1982 FJ60 2F - oil pressure sender Denso vs Yazaki? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I'm fitting the oil filter housing and oil cooler from a 1982 FJ60 2F parts truck to my 1974 FJ40 F.5. Currently searching for the hollow banjo bolt that was missing and accommodates the oil pressure sender. I was looking at the parts diagrams and it shows two options for the sender: 83520-14021 made by Denso, and 83520-55011 made by Yazaki. Three questions:

0. Are they functionally the same?
1. If so, do you guys have a preference for one or the other?
2. The diagram does not show any sort of sealing washer or o-ring between the sender and hollow banjo bolt; how is it sealed (same copper washer that the banjo bolt uses, or what)?

The cluster will be swapped eventually to a restomod digital unit and I'd like to have the oil sender available at that time so I can just deal with wiring and/or ranging.

Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm fitting the oil filter housing and oil cooler from a 1982 FJ60 2F parts truck to my 1974 FJ40 F.5. Currently searching for the hollow banjo bolt that was missing and accommodates the oil pressure sender. I was looking at the parts diagrams and it shows two options for the sender: 83520-14021 made by Denso, and 83520-55011 made by Yazaki. Three questions:

0. Are they functionally the same?
1. If so, do you guys have a preference for one or the other?
2. The diagram does not show any sort of sealing washer or o-ring between the sender and hollow banjo bolt; how is it sealed (same copper washer that the banjo bolt uses, or what)?

The cluster will be swapped eventually to a restomod digital unit and I'd like to have the oil sender available at that time so I can just deal with wiring and/or ranging.

Thanks!

your forgetting 1 important restore refresh and simple must have status topic ,

ENGINE WIRE No. 4 Sub harness KIT ..

part # 82124-90A01
it's a good thing i stopped by to say happy holidays and stuff , .... :santa:

or you could of over looked this critical mission part too ...

there is ONLY 1 oem part # for the oil sender at the dealer , source it there NOT anywhere else

thanks
matt

1672290721346.png

oilsenderwire4_2048x.jpg

B7C0298A-D601-4192-9273-2C863A4721AD_2a1fe06c-c23e-415e-b122-ed41c043e867_2048x.jpg

1672290767315.png

Nice, I'll grab one from you when we ship out that order. I can see some of the threads on the sender in your pics, so I think that answers my question about how it seals (tapered pipe thread). Thanks Matt.

Nice, I'll grab one from you when we ship out that order. I can see some of the threads on the sender in your pics, so I think that answers my question about how it seals (tapered pipe thread). Thanks Matt.

thats correct JIS PIPE TAPER on sender

JIS fine thread straight bore on cooler bolt head or filter housing

here is your oil sender part # 83520-60011

make DAM sure you confirm this with your local dealer , there have been alot of oil sender part number changes in last 2 years for some odd reason ?

this part # IS a YAZAKI OEM parts maker and should have a triangle logo on the brass base hex portion along with a TEq logo

here is your oil sender part # 83520-60011

make DAM sure you confirm this with your local dealer , there have been alot of oil sender part number changes in last 2 years for some odd reason ?

this part # IS a YAZAKI OEM parts maker and should have a triangle logo on the brass base hex portion along with a TEq logo
Thanks. So here's a listing of the three P/Ns after comparing pics on toyotapartsdeal.com and checking production dates on japan-parts.eu:

83520-55011: Yazaki, up to 1/83. No extra ground terminal (grounded through block)
83520-35032 (superseded from 83520-14021): Denso, up to 1/83. No extra ground terminal (grounded through block)
83520-60011 (superseded from 83520-60010): Yazaki, up to 8/87 for FJ60 but also beyond for 3FE-equipped models. Extra ground terminal on case (I'm guessing also grounding through block? EDIT: ground terminal not used on Cruiser applications as per below)

I bet they all have the same specs w.r.t signal. EDIT: as per below, the Yazaki sensors are functionally the same.

Last edited:
Some more info from some Googling: Oil pressure concerns with 92 & earlier SR5 clusters....clarified - YotaTech Forums - https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160/oil-pressure-concerns-92-earlier-sr5-clusters-clarified-220052/

...looks like for the 4Runners/Hiluxes the way to determine Yazaki vs Denso is to look at the cluster: a Yazaki cluster/gauge will need the Yazaki sender and a Denso will need a Denso. OFC that's for physically different senders on those trucks; the 55011 and 35032 look the same for Cruisers. Going to keep going down this rabbit hole just for kicks; don't need it for the stock '74 cluster so whatever I get will just be a hole plug until the cluster gets upgraded.

Last edited:
Some more info from some Googling: Oil pressure concerns with 92 & earlier SR5 clusters....clarified - YotaTech Forums - https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160/oil-pressure-concerns-92-earlier-sr5-clusters-clarified-220052/

...looks like for the 4Runners/Hiluxes the way to determine Yazaki vs Denso is to look at the cluster: a Yazaki cluster/gauge will need the Yazaki sender and a Denso will need a Denso. OFC that's for physically different senders on those trucks; the 55011 and 35032 look the same. Going to keep going down this rabbit hole just for kicks; don't need it for the stock '74 cluster so whatever I get will just be a hole plug until the cluster gets upgraded.

What cluster do you have going on ,

??

Stock cluster right now, planned upgrade to a Dakota Digital. On that note, did some more rabbit-holing and looks like they supply their own oil pressure sender so all this is moot. Hope it wasn't a waste of time, hopefully the info in this thread is helpful to others

the sender must match the guage in dash

so you will need a 1974 oil sender to match that cluster meter

Is there a Denso cluster for USA FJ40? I've never seen one.

The yazaki numbers all interchange. Operating parameters are the same. FWIW, They are bimetallic, not variable resistors. The presence of the grounding tab has no effect on the sender itself. The ground tab is not used in Cruiser applications.

Excellent, maybe if anybody sees a Denso gauge on the cluster they can report it here. Thanks for the replies you two; I feel this is a lot of good OPS info for posterity. Cheers

Excellent, maybe if anybody sees a Denso gauge on the cluster they can report it here. Thanks for the replies you two; I feel this is a lot of good OPS info for posterity. Cheers

that sounds like a DARE ......🤣

:D

s-l1600.jpg

i-img1200x900-1522134741zw0lmz22724.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i simply had no idea these little Sassy
NIPPONDENSO gauge clusters even existed ....... 😻

s-l1600.jpg

aba6a2cd7702a972e07a4347909d136d.jpg

Is there a Denso cluster for USA FJ40? I've never seen one.

The yazaki numbers all interchange. Operating parameters are the same. FWIW, They are bimetallic, not variable resistors. The presence of the grounding tab has no effect on the sender itself. The ground tab is not used in Cruiser applications.

I came across this thread trying to work out if having no continuity between the two terminals on my oil pressure sender (Yazaki, 83520-60010) means it's dead - could it be that the circuit only opens once there is more than a threshold pressure? The gauge works on a bimetallic drive (as does engine temperature and fuel level) but surely the sender unit operates on modulating resistance (like the thermistor temperature sender and rheostat fuel level sender)?

Perhap not in the US, but the two terminals are definitely used on some Landcruisers - my General market BJ60 has a grey coaxial wire coming from inside the vehicle - with the inner connecting to the pole of the sender and the braided outer connecting to the ground tab. I have seen (I think from Australia) a picture of the same setup on a 70 series. I saw a post on here where someone was asking about this coaxial line and was told - incorrectly - that it must thave been fitted by a past owner. I have two looms here (my own 1989 and a circa 1985 donor from a scrapped unit) and both have this coaxial wire.

Not sure whether my non functional gauge was because the braided ground line was missing, or whether the sender is dead, so I would appreciate your input.

Thanks

EO

I came across this thread trying to work out if having no continuity between the two terminals on my oil pressure sender (Yazaki, 83520-60010) means it's dead - could it be that the circuit only opens once there is more than a threshold pressure? The gauge works on a bimetallic drive (as does engine temperature and fuel level) but surely the sender unit operates on modulating resistance (like the thermistor temperature sender and rheostat fuel level sender)?

Perhap not in the US, but the two terminals are definitely used on some Landcruisers - my General market BJ60 has a grey coaxial wire coming from inside the vehicle - with the inner connecting to the pole of the sender and the braided outer connecting to the ground tab. I have seen (I think from Australia) a picture of the same setup on a 70 series. I saw a post on here where someone was asking about this coaxial line and was told - incorrectly - that it must thave been fitted by a past owner. I have two looms here (my own 1989 and a circa 1985 donor from a scrapped unit) and both have this coaxial wire.

Not sure whether my non functional gauge was because the braided ground line was missing, or whether the sender is dead, so I would appreciate your input.

Thanks

EO

some where along the line somebody hooked the 2 spade terminals up back wards

hence roasting your cluster oil gauge instantly ...

this is a COMMON thing

- below you have the GREY BUTTON CONNECTOR and a black male spade terminal , HARD to mix up

- both come with the updated YAZAKI DETENT BALL LOCKING BRASS TERMINAL ! :)

this IS the solution .....:

DSCN9971_2048x.JPG

B89D4907-3716-42F3-99E1-5D48E9FE208E.jpeg
9A94AE78-49D8-4CE7-8C0B-023EEC703BBC.jpeg
F5628886-79AC-4656-8933-5CD5BAF3974F.jpeg
6216D16F-3378-478F-A457-0C521FB0FE88.jpeg
4C01F809-CEC6-440E-AA5F-F880A1A75D66.jpeg

some where along the line somebody hooked the 2 spade terminals up back wards

hence roasting your cluster oil gauge instantly ...

this is a COMMON thing

- below you have the GREY BUTTON CONNECTOR and a black male spade terminal , HARD to mix up

- both come with the updated YAZAKI DETENT BALL LOCKING BRASS TERMINAL ! :)

this IS the solution .....:

DSCN9971_2048x.JPG

View attachment 3306625View attachment 3306626View attachment 3306627View attachment 3306628View attachment 3306629

Thanks Matt, I saw that thread where you helped someone who had cooked their oil pressur gauge - good learning there. Thankfully my locking Yazaki connector is good, it's the plain terminal for the grounding tab that is gone. I'm going to crimp some new braid to the outer coaxial braid and run that to a Yazaki 6.3 female terminal which I have :)

Thanks Matt, I saw that thread where you helped someone who had cooked their oil pressur gauge - good learning there. Thankfully my locking Yazaki connector is good, it's the plain terminal for the grounding tab that is gone. I'm going to crimp some new braid to the outer coaxial braid and run that to a Yazaki 6.3 female terminal which I have :)

i WILL be happy to mail you the basic supply parts not assembled
at no cost

PM me

i WILL be happy to mail you the basic supply parts not assembled
at no cost

PM me
Hi Matt - that's really very kind of you indeed, I am very grateful for your offer! But I hsve everything here - terminals and crimping tools, even an old BJ60 loom to plunder for spare wire. Greatly appreciate your offer though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom