1999 UZJ100 Intermittently Drops Dead (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update on this issue: replacing the EFI fuse kept this problem from happening for four years. Then last year it began to crop up again. Each time I would replace the EFI fuse, and the problem would stop. However, it began to happen with increasing frequency. Last week I was having trouble starting it at all. At one point I got it running, and on a hunch I very lightly pushed on the EFI fuse (which was new) with a screwdriver. The vehicle immediately dropped dead. So, my conclusion was that the fusebox was bad...and that probably was the issue this whole time. Since the fusebox is sealed I didn't see a way to repair the EFI fuse contacts, so I ordered a new fusebox from American Toyota. Kinda pricey even with the mud discount ($408 delivered, but it also had the covers and most of the relays / fuses already installed). They said they've never sold one before, so this is not a thing that is commonly replaced.

Anyway, I just installed it yesterday, and the 100 started up immediately. I've started it a few times since then and no issues, but haven't taken it on the road yet. I'll update this thread later to report whether this issue is finally solved or not.

I'll just add to this thread that the efi fuse may be the culprit all along. I never had dropped accelerator issues but rather no start issues.

Wiggling and reseating the efi fuse would fix it. I ended up cutting down the plastic around the fuse contacts exposing the two clamps. I then soldered a 30amp large style fuse holder from the boat store into that fuse.

So far so good. Cheap fix.

Two and a half years later, and this has never happened again after replacing the fusebox. The 100 has been running like clockwork, 228k miles and counting.

We did have a front end collision at one point, and I'm fairly sure it cracked the fusebox.

SOLVED! i know its late but for anyone looking in the future, for series !00 land cruisers and Lx470. if you have a crank and no start issue its not the EFI relay, fuse or fuel pump. It's the fuse block in the engine compartment itself. best way to diagnose it, when you have the no start and cranking only issue, have the key in the ignition and position TWO (where the instrument cluster lights up) see if your check engine light up or not. If your ENGINE light comes on, this is not for you. if your ENGINE light is not on, the pin on the fuse block where the EFI relay plugs (bottom right pin) is not getting contact, therefore you have no fuel and and a no start condition. Try jump a a small wire from Battery positive to the bottom right have pin where the EFI RELAY plugs in with the relay and start the car, should guide you to where the problem sits its upto you on how you solve it with a new fuse block or just finding a way to put contacts for the relay don't throw $$$$$ at the EFI relay or pump etc. i have seen too many people here being misguided i cannot stand it anymore

The fuse surroundings (the part the fuse sits in) for my EFI fuse broke off. I am assuming from the years of heat in the desert. How hard was it after you bought the new fuse box to install it? It seems you would have to cut and connect all the wires and that seems like a mess. Or does the top of it just pop off and you plug the new one in? If that is the case I am going to do that. In the mean time I have bought a 20 amp inline fuse and installed connectors on it and connected them directly to the 2 pins where the fuse surrounding was. It works fine but sometimes stalls. It then starts right back again. I'd like to solve this correctly though if it isn't going to be a huge ordeal. 1998 LC daily driver with 308K miles. Any info on replacing the fuse box would be much appreciated!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom