01 4runner sputtering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the v6 and it is sputtering on uphills, but not on the flat. Recently had the o2 sensors replaced to clear a CEL that was emission related. That cleared that code, but another pops up that says that the cats are not up to epa standards. At first I dismissed this, but I once had a GMC with similar symptoms that ended up being the cats. Any other ideas?

I'm sure you already checked, but I've read that a faulty/dirty MAF will trip the same code. This happened to me, but I knew what the problem was right away because I had been in a dusty environment and still had the piece of k&n. Sure enough, cleaned the MAF with electrical contact cleaner (found at Radio Shak or like place), threw the piece of k&n, and dropped in an oem filter. Also cleaned the throttle body while I was there.

May not help, but mine was sputtering on uphills like yours. Did you use oem O2 sensors?

I'm sure you already checked, but I've read that a faulty/dirty MAF will trip the same code. This happened to me, but I knew what the problem was right away because I had been in a dusty environment and still had the piece of k&n. Sure enough, cleaned the MAF with electrical contact cleaner (found at Radio Shak or like place), threw the piece of k&n, and dropped in an oem filter. Also cleaned the throttle body while I was there.

May not help, but mine was sputtering on uphills like yours. Did you use oem O2 sensors?

Yes, we used OEM sensors. I'll float the idea about the MAF and see what happens.

Thanks

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom