100 series washboard style vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
100 series 2003, front end vibration through front end at 1500 rpm and 35mph
Feels like running over rumble strips with slight bounce. No engine codes. Tranny fluid clean, only happens when engine warm. Also ruled out wheel bearings, and driveshaft. Toyota said bad ECU and recommend trans replacement also. Trans totally smooth except for the issue at 1500rpm. Replaced ECU but problem remains.
Help, this is my second LC and only 82k miles, surley not a new trans!
Tx

Test

Test checking to determine if responses are incoming

Does the vibration occur in neutral/coasting at 35?
Have you checked your tires carefully? I had a tire with a ply separation that caused a 'washboard' effect.

Transmission/ECU? Sounds like the dealer is clueless and wants you to throw money at at. Vibrations can be caused by a worn component in the suspension/steering linkage. Inspect ball joints/ tie rods / steering rack and steering rack mount. Tie rods and steering rack 'D' bushing added up to 1/2" play in my truck.

You can take out the front driveshaft (and lock up the center diff) to see if the front driveline has any affect on the problem.

Have a tyre with a ply separation and yes, it does the same but no matters what the speed is (the rythm just follow the wheel rotation speed.

Had a coil pack getting bad suddenly and it gave the same kind of vibration.
Weirdly, the check engine light did not come up quickly but 10 minutes later
May be you don't see the code because it's not happening all the time

e

i wood check the flanges also i had a guy come back i had to work on sun just to find out the flange on the transfer case was bent. a driveshaft spins about 3 to 1 times so if the vibration seams like it's the same as your tire it probly is not from the driveshaft if you dont have fuilltime 4x4 then u can pull front out be carful if 4 hi 4 lo only dont pull ! only if 4hi 4 lo 2 hi

I've got the same problem. Started shortly after I bought it 10 months ago. Starts at about 60 km/h and continues until I either shift to 4th gear or let my foot off the accelerator. It does not occur if I have the tranny in 4th.

Thought it was going to be a transmission problem and when I finally found a place I trusted I took it there. The guy couldn't find anything wrong, no error codes in the transmission. He changed fluid and said it looked fine. He figured it was a traction control issue. He did reset the steering wheel position sensor which made the problem occur less often and less severely. Because of this I tend to think he is right that it is related to the traction control issue. But that's my opinion.

So I took it to a friend of mine who is a mechanic. I also had an error code that indicated a front left wheel spin sensor was bad. He checked the sensor and it was operating normally.

He says he is a little stumped. He has checked driveline components and other than normal wear everything is fine.

I had new tires put on about 4 months ago - no change.

My mechanical still has the truck, I'll let you know if their is any resolution. My next step if my mechanic can't fix it will be to bring it to the dealer, but I don't have any hope that they'll be able to do any better than guess at the problem.

Try removing your rear drive shaft, lock the center diff and take it for a spin. Serif you still get the vibration. Report back your findings.

Yes this sounds exactly the same.i can also stop the vibration by accelerating or taking my foot off the gas. The problem is consistent to the point that after highway driving for two hours with no problem, the vibration occurs in the same 50 yard stretch on a slight incline (and it's not the road surface). Based on the excellent feedback in the string of responses I am inclined to shy away from a transmission issue and will start with the drive shaft, then steering etc. will post as soon as I get and update. Let me know if you have an update.
Thanks much

Well, got it back from the mechanic, he says he could't find anything. He suggests a tranny shop do a complete tranny fluid flush and to use Toyota/Lexus fluid. I had had the fluid changed before when it was at the tranny place but not flushed. We'll see.

The trouble light problem I had was in fact the Left front wheel spin sensor. The mechanic had checked the resistance across the sensor and it was ok. Apparently they are little magnets and there was some rust on them and he cleaned that off and the trouble lights went out. They came back on this morning :bang::bang::bang:

Well, got it back from the mechanic, he says he could't find anything. He suggests a tranny shop do a complete tranny fluid flush and to use Toyota/Lexus fluid. I had had the fluid changed before when it was at the tranny place but not flushed. We'll see.

The trouble light problem I had was in fact the Left front wheel spin sensor. The mechanic had checked the resistance across the sensor and it was ok. Apparently they are little magnets and there was some rust on them and he cleaned that off and the trouble lights went out. They came back on this morning :bang:

Well, finally got it into the transmission mechanic for a fluid change. He didn't recomend a flush as that has the potential to wash embedded sediment into the transmission. Well after some internet research it looks like a possibility so I just had him do a fluid and filter change.

He noted that the fluid looked fine, no problems. which makes sense as it was only a few weeks old. Filter was fine too. Filled it with Toyota fluid as recomended. Problem does not occur as often as before but still happens. He seems to thinkthat it is a problem with the converter clutch, which would pretty much mean a total rebuild. Not ready to do that at this time. Going to drive it as is for a while. Driving down to Flagstaff in May and he didn't think that would be a problem.

hey driveshafter here from what you've bean talking about it sounds like maby the stub and slip yoke are bad theres no way to balance a driveshaft with these conditions every time you hit the gas the yoke arches and never in the same place when you decelerate the yolk will chatter when youre driving highway speed the yolk and slip yoke will harmonise together check the play in the yolk

Any more updates? I have a similar problem in my 2000 but it's on deceleration. Seems to happen around 25-35 mph. Had Slee check out front end and nothing out of the ordinary was found. Doesn't happen all time and seems to happen more after truck has been driven a little while.

Either UJ or spindle bearing. Could be CV but that's easier to spot.

if youre rig has more than 100,000 miles on it then youre ujoints could be going bad especaly if your out in rough county where thers a lot of mud or youre trail blazing a ujoint usaly sounds like a machine gun meaning the vibs you get are rappid the slip yoke and stub will do the same thing but with the sleave they put over the yoke the tend to last quite awhile some times you cant tell if the ujoints are bad in the truck because the trunions are rusted up and tight i would pull the dlines out and check in a vice for runout or movement if the joint is rough replace most likly youre joints are bad from the way youre discribing the sound

That sounds about right. I notice what feels like a slip yoke sticking every once in a while when I come to a stop and then take off again. Almost feels like brake pads sticking when it releases. I assume that can be contributing to my intermittent issue with the front end shaking. First time I noticed it was after a long run on washboard roads in Moab.

i dont understand sticking like a grinding sqeeking noise if so thats the sound of dryer than a popcorn fart ujoints youre way over in flordia shipping would be high probly 50.00 so 250.00 pluss shiping is about the average price localy except i use spicer u-joints and make the shaft high angle

No grinding or noise of any for that matter. I keep the truck at a friends house in Golden Colorado. I'll be out there in 2 weeks to do the Alpine Loop. Give me a ring so we can discuss further. 561-28nine-two4nine8.

Having a similar issue with “washboard” vibration at diffe speeds. Have done a ton of part replacements in thr steering system, wheel bearings, rear u joint and no codes come up, but the vibration persists. Someone mentioned it could be the braking system going bad. Any thoughts on that theory?
Headed to the dealer this week to see what they come up with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom