1HD-T vs 1HD-FT (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are there any folks on here who are familiar with both of these engine?

I am seeking opinions about the running differences between them. Things like torque performance in offroad conditions, and on road running.

I know the torque peak is at a much higher RPM on the FT engines than on the T engines, I'm seeking input on the "driveability" differences as far as climbing up steep grades, etc.

I would think the FT engines would be better runners on highway, comments?

And has anyone successfully done any kind of conversions, modifications, adjustments, etc, to an FT engine to boost the lower-rpm torque, or bring the torque peak down into a lower rpm range?

thanks

Search feature will be your best friend when it comes to this question, been answered few times before.

Goodluck.

Robbie

I suspect you'll find the FT produces the same torque as the T at lower rpm, just it keeps building to a higher peak at higher rpm.

I haven't driven the FT, but I have driven the FTE plenty. It has no issues delivering low end torque.

Hello I have one 1HDT 12 valves, personaly i prefer the 12 V to the 24 V ( 1HDFT ). The 12 V have more torque at lower rpm. Perhaps the 24 V in highway runs a little bit more. The 24 V with one intercooler, diesel bomb little open and the Turbocharger with a little of more pressure it converts in a very powerfull engine.

The 1HDT 12 V is the best diesel engine made by Toyota.

Miguel

Are there any folks on here who are familiar with both of these engine?

I am seeking opinions about the running differences between them. Things like torque performance in offroad conditions, and on road running.

I know the torque peak is at a much higher RPM on the FT engines than on the T engines, I'm seeking input on the "driveability" differences as far as climbing up steep grades, etc.

I would think the FT engines would be better runners on highway, comments?

And has anyone successfully done any kind of conversions, modifications, adjustments, etc, to an FT engine to boost the lower-rpm torque, or bring the torque peak down into a lower rpm range?

thanks

I have had both of these engines and by far the 1HD-FT has more power and runs better than the 1HD-T. The FT has 24 valves instead of 12 and makes a huge difference on the power it produces and when it produces it. I had both engines in 80 series (one from Europe one a JDM) If you have a choice on what engine to get and the price is close go with the FT you will not regrete it.

Cheers,

Michael

"The T produces more low end then the FT" is a myth.The FT has just as much urge as the T low down and then some.The adoption of 24v heads was primarily for emmision regs a and economy.The FT in the 80 also benefits HUGELY from the fitting of good IC.

The facts are that as time progresses,the 1HD T will become harder find in g/c and the 1HD FT will become more available(hopefully)
The cost of repairing a fuel pump on the 1HD FT and 1HD FTE has been a lot higher than the rebuild cost of a 1HD T pump.
A plus for the 1HD FT,is that the BEB problem seemed to have been more or less sorted out by the time of its introduction (but still occurring).
The 1HD T would have to be the winner in simplicity and availabilty.
The FT and FTEs sell for a few $1000 more in oz ,so it boils down to how much you want to spend but your not going to be disapointed with either.

"The T produces more low end then the FT" is a myth.The FT has just as much urge as the T low down and then some.

Two of those I've driven definately had a lack of torque below 2000rpm, maybe yours had already been tweaked ? I have driven one which was supposed to have been bones stock and never touches, but had obviously been modified, maybe some dealers used to do it right away when the sold them new ?

The cost of repairing a fuel pump on the 1HD FT and 1HD FTE has been a lot higher than the rebuild cost of a 1HD T pump.

What exactly are the differences between an HD-T pump and an HD-FT pump?
I'd expect them to be virtually identical. Neither has any electronic control.

What exactly are the differences between an HD-T pump and an HD-FT pump?
I'd expect them to be virtually identical. Neither has any electronic control.

I think the 1HD FT pumps at higher pressure.
I remember the fuel injection shop telling me that some of the Toyota turbo pumps can hit $4-5000 for a rebuild.
The rebuilt units are typically a $1000 or more for a 1HD FT on ebay
Whether its completely justified is anyones guess.

There is a rebuilt 1HD T pump for sale on aussie ebay now if anyone needs one. $1150 exchange or $1680 outright

Ok a few more facts for you. The 1HD-T and 1HD-FT are no longer in production, the 1HD-FTE is still in production for marine applications (yanmar I know of, probably a few others).

Oh, and the little old 1HZ is still in production in land cruisers :D

Although I heard that this may be the last year, with the good results so far on the V8 D4D.

So you be the judge, we all know that Toyota is pretty good business wies, what should this tell you about these engines based on what is and what is not in production.

Cheers,

Michael

What markets are still getting the 1HZ?

I can't imagine many parts carrying over from the 1HD-FTE into the yanmar. Even though they started life the same.

What markets are still getting the 1HZ?

I can't imagine many parts carrying over from the 1HD-FTE into the yanmar. Even though they started life the same.

Middle East Saudi, Dubi, etc.

The Yanmar is a 1HD-FTE with a few parts missing from it like the vacum pump, but it is the same engine.

The Yanmar is a 1HD-FTE with a few parts missing from it like the vacum pump, but it is the same engine.

Are you sure about that? Other people have told me it's only the block that's the same.
Given that the FTE produces about 440Nm and this yanmar produces 750Nm I suspect you'll find more differences than similarities.
The turbo, injectors and pump on the stock FTE wouldn't produce the air or fuel necessary to deliver 300hp.
There will also be lower compression to put up with that amount of boost.

To get that amount of torque and burn cleanly it'll need enough boost to get 2.5 times the air in. That's about 30psi boost with a lot of intercooling (no problem on a boat).
The FTE runs around 10psi.

http://www.yanmarmarine.co.nz/_attachments/LP/pdf/6LPA-STP_TechData.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom