1988 4Runner: cranks but won't start... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I ordered the coolant temperature sensor, the one that controlls the cold start time switch. I got it in the mail today and installed it. Tomorrow I have the perfect oppertunity to see if it will solve the problem. I need to go for a 15-20 minute ride, which should be enough time to get the coolant hot enough. Then I'll be at my appointment for about 45 minutes... Coolant should still be warm by the time i get back in and start her up. If the same problem happens, I'll know it wasn't the coolant sensor. :)

The theory is that the old sensor was still activating the cold start valve, even when the engine was hot, thus flooding the engine needlessly.

Good luck, I hope it works. Have you tested the fuel pump operation yet? The problem you are having is not an unusual one. My thoughts....fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, idle air valve, and perhaps an Igniter, not all but what I would look at.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Good luck, I hope it works. Have you tested the fuel pump operation yet? The problem you are having is not an unusual one. My thoughts....fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, idle air valve, and perhaps an Igniter, not all but what I would look at.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Not yet, I was going to tackle one part/system at a time. I took my ride today and parked for about 30-40 minutes... when I started it up, it started with a slight hesitatation, sort of a 1 second delay after it turned over. But at least I wasn't stranded. I'll take it for another long ride tomorrow just to be sure and park it for 15 minutes. It should still be pretty warm after 15 minutes-then I'll try and start it...this time I'll park it home, just in case. :) If I still have problems I'll check the fuel pressure regulator.

I've been using my truck for weeks now with no issues after changing the cold start temp sensor. Now the weather is warm and it's been pretty nice, almost hot outside. Not sure if the weather has anything to do with it but...

Now when I turn the key to start it up cold, it doesn't want to start on the first try. Then on the second try it will start but you can tell that it barely wants to.

I still haven't checked the other stuff like the AFM flap to see if it's sticking. I will do that today. Another thing I was thinking is that the cold start injector itself might be dirty or clogged. Is this a possibility?

-I don't think it's the cold start time switch because it kicks in and delivers fuel for start up, most of the time. :) Unless I'm getting fuel from another source.

-I don't think it's the fuel pump because if it was, I wouldn't get any fuel and it wouldn't start or at least it wouldn't stay running, right?

-Not sure if the Auxilary air valve has anything to do with it because from what I've read, those issues cause idle surges and I don't have those.

Today I will check the AFM flap and see if I can find the fuel filter and check it.

-

I just checked the flap on the AFM and it doesn't seem to be problematic... It moves fine and doesn't stick. This is the flap right behind the air filter... unless there is another flap that I need to check?

Found the fuel filter... Looks like it's gonna be a pain to get to. I just might bring it to the dealer to have them do it. :rolleyes:

i have the same problem as well. it is not as hard as you think to change filter.
There is a bracket that you can remove in your passengers side wheel to make it easier to get to. ( i removed the wheel as well ) i put new pump and filter plugs and spark plugs in mine and still can not get it to run. i am going to try and replace the control relay and see if that works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom