'02 Sequoia Misbehaving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '02 Sequoia (2UZ-FE) ejected the #6 spark plug. So I drilled it out, tapped it and put in a helicoil. New plug and a new OEM coil (old ones were destroyed.)

I disconnected the battery to clear the codes, but now it wont idle or run without some help from the gas pedal. I've driven probably 50-60 miles with it, mixed freeway and city (two-foot driving) and its acting like it's not remapping the fuel tables, but that's NEVER taken this long before, and even then it would at least idle in park - although low and rough. Now, if I'm not on the gas at least a little bit it dies.

Any ideas on what I am missing?

no lights on? the voices in my head are thinking a spark/ignition issue. no codes?

After tinkering with it for a bit this evening I was able to fix it.

Turns out you have to follow some very specific steps to get the ECU to relearn the fuel mapping, and I didnt get them correct.

For anyone searching in the future: after reconnecting power you need to start the vehicle, let it idle for 90 seconds WITHOUT touching the gas pedal, and then immediately drive it through mixed city & freeway (50mph +) until it remaps. Then you can shut it down and restart it and it should run normally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom