1hdt glow plug preheater timer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday all just wondering if anyone has had same or similar problem with a 1991 hdj80 my glow plug preheater timer had burnt out and now causing both starter relay and glow relay to click like machine guns, I got a second hand preheater and put it in now it's causing My 7.5 charge fuse to blow instantly. I have changed alternator, fusible links, both starter and glow relays and still have the problem I'm now looking at 're resistor on the intake manifold from what I have read they have one, iv had autosparkies look at it and they can't diagnose the problem!
The engine has been rebuilt 2 months ago everything on It has been new and upgraded if that helps cheers

Mate, in Whyalla, you'll never see temps low enough to need the preheat. I'd pull the fuse and leave it out.

My 1HD-T would start instantaneously, without giving it time to preheat even in mid winter in the Snowy's at -10°c.

If you were in far north America in winter you'd want it, but it's not needed in Australia at all IMO

Yea copy that mate she starts pretty easy without it I was just more worried about he charge fuse being blown if it cause further damage up the wiring harness, on another note do you know if they have a glow resistor?

The motor is direct injected and does not need the plugs, unless in Siberia.

There two pre heat versions, the 12 valve has glow plugs, the later 24 valve had a heater matrix in the inlet manifold.

There have been mods where the two have been mixed and swapped about up so check what you have.

The later versions have a large relay under the battery tray that burns up and causes grief, replace with something other than the OE unit and save $'s.

If you have the plugs in the head then start by pulling the bus bar, the cable at the rear rubs through and shorts so check that out as well. Next the cabling that runs under the fuse box can rub through and again another short.

All I have ATM as these faults have all been seen on the diesel motors I have worked on.

Regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom