1KZTE spill valve SPV replacement Prado KZJ95 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, looking to replace my spill valve (spv) with a new Denso unit (096600-0033). Is this just plug and play (ie is the new valve at the right setting), so do I need to adjust the top adjustment screw to be at the same position as my old SPV? Has anyone on here done a replacement with a new Denso unit?

Hmmm interesting question. Maybe best to ask the supplier if they come tuned? They're not cheap the old SCV's so I would also be asking myself if it is necessary first. What's the issue you're troubleshooting?

Car turns over but won't start. I changed the ECD relay (old one did not work properly when tested) and the vehicle started and ran, but when I went to start again in the evening, it didn't start. Saw some fuel leaking from the bottom of my fuel filter onto the pavement - changed the filter to a new unit and made sure everything was tight. Also tested the spill valve relay and it works fine. Vehicle will not start.

I'm thinking it's the spill valve or the ECU.

I would assume that the new Denso unit is tuned ready to go, just want to make sure.

Also welcome any feedback on dianostics.

Let me add: in the evening it did start once but the engine was shaking roughly and making a clicking/knocking noise. After changing the filter and priming it, it didn't start at all.

Sounds really similar to a problem I had with my KZJ95 Prado when I first bought it. You would have to keep turning it over for ages to get it to start when cold. When warm, it would start straight away. I have the electronic spill valve and fixed the problem by cleaning the filters in the bottom of the valve and by adding 12v DC straight from the battery to the terminals on top of the valve multiple times in quick succession to loosen up the solenoid on the valve. What ever I did, worked a treat! No probs for a year and a half/two years. That was with the electronic controlled spill valve though. Not sure if you can transfer this tip over to yours?

Sounds really similar to a problem I had with my KZJ95 Prado when I first bought it. You would have to keep turning it over for ages to get it to start when cold. When warm, it would start straight away. I have the electronic spill valve and fixed the problem by cleaning the filters in the bottom of the valve and by adding 12v DC straight from the battery to the terminals on top of the valve multiple times in quick succession to loosen up the solenoid on the valve. What ever I did, worked a treat! No probs for a year and a half/two years. That was with the electronic controlled spill valve though. Not sure if you can transfer this tip over to yours?

The KZJ95 spill valves are all electronic, no? We would have the same spill valve. I already ordered a new one so I’ll likely just pop the new one in. I’ll be sure to clean the filter below it - thanks!

The KZJ95 spill valves are all electronic, no? We would have the same spill valve. I already ordered a new one so I’ll likely just pop the new one in. I’ll be sure to clean the filter below it - thanks!
Ahh maybe they are? Just that mine doesn't have the fuel adjust nut on the top. Fuel adjustment is done via piggy back ECU (Unichip in my case).

I reckon you'll be fine to just pop the new one in. If it needs a tweak up/down, theirs plenty of info out there discussing this process. It all sounds fairly straightforward. Good luck. Be sure to report back on how it goes 👍

The spill valve replacement was a pretty simple affair when I did it, but the part itself wasn’t cheap. I cut down a fan wrench and bent it a few degrees, and was able to pull the FSV after removing the airbox. You can measure the height of the threads on the screw of the old FSV and adjust the new one to match.

I don’t recall what the reading is supposed to be, but the factory service manual lists an acceptable resistance reading across the FSV- that might be an easier place to start?

Just realized that I didn’t report back!

So as I stated, I changed the ECD relay around noon and drove the car home. In the evening it started and ran, but the engine was shaking. Changed the fuel filter, and it did not want to start.

Got it towed to my mechanic, and handed him a new ECU and Spill Valve. First thing he did was try start the vehicle and it started. He didn’t change or touch anything. It has been running perfect ever since (6 months). So now I have a spare spill valve and ECU :)

Turns out it WAS the ECD relay, and probably the fuel filter was not primed from when I was playing around with it earlier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom