1111111111 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Converting a vertically functioning mechanical cable-driven linkage to a horizontally functioning one requires a reasonably simple bracket that incorporates a free-wheeling axle that allows the cable make a 90 degree turn. without resistance or binding. To use the existing cable with a cylindrical barrel-shaped stud that horizontally pushes into a corresponding key way with a notch to insert the cable requites a simple adapter that attaches to the linkage of the throttle body.

Make your bracket
Take a piece of 1-1/2" x 3/16 or 1/4" bar stock and cut it 4-1/2" long. Punch a drill mark 1" from the end in the center of the piece and drill a 1/2" hole (this where cable will attach to throttle body). Measure down 3" from the top and 3/8" in from the right side of the bracket and punch and drill a 5/16" hole (this is the hole for the 6mm bolt to attached bracket to throttle body). Measure down 4" from the top of the bracket and in 1/2" from left side of the bracket and punch and drill a 1/4" hole (this is the hole for the axle assembly). Draw or scribe a horizontal line 1-1/2" down from the end where you've drilled the 1/2" hole. Place the piece in a vice and bend it in a right angle so that your hole is pointing straight down.
make your axle
Obtain a 1/4"x 1-1/2" fine thread plated hex bolt w/ 1/2" bare shank, 3ea. 1/4" fine thread nylon inserted aircraft nuts, 1ea 1/4" bronze sleeve (found in odd fasteners cabinets at big box and hardware store) and 3ea 1/4 plated flat washers. Take 1/4" Bronze sleeve and trim to 1/2" to cover the shank, insert a washer flat on bolt against head and insert sleeve, another flat washer and install aircraft nut to the closet point where sleeve and washers will spin freely on bolt shank and install a second aircraft nut w/ washer to go through bracket with enough threads to install axle assembly through 5/16" hole and a final aircraft nut and washer to lock it on the backside of bracket.
Make your cable adapter
Take a 1-1/2" dia fender washer and drill a 7/16" hole through the center. Cut or grind of approximately 1/4 to a 1/2 inch from one side of it. Take 2ea 5/16" hex nuts and tightly clamp them so they are straddling the edge of the flat side of the fender washer and braze of tack weld them in place. After securing nuts, very carefully chase the nuts with a 5/16" drill bit to remove threads or protruding washer surface so as to ensure a straight path for the stud on the throttle cable to pass through. You will also need to cut an access slot through the designated inside nut to allow the cable to insert into the retaining channel made by the parallel nuts. The channel should be at the bottom so cable do it won't disengage from adapter. before installing cable adapter on TB try installing the cable stud through the nut channel and make sure your cable slot is wide enough to accept the cable and fits easily into place without binding or slipping. Simply widen slots with small file or carefully using a rotary cut off tool. Take a 7/16" flat washer, possibly 2ea depending on thickness and place on throttle body linkage stud before attaching cable adapter and lock in place with a 7/16" snap ring.
Attach the bracket to Throttle body
Using the 5/16" hole in the bracket, insert a short 6mm x 1.0 bolt and bolt into pre-drilled and threaded hole on throttle body. After firmly attaching the bolt you may want to drill and thread a second hole to ensure the bracket wont slip over time.
Run your throttle cable adjustment (top nut) to the top of the adjustment threads and pull the cable through hole in top of bracket running cable under free wheeling axle, pull TB linkage toward adapter and slip cable stud into the linkage adapter nut channel via slot in inside nut channel. Adjust your cable travel with the top nut and lock in place with lower nut. I must admit that my adjust requires the least adjustment and most cable available. I can't be sure all these are the same from truck to truck but mine works great. MAKE SURE YOUR LINKAGE FULLY OPENS AND RESTS ON THE IDLE STOP WHEN ACCELERATOR IS DISENGAGED.
Some pictures are just mock up demos to convey general principle. I wish they were better. These dimensions worked for me but may differ for you so measuring as you go would be smart.

Get with me if you have questions because this wasn't easy to write and my pictures leave a lot to be desired, but it works. I love EFI. Check out my adapter post for using OEM air cleaner w/ TBI/EFIon 1F engine.

cable adapter assem 2.jpg

cable adapter assem.jpg

cable axel parts 2.jpg

cable axle.jpg

LINKAGE ADAPTER.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom