08 SR5 5.7...coolant in the oil... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all.
We just returned from a 1600 mile trip and found coolant (chocolate milk) on the dipstick of our 165k mile 08 sequoia sr5 5.7. I was giving it to my daughter this month, so this blows. Anyhow, it's at a friend's shop to get pressure tested and CO2 tested. To my knowledge, it's never overheated and I'm fanatical about maintenance. We've had it since the 60k mark.
My question is : has anyone experienced head gasket failure (or anything else that would cause this) on the 3UR engine? Also, if it is a gasket, my buddy's shop isn't really equipped to do that kind of work. Does anyone know of a solid Yota shop in the north Houston area (I'm Northeast of town)?
Lastly, if I do have to rebuild this sucker, are there any vendors that sell decent, reliable NA engine upgrades that I should tackle at the same time? I looked at headers (the kooks are nice, but Holy $#! + are they proud of them... $2400?...negative).
Sorry for all of the questions and TIA.

Best,
BJ

I’d think a 1600mi trip would cook out any condensate in the crankcase (super common this time of year) - esp with that stupid plastic neck/fill cap that holds a ton of “chocolate milk” if you oil change this time of year.

-Did you dump all the oil, do a full oil/filter change, and wipe all that emulsion out of the fill cap/plastic extension tube to the valve cover?

I’d wipe that crap out, go for a good hour drive, dump the oil & filter & start with fresh oil & see what it does.

-Did you see a noticeable coolant loss?

-How about the sweet exhaust smell & lots of steam on startup?

-I’d investigate before blindly handing big $$$ to any mechanic/friend - you don’t trust completely.
-No, 3UR’s aren’t known to pop HG’s.

Hi all.
We just returned from a 1600 mile trip and found coolant (chocolate milk) on the dipstick of our 165k mile 08 sequoia sr5 5.7. I was giving it to my daughter this month, so this blows. Anyhow, it's at a friend's shop to get pressure tested and CO2 tested. To my knowledge, it's never overheated and I'm fanatical about maintenance. We've had it since the 60k mark.
My question is : has anyone experienced head gasket failure (or anything else that would cause this) on the 3UR engine? Also, if it is a gasket, my buddy's shop isn't really equipped to do that kind of work. Does anyone know of a solid Yota shop in the north Houston area (I'm Northeast of town)?
Lastly, if I do have to rebuild this sucker, are there any vendors that sell decent, reliable NA engine upgrades that I should tackle at the same time? I looked at headers (the kooks are nice, but Holy $#! + are they proud of them... $2400?...negative).
Sorry for all of the questions and TIA.

Best,
BJ
Were you ever able to get a diagnosis and fix? Just curious as my 2011 is around the same mileage.

Hi all. We dropped and replaced the oil 1st and found no water in the oil. What I had seen was only on the dipstick and the filler cap. I ran out for a bit, checked out and again found chocolate milk on the filler cap and neck. I then followed a YouTube video entailing the replacement of the PCV valve. It takes about 10 minutes with a wobble extension, but I think the service manual calls for removal of the intake manifold (totally not necessary). Poof- problem solved. You can see on the old valve that it was stuck. New valve solved the problem. 😁

20210111_180203.jpg

Hi all. We dropped and replaced the oil 1st and found no water in the oil. What I had seen was only on the dipstick and the filler cap. I ran out for a bit, checked out and again found chocolate milk on the filler cap and neck. I then followed a YouTube video entailing the replacement of the PCV valve. It takes about 10 minutes with a wobble extension, but I think the service manual calls for removal of the intake manifold (totally not necessary). Poof- problem solved. You can see on the old valve that it was stuck. New valve solved the problem. 😁

View attachment 2582534

Thanks for the follow-up & fix.

As long as a guy doesn’t put a S/C on a 3UR, they are known as problem - free.

That 1,000,000 mile gold color Tundra was a early G2 / 3UR and when given up (owner got a new Tundra for his free / pro-rated from Toyota) - they took it apart & examined everything - the motor was still in specs and ran fine. Heads/valves were in spec, but they never mentioned if it used any oil / stem seals - type loss.

Paint was the worst of it IIRC.
No rust or rot on the frame, even up in the blind sheetmetal corners of the box/bed fenders.
It either had a clapped out bra on it, or severe loss of paint off the leading edges of the gold fenders & hood going ~8” back, IDK which as I’ve never seen a Tundra wearing a car bra.
I think those died just before grunge music like in the 90’s :hillbilly:

But a natural aspiration 3UR is supposed to be pretty damn reliable, headgaskets & all.

Thanks for the follow-up & fix.

As long as a guy doesn’t put a S/C on a 3UR, they are known as problem - free.

That 1,000,000 mile gold color Tundra was a early G2 / 3UR and when given up (owner got a new Tundra for his free / pro-rated from Toyota) - they took it apart & examined everything - the motor was still in specs and ran fine. Heads/valves were in spec, but they never mentioned if it used any oil / stem seals - type loss.

Paint was the worst of it IIRC.
No rust or rot on the frame, even up in the blind sheetmetal corners of the box/bed fenders.
It either had a clapped out bra on it, or severe loss of paint off the leading edges of the gold fenders & hood going ~8” back, IDK which as I’ve never seen a Tundra wearing a car bra.
I think those died just before grunge music like in the 90’s :hillbilly:

But a natural aspiration 3UR is supposed to be pretty damn reliable, headgaskets & all.
Pretty sure that tundra had the 2UZ-FE:

But OP, thanks for the follow up. Did the PCV valve on my 2011 around 120k. I need to reseal the valley because mine is leaking so I'll probably do the PCV again when I open it up.

Pretty sure that tundra had the 2UZ-FE:

But OP, thanks for the follow up. Did the PCV valve on my 2011 around 120k. I need to reseal the valley because mine is leaking so I'll probably do the PCV again when I open it up.

Doh! - UR right. No 3UR ;)

I saw a pic of the head & it’s that similar shape / quad cams that got me thinking 3UR & not 2UZ.

Thanks, I hate when I pass bad info/go from memory. I should know better, ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom