100s: where are the springs up front? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the only real problem I have seen with torsion bars is when the rear mount rusts away and the bar twists free of the crossmember. Lots of 70s chyrslers died that way.
Mums 1950 Morris Minor has the Original Torsion Bars and Dampers. :cheers:
The Dampers are only servicable by the Factory in Oxford. :flipoff2: - Does'nt exist anymore. :whoops:

When Alec Issigonis started designing the Minor in 1942, It was to have Torsion Bars on the front and rear. But ended up having Leaf Springs on the rear, There are even some of the Torsion Bar stuff still there when it went into production in 1948. :D

Also, Alec Issigonis designed the Mini. :)

The 90 and 120 series prado run the same double wishbone coil over front end as the tecoma.

[quote author=cruiserman link=board=2;threadid=5998;start=msg48356#msg48356 date=1065553702]
Surprisingly enough, I think the USA is a testing ground for making things lighter and softer :).
[/quote]

And bigger gasoline engines, too, like the 4.7L V8 in the 4Runner. Overseas versions get the 3.4L V6 (from the '96-02 4runner) or 3.0L 1KD-FTV TD.

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=5998;start=msg48521#msg48521 date=1065580104]
Oh, gotcha. You're talking sag/droop like compression/extension.

Yeah, I'm not too sure that the coil would have any advantage in this way. Interestingly, when you compress a coil, you are twisting the spring rod in the exact same way as if it were straight. Let it sag and you'll still be limited by the amount of "untwisting" just like a straight torsion type spring.

Somehow, a coil "looks" more supple and competent to my eye, but AFAIK the action is exactly the same - just a packaging issue to decide between the formats (coil vs straight).

IdahoDoug
[/quote]

Right, if the spring was captured, but it's not. The coils on an 80 are loose. If you disconnect the shocks, the axle will fall as low as the steering linkage and panhard will go. Of course, there are brake lines and axle breathers and other stuff, but you get my point.
There are some rigs out there that capture one end of the spring. It's kind of wild to see them flex right off the springs.

Does the shortbus have the springs cptured on both ends or just one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom