12HT 24v Alternator downgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'Day,
My old profile is not accessible, passwords long lost not been back for 8 years.
Now in need of some help.
24v alternator sh&t it self oil passing through from vacuum pump.
I read threads here where an Isuzu option has been used but decided to get a Jaylec 24v Alt that required an external reg.
Who'd thought I should have looked at the cost of a new 24V reg and a sparky to wire it up.
the sparky wants $600 for reg & install.
I have found a reg here in Aus.
can anyone offer advice on how to wire up a harness to adapt the Alt/Reg into my existing loom.
Thanks in advance..

metro
PS :not the sharpest tool in the shed, so maybe a diagram and not 100 words
sparky said it's a backward step but understands ALT with internal reg is impossible to find

After getting ripped off by my local sparky and the car returned not fixed and out of pocket $895.
The alternator charges full rate , reg not doing it's job or alternator faulty, I turned to another 2 sparky's.
No one wants to get involved.
Rather than take a risk on an Isuzu 24v and no feed back from my other post here asking for help with that I started hunting elsewhere and I found this....
bl##dy expensive when you add fast courier but less than I have spent already.
In the 51 years I have owned vehicles I have only found one honest mechanic. The rest are all related to Ned Kelly, Theiven bl##dy mongrels..
Thanks to all those that read my first post, shame no one could help, maybe cruiser world can help others with 24v vehicles in the future.

Thanks dmjay, we tried two new regulators and neither worked. the auto electrician was unable to get the pinouts to match what he believed the alternator required.
he had the car a week and could not stop the Alternator for charging at 100%.
Pin-outs supplied by the ebay seller matched my workshop manual, so that is why it is believed the alternator is faulty.
fingers crossed the new Alternator with internal reg will fix the issue.
Thanks for the input

metro

This is why I have a spare for the 61. I had my first rebuilt by an Isuzu shop. Shouldn't be that big of a deal. Only time i've had trouble was with a 12v alt that was in my troopy.

Not sure what truck you have but i believe this is the one.
newera AVR-512.
It needs to be the six wire one.
Dmjay thank you for sharing this information! :). I’m going to order one to keep on the shelf.
G'Day,
My old profile is not accessible, passwords long lost not been back for 8 years.
Now in need of some help.
24v alternator sh&t it self oil passing through from vacuum pump.
I read threads here where an Isuzu option has been used but decided to get a Jaylec 24v Alt that required an external reg.
Who'd thought I should have looked at the cost of a new 24V reg and a sparky to wire it up.
the sparky wants $600 for reg & install.
I have found a reg here in Aus.
can anyone offer advice on how to wire up a harness to adapt the Alt/Reg into my existing loom.
Thanks in advance..

metro
PS :not the sharpest tool in the shed, so maybe a diagram and not 100 words
sparky said it's a backward step but understands ALT with internal reg is impossible to find
Metro thanks for sharing that link! That’s a fair price for an entire 24v dynamo.

@ kevin in Okinawa I paid $714.22 AU for the 24v dynamo and the same company is currently advertising the 12v version for $224.41 AU

@HueyDriver , hard to read so faded possibly 10021x-2580.
the x could be 0 zero and the 5 could be a 9
the numbers underneath look like J240001270

@HueyDriver also found these numbers LR220-401B then 894139 0201 24v 20amp. sparky still has my old one, I have pics
he's going to quote re-building. The shaft has grooves in it so I can't see the seal keeping the oil out, even after polishing the shaft.

Rather have a new one. It would be great to see how others have butchered the mounting bracket to get an Isuzu Alt to fit.
The other concern for me was which model to buy as the one I looked at the vacuum pump would have hit the crossover pipe.
all the ones I found with 175mm leg to leg require an external reg.

@dmjay that reg has the same pin-outs as the two we tried, the only thing I don't know is whether what we purchased had a diode
the 2 regs purchased were both Jaylec brand and so was the Alternator, so it should have worked.
What P##s#d me off was the sparky claims he spent 10 hours on it but discounted the $1300 to $895. Surely you'd conclude one or both are faulty within 30 mins

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom