1981-1990 differentials? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wanted to confirm and ask if true, almost sounds too good. Are all 1981-1990 40, 45, 47 ,60 and 75 series diffs interchangeable?

Front diffs fit the back and vice versa? I can not see how as the front diff has a knuckle.

Front diffs do not get worn as much as not much extra load is placed upon them and not really engaged for most of their lives?

Anyone done this?

Thank you, Wow revelation!
And if a rear axle was to go to the front, the knuckles are welded on well and measured and true? Vice versa the front diff knuckles are cut and rear diff ends are welded on well and measured and true?

makes me think there must be lots of crook diffs out on the roads.

want to be good welding. easiest is find existing rear to fit rear for sure.

Your asking about diffs,,, which are interchangeable, axle housings are not.

Among other things the front axle is much narrower and you won't just swap knuckles out.

whoops I am sorry, have to learn some more to ask the right questions. my bad.

I just discovered my rear axle housing is a bit bent and want to find the best way to fix/replace. Looking at axle housings led me to diffs which is not an issue yet. But all good information, knowing the diffs are interchangeable is really good. Thank you. Apologies.

Am I correct that a 60 series rear axle housing is a different size to a 75 series? Different chassis, width and length?

Yes, semi float vs full float is the big difference.

A good repair shop, might need to visit a heavy truck repair shop. But they can straighten a bent housing.

Also, ask around the forum here, might not be to difficult to find a housing

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom