1991 HDJ81 for sale in Vancouver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1991 Toyota Landcruiser HDJ81 VX Limited (RHD, auto)

Just bought a new truck and can't keep both. Make me an offer...

Please contact me by PM or reply to this thread.

$16,500
266,xxx km
Purchased for $20k through Outback Imports in Feb 2007 w/150,000km
Fully baselined at ATEB at that time (including BEB)
$17k in parts alone spent since then. . .
No accidents
Drives great, sounds great, looks great, always a conversation starter, by far the best vehicle I've owned.
Currently insured and stored indoors in Richmond.

P7110162.jpg

IMG_20131026_113406.jpg

IMGP3728.jpg

Engine

• Safari Snorkle
• Gturbo 1st Generation Grunter Turbo (makes 20psi @ 1500rpm)
• Modified fuel pin +tuned to match turbo with safe EGTs
• Walbro 12V pusher pump, primes fast at filter change, no hand-pumping
• Always passes Aircare with ease
• Custom 4" Plenum
• Water-air intercooler system (tested at 69% effective)
• Water-methanol injection system
• 3.5" ceramic coated turbo dump pipe
• 3" mandrel bent exhaust with straight-through Dynomax muffler
• Wholesale Automatics Extreme Valve Body installed at ATEB
• Large Transmission Fluid Cooler
• Lower rad hose heater, battery blankets
• Optima Yellow Top batteries, replaced as a pair ~2yrs ago
• Timing Belt done recently
• ACSD removed

Suspension

• Old Man Emu "J" springs and "L" shocks -- approx 4" lift
• Level stance and no driveline vibrations or weird handling
• Adjustable front and rear panhard bars to center axles
• Front and rear sway bars are currently installed
• 35x12.5x16" Interco TrXus M/T tires @63%, factory rims, brand new 34" spare
• Electric lockers front+rear -- and they work
• "Pin 7 mod" to allow Low range without locking center diff
• Caster correction plates
• Slee Offroad front double cardan driveshaft
• Big brake upgrade on front end -- uses late model larger rotors and calipers with bigger pads -- significantly improves braking over stock

Inside

• Pillar gauge pod w/ Isspro EGT / Boost / Trans Temp Gauges
• Air conditioning and center console Cool Box work
• Compustar alarm w/ power door locks and proximity sensor
• Turbo Timer
• JVC double DIN CD/Bluetooth head unit, Alpine amps, 12" sub in rear panel
• Viair 12V onboard air w/ 11 gallon tank under bed and quick connects front+rear
• Heated front seats
• Rear Husky cargo liner
• Better cup holder

Outside

• Body is in very good shape
• ARB Front winch bumper
• Aisin factory winch w/ remote and Amsteel blue synthetic winch rope
• 6" Pro Comp driving lights
• Cruisin' Offroad Sliders (bolt-on)
• 6 ARB rain gutter clamps and home-made steel boat rack

Fluids

• Amsoil Heavy Duty Diesel Full Synthetic Oil since I've owned it, including original Toyota oil filters
• Amsoil bypass filtration system
• Amsoil Synthetic Gear Oil in front+rear diffs + tcase

Other

• Quite a few extra parts, spare turbo, 3" exhaust and intercooler parts, some parts that I was collecting to begin a 4" exhaust system, huge bag of various sized spare Toyota bolts
• A fair bit of maintenance was done at ATEB in Jan 2010 including injection pump resealing, injector removal and rebuilding (Fred Holmes), front knuckle resealing, valve clearances, coolant and steering fluid flushes, wheel bearings, and much more (~$5000).
• Chassis and Engine Manuals, aftermarket parts instruction manuals, alarm wiring diagrams, as well as customized part numbers list and modification details provided to help out down the road
• Will be eligible for US import in 2016, 10x the market, should be very easy to resell

What's wrong:

• Cooling system pushes some fluid back into reservoir on long periods of full load. It only does a small amount, at which point it stabilizes for as long as I keep driving. After a few cool down cycles it draws the fluid back to the normal level. It doesn't do this during city driving, regular highway driving, or offroad - only long hard highway hill runs with a heavy load. This has happened for almost 2 yrs with no change. The system does not overflow or lose any fluid and has never overheated.
• Tree scratch down passenger side door. Could probably be cleaned up without too much trouble.
• Typical small leaks/weeps from a 23 year old truck. It doesn't lose any fluids in quantities sufficient to require refilling. Oil level doesn't change between fills.
• Exhaust system is 6 years old and some areas are getting rusty. With some patch work it will last a couple of years without major work.
• Power windows are very slow in cold weather, which is typical for 80-series Landcruisers, there are several known methods of improving this.
• Front wipers high speed position has never worked, possibly needs switch cleaning.

Last edited:
Funny, I showed my wife your truck and told her of all the mods and she told me to buy it cause it's pretty and mine is ugly! Yet she still doesn't give her blessing on a Jet boat...what gives?

What she knows but doesn't seem to understand is I have a problem turning around before I see the end of the road and your pretty truck would soon look like mine.:hillbilly:

Christ what a financial downhill sleighride...

Absolutely... We have pretty much the same agenda, and likely a similar financial HDJ81 history. With all the money I have sunk into the LC I could have had a Land Rover Evoq and sold it after 5 years for a similar 'depreciation profile'. But not quite the same. Still- it pains me to see these trucks have such poor resale now...

adam before you go to the other side, never did here if the last mod you did (intake mod) tied everything together? is it worth it after the turbo ,meth ,and intercooler mods ,or do you figure the intake mod was a must , tieing it all together? congrads on the sale allbeit a loss. couldnt do better for a replacement i figure, friend of mine is a engineer and has a sweet cummins with a few homebrew mods ,his latest is a gear vendor under over drive between the tranny and t/c , quite the highway haulling machine , to say the least.

Congrats on the sale! Someone has a nice Cruiser!

I think I saved a lot of money doing things myself including importing my cruiser. My purchase price was $6500 and around 10k by the time I got it here all said and done. Although I've put about 10k of maintenance and mods into it since then and a ton of hours.

I can't see myself ever getting rid of it till the engine goes. It's pretty useless towing the travel trailor up highway hills but it's still an awesome adventure rig that's been very reliable. My buddys dodge 1 ton had a tie rod fail in the mall parking lot. As far as money goes people spend 15k on quads and side by sides and they can't even roll up the windows and turn the AC on when the logging road gets dusty.....such an inconvience when you're sipping a latte....:(:D

Yeah- I am realistic about it, Adam's truck is likely comparable to mine, guess I'd better keep it forever. A nice rig for the purchaser for sure and a strong value considering all the effort and money put in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom