16" rims for 92 cruiser without lift - will they work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Michael, yes they will. the major factor will be tire size - I had 1992 Fj80 and put the OEM 16" Fjz80 wheels on it with no issues.

Also to take into consideration is the lug nut holes. The factory wheels have larger holes that the shank sytle lug nut fits down inside the hole to grab more threads on the wheel stud which is about 13 turns of threads on the stud. This is unique to Toyota factory truck wheels. On all aftermarket wheels the wheel bolt holes are not made the same way - they are smaller and require a conical seat style lug nut. In this configuration this lug nut will only spin on about 6 threads. Over time this can and many times will weaken the stud due to leverage on the end of the stud and can start snapping them off. (This happened to me as well as several others) This is exacerbated with larger tire sizes due to weight. The industry has responded with ET (extended thread) lug nuts that are thin wall hybrid lug nuts that reach down inside that small hole and will grab about 10-12 threads for better purchase.

bottom line: if you want to change wheels, try to stay with Toyota OEM wheels. If aftermarket, use ET lug nuts.

I know , kinda wordy but I hope that helps ~

Murf

Michael, yes they will. the major factor will be tire size - I had 1992 Fj80 and put the OEM 16" Fjz80 wheels on it with no issues.

Also to take into consideration is the lug nut holes. The factory wheels have larger holes that the shank sytle lug nut fits down inside the hole to grab more threads on the wheel stud which is about 13 turns of threads on the stud. This is unique to Toyota factory truck wheels. On all aftermarket wheels the wheel bolt holes are not made the same way - they are smaller and require a conical seat style lug nut. In this configuration this lug nut will only spin on about 6 threads. Over time this can and many times will weaken the stud due to leverage on the end of the stud and can start snapping them off. (This happened to me as well as several others) This is exacerbated with larger tire sizes due to weight. The industry has responded with ET (extended thread) lug nuts that are thin wall hybrid lug nuts that reach down inside that small hole and will grab about 10-12 threads for better purchase.

bottom line: if you want to change wheels, try to stay with Toyota OEM wheels. If aftermarket, use ET lug nuts.

I know , kinda wordy but I hope that helps ~

Murf
Perfect - thanks I will stay with the factory stuff. Most appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom