1fzfe timing issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Purchases a running motor to throw into my 40th edition w a blown motor. I chose to do the timing chain and headgasket while it was out. Did the deed and am now im putting it back together

Timing cover on
Head on
Have the crank pull at "0"
When I match the cams one dot
And the two dot marks level with head
The chain sprocket and intake cam do not venter correctly.

Help please. Lol
BTW im a newb
Bad decision to die? I hope not 🤷‍♂️

20201122_155328.jpg

20201122_155332.jpg

20201122_155429.jpg

20201122_155434.jpg

20201122_155332.jpg

Is piston #1 at top dead center (TDC) on the compression stroke when the timing mark is at 0 and you are checking things out? The 0 mark is encountered at other times as well so confirming #1 TDC as well as the 0 mark are both important for positioning the crank before you then setup the cam timings.

Is piston #1 at top dead center (TDC) on the compression stroke when the timing mark is at 0 and you are checking things out? The 0 mark is encountered at other times as well so confirming #1 TDC as well as the 0 mark are both important for positioning the crank before you then setup the cam timings.

#1 was at TDC when I placed the head on but to ensure my timing mark on the pully was dead on zero I had to turn the crank. So seems I need to take the head off and try this again.

I dont think you need to take the head back out. Carefully take the cam sprocket out and rotate it 1 tooth to the left ( counter-clockwise) but make sure you hold the timing chain and dont drop it back down

I dont think you need to take the head back out. Carefully take the cam sprocket out and rotate it 1 tooth to the left ( counter-clockwise) but make sure you hold the timing chain and dont drop it back down

That could be the issue. But if poole is correct. Due to me turning the crank over several times while the head was back on. It may be hitting 0 but not TDC at #1

Agree on not removing the head unless absolutely necessary. I didn't look at your pictures closely and just wanted to start with the basics. Try what @azngarage is suggesting and share more info/pics and I'm sure that with the help of this forum you can at least figure out what's going on before diving into a head removal.

Okay. So to clarify

I took the head off and timing cover. When placing the timing chain on i lined one timing chain marks (the darker link) on the timing sprocket and the other on the lower stroket. At that time #1 was at TDC.

After finishing up placing the head on and cams in place I noticed the crank pulley notch was not completely aligned w the "0". So I had to turn over the crank multiple times to get the crank pull dead on "0".

Now the crank pulley is on "0". The timing chain mark is lined up w the timing mark on the sprocket.

After all this I began lining the cams correctly. One dot marks aligned. Two dot marks aligned w the head.

That is when I noticed this issue.

Thanks for the suggestions. I dont mind having to go back in (even tho I dread it) I just want to ensure its done properly.

You shouldn't have to pull the head.

I'd get the engine to TDC on the compression stroke for #1 and then get your cam timing set per the FSM from there. Unless I'm mistaken the chain alignment doesn't have to be perfect you really just need to make sure that the crank and cam positions are correct in relation to each other. In other words I'd not focus too much on the position of the dark link and would just focus on the cam / crank positioning and then the distributor positioning once the crank/cam are in time with each other.
  1. TDC for #1 on the compression stroke and timing mark at 0 on the pulley
  2. get your cams/dots correct per the FSM
  3. install the dizzy correctly then fine tune ignition timing
and you should be good to go re timing unless I'm missing something.

Good luck.

Took your guys advice. Had two mechanic muddy take a look.all is (or should be lol) good. Turned the sprocket back one tooth. Everything is aligned perfectly.

Thanks alot. I really appreciate the quick responses. This community is always willing and helpful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom