1979 FJ40........saving it from the grave (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is Brian Marsh's 1979 FJ40!!!!!!

After seeing my FJish creation....Brian wanted me to bring his back also,so here it is.......

Im pretty sure it has an older front end on it,it has the 2 piece hood,wipers over and inside,and what looks like 1970ish emblems

Its definetily is in better shape than mine was......the body is still attached to the frame.....its got disc brakes and a clear title!!!

The motor runs........from a gas can and the underbody tank was gutted and pitched long ago..

he needs wheels and tires,a fuel system,and major body work

The first order of business is to sell the rear heater and jump seats to help finance a fuel cell,31" Swampers,and body supplies

My job is to reassemble the truck with an intact if still imperfect body.........find some wheels(think i already have thanx to Rob,Tom and Nick).....and possibly install the fuel cell and restore the brakes......after that he will take it back to get it running and (youll love this part TOM) back on the road......then ill twist his arm to get him to go to Finleyville at least
marsh 2.jpg
marsh 1.jpg

Found 3 of 6 body mounts are bad.......

Gonna have to get creative.....

heres where we will start.......no need for that gas door anymore
marsh 3.jpg

Last edited:
Its not only a Toyota....its a Whirlpool!!!

Ok its redneck/ghetto fabulous but its free,quality metal that is pre-coated.......and you can read the washer warnings while you drive!
marsh 4.jpg
marsh 5.jpg

passenger side center body mount........or the lack thereof
marsh 6.jpg

youve gotta be bored. that thing is a piece. good luck.

Its worse than I thought but still better than my body was.......we specialize in saving the unsavable

ya he had considered getting a new tub and might still eventually but the plan for now is to make a drivable beater out of it...then evaluate whether its future is a new tub or get another 40 and use this as parts.....

here is the repair for the body mount.....ugly but strong

and the new floor pan......
marsh 8.jpg
marsh 7.jpg

I have set a bold deadline for the Marsh-J.....Oct 1st

I have to get it done first to get the 4runner in for paint/body

Wish me luck im gonna need it
marshdeadline.jpg

Rat Rod Black

Here is the 79/71 FJ40 getting shot with Satin/semi gloss black tractor paint...inside and out......also got it to run on ethyr so once i plumb in the fuel cell and put everything back together,Pittsburgh should have another FJ40 runnin around!!!
marshinpaint.jpg

its back!!!!!

Well here it is......Brians more than capable of workin out the bugs so after i patched it up,painted it,and put it back together i set him up with an RCI fuel cell,replumbed the brakes and sent her back

so if you spot a "new" 40 on the road its not new its just a resurrected beater
marshj1.jpg
marshj2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom