05 sequoia vibration problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a 05 sequoia 2wd. 187k on the clock. first timing belt was changed and getting second round under my ownership next week. During the initial test drive it didn't miss a beat. However i have now noticed a very aggrevating vibration in the front end. Google has come up with several possible issues ranging from the diff to wheel bearings. Definitely has a roar to it. Vibration is felt in the floorboard. Seems to do it more in lower speeds but haven't taken it on a trip yet. Anyone have any experience with this?

I bought a 06 4wd and had a bad vibration that kicked in around 70mph. I had 2 alignments done and 2 tire balances done to try to correct it after installing a 1.5" lift in the front and 255 75 17 tires. A few people recommended getting a road force balance done, so I had one performed. Vibration gone, problem solved.

What is a road force balance?

What is a road force balance?
Basically simulates the pressures exerted on the tires during driving, instead of the typical spin balancers that most tire installers use. Thats how I understand it anyhow. With it being a new to you vehicle, it could be a balance issue as well that maybe a normal balance could still resolve.

Otherwise it is a matter of going over your suspension components for wear. I get a slight vibe on mine but havent dug into it. I hoped the new tires would help.

So a local club member had a year old set of tires for cheap. Had them mounted and it seems to have taken the vibration away. Pretty sure the roar is still there though harder to hear over the all terrains!

Try to get it on a lift and isolate the sound. I'm betting it's a wheel bearing. See if it does it when you enter a curve going left and right. Sometimes wheel bearing sound will go away if you have the wheel turned one way or the other.

Just FYI on my tundra the service history shows this:

"

FRONT SUSPENSION
FRONT SUSPENSION ~|~CUSTOMER STATES HUMMING/PULSATING NOISE AT 10-50 MPH. JUST HAD REAR WHEEL BEARINGS REPLACED. BOTH SIDE. ~|~NOISY LEFT FRONT WHEEL BEARING VERIFIED ~|~REPLACED LEFT FRONT WHEEL BEARING ASSEMBLY - ON FOLLOW UP ROAD TEST ANOTHER ABNORMAL NOISE WAS DETECTED - REINSPECTED ALL WHEEL BEARINGS WITHOUT DISASSEMBLY AND NO ISSUES NOTED - FOUND ONE OF THE RIGHT HAND WHEEL BEARING STUDS IS NON-OEM - CHECK VEHICLE D

PARTS
NAME
PART # QTY
BEARING ASSY, FR AXL 435700C010 1
RING, O 90301A0020 1
SEAL, TYPE V OIL 90312A0002 1
BOLT, W/WASHER 90119A0277 4
CUSTOMER PAY
"

However I would not assume or guess. It should be pretty easy to figure out where the sound is coming from if you have it up in the air. Can the people doing the timing belt swap ID it?

Try to get it on a lift and isolate the sound. I'm betting it's a wheel bearing. See if it does it when you enter a curve going left and right. Sometimes wheel bearing sound will go away if you have the wheel turned one way or the other.

Just FYI on my tundra the service history shows this:

"

FRONT SUSPENSION
FRONT SUSPENSION ~|~CUSTOMER STATES HUMMING/PULSATING NOISE AT 10-50 MPH. JUST HAD REAR WHEEL BEARINGS REPLACED. BOTH SIDE. ~|~NOISY LEFT FRONT WHEEL BEARING VERIFIED ~|~REPLACED LEFT FRONT WHEEL BEARING ASSEMBLY - ON FOLLOW UP ROAD TEST ANOTHER ABNORMAL NOISE WAS DETECTED - REINSPECTED ALL WHEEL BEARINGS WITHOUT DISASSEMBLY AND NO ISSUES NOTED - FOUND ONE OF THE RIGHT HAND WHEEL BEARING STUDS IS NON-OEM - CHECK VEHICLE D

PARTS
NAME
PART # QTY
BEARING ASSY, FR AXL 435700C010 1
RING, O 90301A0020 1
SEAL, TYPE V OIL 90312A0002 1
BOLT, W/WASHER 90119A0277 4
CUSTOMER PAY
"

However I would not assume or guess. It should be pretty easy to figure out where the sound is coming from if you have it up in the air. Can the people doing the timing belt swap ID it?

Yeah in sure they can. Going in the shop Monday morning.

Ok picked up the rig from my mechanic today. The universal joints were shot. Took care of the vibration issue. Also did the timing belt and transmission flush. Still needs a hub bearing and the high pressure power steering hose is leaking. $1500 down another 1k to go....

Ok picked up the rig from my mechanic today. The universal joints were shot. Took care of the vibration issue. Also did the timing belt and transmission flush. Still needs a hub bearing and the high pressure power steering hose is leaking. $1500 down another 1k to go....

$1k for a hub and steering line?!?! Yikes!

Yeah I'm not certain on that quote either. Does seem high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom