2007 2WD 1GR-FE VVT-i, I have been having codes indicating cam to cam and crank not synced for several years. I replaced the passenger side VVT actuator about 5-years ago and no codes or check engine lights until recently. (The dealer told me the car was scrap!) I replaced the driver's side VVT actuator and it made the check engine light pop up immediately. Oh yeah, 250,000 miles. The car is in excellent shape, runs great, no rust, and looks good.
I pulled the inspection plate on the cam tensioner. I have about 12 mm of cylinder showing and 11 notches exposed. I wish I could get a picture of it.
I assume it is time to replace the timing chain. I will pay someone. What is a reasonable California price? I do not intend to scrap the car. IF I pay ~$5000 for the job and get another few years I am way ahead on the financial aspect of it.
Modern cars a planned obsolesce junk, IMHO. I do not want the modern tech and tracking features. So, buying a new car is not for me.
I pulled the inspection plate on the cam tensioner. I have about 12 mm of cylinder showing and 11 notches exposed. I wish I could get a picture of it.
I assume it is time to replace the timing chain. I will pay someone. What is a reasonable California price? I do not intend to scrap the car. IF I pay ~$5000 for the job and get another few years I am way ahead on the financial aspect of it.
Modern cars a planned obsolesce junk, IMHO. I do not want the modern tech and tracking features. So, buying a new car is not for me.