1HD-FT uprated fuel pump return line (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. I've had a long range tank in my HDJ80R for a decade or more, recently the guys in the fuel injection shop toild me the pump was junked because of corrosion in that tank, and told me not to use it. They hooked me up with an uprated fuel pump as I'm pulling a large RV a lot recently, it's making about 250hp.

Anyways - we have enough oomph to make the rig go, but she has a thirst like a sailor on shore leave, so I've been busying myself with a new rear tank this weekend. Problem is, on the maiden voyage, there's an epic leak, which I haven't tracked down yet, but from a very brief glance right on the mosquito witching hour, I think it might be the return. I didn't go faster than 30-35 mph on my maiden voyage to take on some fuel (120 litres), but everything in the back, under body, diff, suspension, exhaust, tank itself, is liberally coated with fuel.

It looks like a 4mm ID return, and my first thought was 'Is that enough?'. The filler, breather and gauge sensor flange are all dry. So unless the tank itself has a serious leak (unseen as yet) it looks like it's the feed or return to blame.

Welcome thoughts?

Cheers,
Alex

So it turns out, that as delivered, the Outback Accessories rear tank has red plastic caps on all the hose barbs. What I hadn't noticed was the return line was welded up aswell.

Once I'd cut the end off (with a tube cutter, not a hacksaw) the problem, unsurprisingly went away. Duh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom