1hdt - turbo exhaust manifold CRACKED (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
I was taking off the heat shield to install and EGT probe and uncovered a crack in the exhaust manifold leading to my turbo. F&$K

before I replace with OEM, any tips or other options I should look at? The oil is PB Blaster for the bolts. Everything was completely dry.

D39EFF54-1CF6-48D1-8FAD-5ECE16D8331F.jpeg

9486C476-B939-4999-82B3-2440391831F8.jpeg

ordered new OEM manifold, gaskets, and all the little goodies...

the crack looks old and unaffected for years, so I do not think it goes all of the way through. Should be fine for our weekend camping trip Until the parts arrive.

I'd replace the manifold studs and nuts too, fairly low cost items and it'll save any headaches.

Also, consider replacing the back half manifold too. The two parts can be an absolute bear to separate, and the rings in the join can be rusted and seized in place. I've had to grind and chisel them out previously.

Last edited:
I'd replace the manifold studs and nuts too, fairly life cost items and it'll save any headaches.

Also, consider replacing the back half manifold too. The two parts can be an absolute bear to separate, and the rings in the join can be rusted and seized in place. I've had to grind and chisel them out previously.
Yeah I ordered new studs and bolts. Only thing I am having trouble finding is the rear part to the manifold. I’ll keep hunting.

Got some dyno charts, or seat of pants?
There's dyno charts of the comparison on their website which shows about 15% increase in torque from memory. But seat of the pants feels like it's much more, I now take off in second everywhere where before I needed first gear.

Got some dyno charts, or seat of pants?
The only accurate way to measure it is going to be on an engine dyno. Chassis dynos can be helped to make a good looking reading very easily. I personally find it very hard to believe that it's a 15% increase on the same tune. Anyway, the factory manifold is far cheaper.

The only accurate way to measure it is going to be on an engine dyno. Chassis dynos can be helped to make a good looking reading very easily. I personally find it very hard to believe that it's a 15% increase on the same tune. Anyway, the factory manifold is far cheaper.

Agreed. Back to back, 15% is a big claim. I don't see the OEM manifold as being that shìtty.

They are both a log style manifold, and the aftermarket one is not a true split pulse design

Agreed. Back to back, 15% is a big claim. I don't see the OEM manifold as being that shìtty.

They are both a log style manifold, and the aftermarket one is not a true split pulse design
The one I have is 100% a true split pulse design. ;)

Radius Fabrications also makes a merged design but it's not split pulse. Looks good but I haven't tested this one yet but might be soon due to needing a T3 flange for my next test turbo.

FB_IMG_1592122834776.jpg

Last edited:
The one I have is 100% a true split pulse design. ;)

I did some googling, because just having a divider in the manifold didn't necessarily give a true split pulse manifold.
The firing order of the hd series engines means that it actually is a split pulse configuration. 👍

I think unless you have a turbo with a split turbine entry, your not getting full benefit of the split pulse.

There's dyno charts of the comparison on their website which shows about 15% increase in torque from memory. But seat of the pants feels like it's much more, I now take off in second everywhere where before I needed first gear.
Am keen to replace my current manifold with eclipse split pulse on my 1hdfte with GTurbo bad boy red wheel and all the other fruit required. Any more commentary on the split manifold that you might be able to contribute. Am hoping I can get an earlier spool and earlier power torque from split manifold

Am keen to replace my current manifold with eclipse split pulse on my 1hdfte with GTurbo bad boy red wheel and all the other fruit required. Any more commentary on the split manifold that you might be able to contribute. Am hoping I can get an earlier spool and earlier power torque from split manifold
Yes mate, the split pulse manifold will do exactly that. It's a great improvement from the factory manifold.

Trying to work out if anyone with a 1hdfte can provide some commentary as most reports are on 1hdft also my GTurbo set up is another aspect to be taken into consideration. I should do a before and after

Trying to work out if anyone with a 1hdfte can provide some commentary as most reports are on 1hdft also my GTurbo set up is another aspect to be taken into consideration. I should do a before and after
The 1hdft and 1hdfte are both 24v head engines. There will not be a major difference in that aspect, only real difference is efi.

I forgot they have actually changed their design this year and no longer make the stainless version. It's now cast iron with ceramic coating and they have increased the running diameter for more volume. I personally don't like the idea of going for more volume in the runners as I want mine as small as possible but I haven't actually tested this new version to compare. It would be interesting to try though.
145394029_3580071922030607_2267105448772449031_o.jpg

145022249_3580072352030564_7945901261433497280_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom