1991 3F-E De-Smog Performed (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did my 3FE desmog and its been running like the tractor engine it is for about 12k miles. No VSVs installed and really does run perfectly smooth. I suggest that you use a propane bottle with a length of vacuum hose to find the vacuum leak that I believe you may have. Turn the bottle on a bit to know thats its flowing and then move the hose end around the all the intake surfaces, when the RPMs increase you have found the leak, or one of them. Pay particular attention to all of the air intake hose fittings from the air filter to the throttle body. Good luck and keep us posted.

@ColoradoBoy that would be awesome! Still didn’t figure this out. I might still want to hook it up if it helps with mpg.
@Curtice: here are a couple of pics. Sorry it took me so long...
Hope they help.

IMG_5962.JPG

IMG_5963.JPG

IMG_5964.JPG

Those pics are SUPER great. Any chance you could get a couple of the red circles that make sense? Diagrams of the correct connections are impossible to find.

mystery connections.jpg

@grantclev: Sorry it took so long. Hope these help.

IMG_6769.jpg

IMG_6770.jpg

I just got my 91 a couple of weeks ago and it runs like poop under 2k rpm's, it was desmogged already so Im not sure whats done correctly and whats not but looking through here again I noticed from Curtice photos I am missing a solenoid, is this ok or do I need to replace that solenoid?

View attachment 2933647
Hi all, currently doing this procedure to my 92 3FE. I am by no means bashing the above. Welding in a plug is a very solid solution, but requires full commitment. I found that a 3/4" pipe tap will thread right into the exhaust manifold hole for the EGR tube. This allows you to simply thread a 3/4" black pipe plug from any hardware store in to the hole for a clean look. The threads will no longer be base 10, (metric) but my OEM fitting would still thread in and seat - not happily, but it would fit and snug up. The hardest part was getting the OEM fitting out. Took a 500 lb/ft impact and a few squirts of PB Blaster to convince it that it did not want to become liquid.
Could be a possible "reverse" in the event the rig goes to a sniffer state.
(Needless to say, this mod is to be done on rigs intended for off road use only.) ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom