1960 FJ40 on the FJ Cruiser site, Toy screwed up, again!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

C'mon you guys - lighten up. No major car company would (or should) reproduce anything like the FJ40 again. Modern expectations for safety, fuel economy, comfort, etc. mean a different vehicle altogether. At least Toy USA is recognizing the FJ25/40 mystique and reputation in an homage to sell a new vehicle. One which sounds to be moderately capable and overdesigned for the use 98% of it's buyers will need.

Cruisergreg said:
C'mon you guys - lighten up. No major car company would (or should) reproduce anything like the FJ40 again. Modern expectations for safety, fuel economy, comfort, etc. mean a different vehicle altogether. At least Toy USA is recognizing the FJ25/40 mystique and reputation in an homage to sell a new vehicle. One which sounds to be moderately capable and overdesigned for the use 98% of it's buyers will need.

Jeep is doing it with the Wrangler, so why can't Toyota do it?

Landpimp said:
and of course........there was not a 1960 fj40.......but a 60 FJ25
I must disagree, as I believe that both the FJ25 and FJ40 were produced in 1960. I think a friend has one under a tarp behind his house right now.

StanCruiserMan said:
I must disagree, as I believe that both the FJ25 and FJ40 were produced in 1960. I think a friend has one under a tarp behind his house right now.

Check the VIN.......
Haven't yet heard of a 0FJ40XXXXX (1960 FJ40) or a 1FJ25XXXXX (1961 FJ25)but nothing surprises me. Any year stamped on the plate or attached on a tag is the year it was titled, and not relevant. I'd be real curious to know what it is, the earliest FJ40's had the big FJ25 gas cap. :D

Anybody know the VIN for the first FJ40???

I will try to remember to check the VIN next time I am over there. It's probably been 10 years since I looked at it but do remember it being a 1960.

Cruiser_Nerd said:
Check the VIN.......
Haven't yet heard of a 0FJ40XXXXX (1960 FJ40) or a 1FJ25XXXXX (1961 FJ25)but nothing surprises me. Any year stamped on the plate or attached on a tag is the year it was titled, and not relevant. I'd be real curious to know what it is, the earliest FJ40's had the big FJ25 gas cap. :D

Anybody know the VIN for the first FJ40???

Some may be confused between "Model Year" noted on ID plate and production year indicated in VIN...I have seen two 1961 Model Year FJ-25s, but both were produced in 1960 as in 0-FJ25-xxxxx

Our 1961 model year FJ40 was produced in 1961, 1-FJ40-10439, big gas cap and apron air intake, I dont figure they made 10,000 40s using 25 parts, so I'm guessing the first 40 was either 0- or 1-FJ40-10001

Landpimp said:
color? I think that was a 81+ color. also the fuel door

Squared Headlight bezel too-ahowing at least into the 80s

It doesn't say it's a 1960 FJ40 on the Toyota site. It just says 1960-1983 is the range. Did they change it? (I didn't see it before today)

yes. round and sqaure, sqaure can still be bought from the dealer, I have one on my 82 fj40. Also chrome bumpers and bumperettes were optional. But rear fender flares were not optional.

Yooper, yes I think they did change it. Pic was "borrowed" from the CCOT site.

HawkDriver said:
Did the 40 ever come with a chrome bezel like on that site?

I like the FJC but really wish they'd do something with that rear side windowless area. Just looks wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom