock springs, and it is now rides less truck like - more plush. Not a huge difference, but I also have the piece of mind of having a more robust system also. I have C springs in mine since I have a heavy bumper and winch. I didn't get mine as coil-overs, just separate springs and struts, then used a jack to push them together on the truck.

Did you have the 5100 on one of the upper perches or the bottom perch with that stock spring.

Looks great.

Couple questions.

Any idea the spring rate front and back?
Did you get the Rear Spring Isolators with the Kit?
How would you describe the ride? Firmer or Softer. Obviously more controlled with new shocks.

How much does he charge for the complete setup. Front, rear, with Air Bag Delete?

I went with B rated springs. I do not plan on putting extra weight on the front or rear.

I did get the Metal-Tech rear conversion kit and it was a great choice. Easy to install and very simple.

The ride is firmer but not like a truck it is a good in between. I am not big on the air ride soft ride personally. Granted I only have about 200 miles on the kit.

The UCA do not have a nylon nut or a lock washer so I have already had to tighten the UCA nut. I am going to grab one at the local parts supply house.

Once I was had it all apart I realize I need to replace the sway bar links as the bushings are trashed on the front and the rear. Other than that the front end looked strong.

I didn't not adjust the shocks at all. How they came from Metal-Tech is how I put them on just to see how I like it. So far it is a great ride.

So what size tires are you going to run? I am getting ready to pull the trigger in a lift and want to run 285/70/17s. It hasn't been very clear in a lot of the lifts I've seen what size I can get away with? Sorry to hijack your thread and it looks great!

So what size tires are you going to run? I am getting ready to pull the trigger in a lift and want to run 285/70/17s. It hasn't been very clear in a lot of the lifts I've seen what size I can get away with? Sorry to hijack your thread and it looks great!

You shouldn't have a problem with any of the loft running that tire size, possibly spacers needed depending on what rim you use.

@Mountain , so what if I wanted to run 285/75s?

That's what size I have.

I know it will fit with ironman, I have stock wheels and needed spacers. will rub no matter what with running boards on, and some in front with stock bumper.

I am looking at going to 285/70/17 on stock rims. Hoping that I will not rub to much. I do not have it in the budget right now but in the future I will be pulling the trigger on some new rubber. You will have to keep us up to date on what you end up with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom