1FZ-FE EGR (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi - I removed the upper intake manifold from my '95 FZJ80 to sort out some evap system issues and clear my EGR passages.
Everything is going OK (aside from most of the evap doodads being toast) EXCEPT: There is a vac hose from the EGR valve straight to a small steel tube sticking out of the manifold, between the #5 and #6 runners. There is a matching tube on the other (bottom) side, with a vac hose leading to the VSV. It looks like one tube routed straight through the manifold like an arrow. Problem is, when I try to run a paper clip through it from either end, it stops solid at about a half inch in. Can anyone tell me if it IS indeed one straight tube? I am tempted to run a drill through it, but if they are really two separate tubes that angle off into passages inside the manifold casting, that would be a very big OOPS!

Hi - I removed the upper intake manifold from my '95 FZJ80 to sort out some evap system issues and clear my EGR passages.
Everything is going OK (aside from most of the evap doodads being toast) EXCEPT: There is a vac hose from the EGR valve straight to a small steel tube sticking out of the manifold, between the #5 and #6 runners. There is a matching tube on the other (bottom) side, with a vac hose leading to the VSV. It looks like one tube routed straight through the manifold like an arrow. Problem is, when I try to run a paper clip through it from either end, it stops solid at about a half inch in. Can anyone tell me if it IS indeed one straight tube? I am tempted to run a drill through it, but if they are really two separate tubes that angle off into passages inside the manifold casting, that would be a very big OOPS!

Checked mine yesterday, drill bit slides through. So, yours is clogged. I'd drill it out. I was prepared for that myself.
Good news for you, you will have resolved at least one problem.

Wow, that threads got some really funny stuff.

Full disclosure, I guess...
My engine is out and apart. so EVERYTHING is easy to look at/work on. Relatively speaking, anyway :meh: :bang:

Checked mine yesterday, drill bit slides through. So, yours is clogged. I'd drill it out. I was prepared for that myself.
Good news for you, you will have resolved at least one problem.
Thanks a bunch! I like it when people tell me what I want to hear!

So what does this passage actually become clogged with? I mean, I get that it's always "carbon" but where is that coming from? It can't be hot EGR gases.

So what does this passage actually become clogged with? I mean, I get that it's always "carbon" but where is that coming from? It can't be hot EGR gases.
Carbon particles in exhaust gases via egr mixing with oil clouds from PCV. I cut off my egr 9y ago, 0% carbon since that time, doesn't need even cleaning throttle body so often like before. Carbon from egr will builup even on top of intake valves

Is this what you’re referring to? I was watching Otramm and he specifically pointed the need to unclog this bit out on his YouTube video.

E4E8D993-9141-47F5-9EEC-4A5DDDC47B65.png

378814A1-F740-4C22-8DAF-35D1E7D3D1CB.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom