03-04 GX470 Exhaust Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace the loud aftermarket cat back that was installed by the previous owner. I've been dealing with exhaust drama trying to source the oem parts used. Finding parts, ordering parts, returning parts. It's been a pain. I'm finally looking at ordering new, and the best I can find is ~$650 shipped. At that price, it got me thinking that I should just ask for recommendations.

My goal is to be as quiet as possible. Do any of you have recommendations for aftermarket cat back systems, preferably in stainless? The only one I see is made by Gibson, but I fear that it is loud. Perhaps there are others.

It would be for the 2003-4 non-vvti models.

Thanks.

The stock muffler is huge. I have not seen an aftermarket one as big as this thing is. Can you identify what is on it now?

I don't know what it is now. It's at the shop at the moment. I can call them tomorrow and ask they see any markings on it.

The eBay listing says this is the same part for 03-09, which I know to be wrong from experience. The aFe site lists it as 05 and up.

This took me to YouTube to watch some videos on it, which led me to videos on the Gibson exhaust and others, which led me to the conclusion that the quietest option is OEM. So I'll just eat it and get the OEM part new.

Thank you.

I need to replace the loud aftermarket cat back that was installed by the previous owner. I've been dealing with exhaust drama trying to source the oem parts used. Finding parts, ordering parts, returning parts. It's been a pain. I'm finally looking at ordering new, and the best I can find is ~$650 shipped. At that price, it got me thinking that I should just ask for recommendations.

My goal is to be as quiet as possible. Do any of you have recommendations for aftermarket cat back systems, preferably in stainless? The only one I see is made by Gibson, but I fear that it is loud. Perhaps there are others.

It would be for the 2003-4 non-vvti models.

Thanks.

Some time ago, I removed my stock exhaust and replaced it with the largest Magnaflow straight through muffler and moved up to 2.5 tubing from the cat back. I wanted more of that V8 sound. I removed the stock rear resonator to tuck the tail pipe up for better ground clearance. Eventually that system got too loud for me. I then added a glass pack resonator in front of the Magnaflow and still a lot of drone. Eventually, I replaced that system with a Dynomax Hemi muffler which is not straight through, and a Magnaflow resonator in front of the muffler. This system was quieter but I still got a drone between 1600 and 2500 RPM which is annoying between 50 and 65 MPH and where I often drive. So, I added a butterfly valve from a Chevy truck's exhaust (from the muffler shop's scrap yard) before the resonator and now have kinda the best of both worlds. It's really quiet until you get on the gas and then a good V8 sound. The biggest draw back to this butterfly valve is that you need to kick the gas a bit more than normal to get the truck to kick down a gear because the butter fly needs the increase gases to open wider.

Honestly, if I had to do it again I might only remove the stock rear resonator and call it. I have been modifying exhaust my cars and motor cycles for over 40 years and have fairly good butt dyno... neither of these after market mufflers added any noticeable punch or grunt just more V8 sound. The only other vehicle I experienced no gains with a modified exhaust was a BMW M-3 because the stock exhaust was so well designed. My conclusion is that the biggest drag on exhaust gasses is in front of the system and gets crimped down at the cross over pipes. True dual's are not possible because you can't get a second pipe over the axle so drone with a single high performance muffler is probably something one needs to enjoy, or at least tolerate, with a modified exhaust. Some people might like it. I know as a teen a blown out Cherry Bomb on my Olds 442 was a thing of beauty. Yet, now as an older guy, I am like you and would prefer quite more often than loud all the time.

So, given that you want quiet you might want to go with a stock exhaust. I think Walker makes a replacement OEM muffler in 2.25" for under $300.00. Also, the GX460 is by far quieter than the GX470 so you may want to look into that system. Go take a test drive and see if the 460 exhaust is more to your liking. A good muffler shop should be able to help you out with customizing the fit. Of course quiet and too loud is relative to the individual's ear.

Last edited:
Some time ago, I removed my stock exhaust and replaced it with the largest Magnaflow straight through muffler and moved up to 2.5 tubing from the cat back. I wanted more of that V8 sound. I removed the stock rear resonator to tuck the tail pipe up for better ground clearance. Eventually that system got too loud for me. I then added a glass pack resonator in front of the Magnaflow and still a lot of drone. Eventually, I replaced that system with a Dynomax Hemi muffler which is not straight through, and a Magnaflow resonator in front of the muffler. This system was quieter but I still got a drone between 1600 and 2500 RPM which is annoying between 50 and 65 MPH and where I often drive. So, I added a butterfly valve from a Chevy truck's exhaust (from the muffler shop's scrap yard) before the resonator and now have kinda the best of both worlds. It's really quiet until you get on the gas and then a good V8 sound. The biggest draw back to this butterfly valve is that you need to kick the gas a bit more than normal to get the truck to kick down a gear because the butter fly needs the increase gases to open wider.

Honestly, if I had to do it again I might only remove the stock rear resonator and call it. I have been modifying exhaust my cars and motor cycles for over 40 years and have fairly good butt dyno... neither of these after market mufflers added any noticeable punch or grunt just more V8 sound. The only other vehicle I experienced no gains with a modified exhaust was a BMW M-3 because the stock exhaust was so well designed. My conclusion is that the biggest drag on exhaust gasses is in front of the system and gets crimped down at the cross over pipes. True dual's are not possible because you can't get a second pipe over the axle so drone with a single high performance muffler is probably something one needs to enjoy, or at least tolerate, with a modified exhaust. Some people might like it. I know as a teen a blown out Cherry Bomb on my Olds 442 was a thing of beauty. Yet, now as an older guy, I am like you and would prefer quite more often than loud all the time.

So, given that you want quiet you might want to go with a stock exhaust. I think Walker makes a replacement OEM muffler in 2.25" for under $300.00. Also, the GX460 is by far quieter than the GX470 so you may want to look into that system. Go take a test drive and see if the 460 exhaust is more to your liking. A good muffler shop should be able to help you out with customizing the fit. Of course quiet and too loud is relative to the individual's ear.

Thanks for your response. I'll look into the Walker.

I find that Walker doesn't last long even in dry places like here in NV. The Walker that I put in my Tacoma only lasted a year where as the Bosal has lasted twice as long. If Bosal makes one I'd look into that first.

I find that Walker doesn't last long even in dry places like here in NV. The Walker that I put in my Tacoma only lasted a year where as the Bosal has lasted twice as long. If Bosal makes one I'd look into that first.

Will do. Thanks!

Have you visited a 'muffler shop' to ask what they can offer or recommend? You may come out ahead with a fist full of cash to let them stick build a new system vs purchasing an OEM system. Even for stainless.

Just the muffler alone is $500+/-.

Have you visited a 'muffler shop' to ask what they can offer or recommend? You may come out ahead with a fist full of cash to let them stick build a new system vs purchasing an OEM system. Even for stainless.

Just the muffler alone is $500+/-.

That didn't even occur to me. I'll do that too. Thanks.

That didn't even occur to me. I'll do that too. Thanks.
You might ask if anyone here on MUD has a system they'd like to sell or give away or check the classifieds just to the right of FORUMS above. A lot of people do replace their system. I left mine at the muffler shop and wish I had grabbed it. It was still good and absolutely rust free. It might be expensive and a hard to ship but you might find someone nearby and worth a drive get it.

You might ask if anyone here on MUD has a system they'd like to sell or give away or check the classifieds just to the right of FORUMS above. A lot of people do replace their system. I left mine at the muffler shop and wish I had grabbed it. It was still good and absolutely rust free. It might be expensive and a hard to ship but you might find someone nearby and worth a drive get it.

Will do!

You can have my OEM. Lightly used, lots of life left:

:p

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I second the suggestion to ask around here, and also call local wrecking yards. Hopefully no need to buy new.

Heh.

I tried the local yards. All they have is 05+.

My current plan is to:
- Ask around here
- Check to see what local muffler shops can do
- By new OEM. Bosal is as expensive as OEM. Walker seems to rust.

Is the muffler section physically different for an 05+? I see exhausts that claim to fit 03-09.

I can say for sure they do not directly mount up, and there is possibly an extra bung for some sort of sensor or vacuum line. Unless I messed things up royally or they sent me the wrong part labelled as a GX470 muffler...

If you look at the URD exhaust systems, they say 05+. The only aftermarket cat back I found that explicitly had a different version for 03-04 is Gibson.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom