(VERY) Simple mod for blinking side markers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

This is for those that wish to have blinking side markers, without drilling big holes on the light housings, and at a minimal cost (less than a buck).

Credit: Thanks to Daniel Stern for this cool idea. I have this project pondering in my head for years but haven't felt the need to do it till today (after reading quite a few post on 'Mud doing Slee's way - somewhat complex, IMHO).

The parts needed:

. Two Self-Stripping Electrical Tap Connector (approx. $.12 each)
. Two butt connectors (approx. $.12 each)
. 2 ft of 16-18 gauge electrical wire ($.25/ft)

Here's how I did it (shown only one side since the other's the same): Mine is an LX but I guess the wirings are similar on LCs
(Wiring diagram could be found at: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/markerflash/markerflash.html)

1. Remove the side marker to be working on: Open the hood and remove a single screw that hold the light housing on. Take it off by gently apply pressure evenly on the rear housing pulling forward.
2. Tap 1ft of electrical wire into the (pulsing) positive lead (the green one) on the front signal light using the self-tapping connector - this is easily done laying on the ground looking up.
3. Feed the new wire up the same path as the original wiring.
4. This is the main part: cut the ground feed (white with black stripe) on the side marker wirings (I cut in the middle of the connectors on the light housing since this is a simple part just in case I want to restore the original wirings or replacing it.)
5. Finally, strip and connect the new wire to the white/black end of the side marker light using the butt connector. Shorten the new wire as needed to make it looks neat. You could leave the other end of the white/black wire dangling as it's just a ground.

==> Reinstall the light housing and you're DONE!

I also used electrical tape to secure all connectors and to protect the new wires from chapping. Took me approximately 30min. to get both sides done. I've uploaded the videos of the signals and side markers in action on Google but it'll take some time till they get verified (and viewed). PM me if you'd like me to send them via email.

Cheers,
Frank.
IMG_3407.JPG
IMG_3410.JPG

Last edited:
Even simpler is to just swap the front orange signal bulb and corner bulp- plug n play. The plug holes are the same.

It's in the archives I think LR_Resq posted this a while ago.

FirstToy said:
Even simpler is to just swap the front orange signal bulb and corner bulp- plug n play. The plug holes are the same.

It's in the archives I think LR_Resq posted this a while ago.

But I think SJ's will allow both the corners and the fronts to act as turn signals -- probably in an alternating fashion if the parking lights are turned on. Correct?

Hooked my ARB lights up this way - they work great. Not my idea but stolen from this thread post #4

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=14006&highlight=arb+marker+lights

MoJ said:
But I think SJ's will allow both the corners and the fronts to act as turn signals -- probably in an alternating fashion if the parking lights are turned on. Correct?

Yes, the side markers would blink in parallel with the turn signals when parking lights are Off; and sequentially flashing turn signal -> side marker -> turn signal lights with parking lights On - all while retaining all original functionalities.

SJ

Did you find the need to install a larger flasher for your turn signals with the extra mods? I'm going to add my ARB lights into the mix as well. Has anyone needed a larger flasher with all three light flashing? Thanx for the cool & simple mod.

George

would it be worth the work to find some junkyard sockets and make them both the same. meaning using some turn signal sockets that way they always blink together?

just added this mod as well... works great!!

Did it here, too.

If you're like me and too lazy even to get underneath to connect the wire to the front signal lamp, you can do it just as easily from a standing position by removing the front signal lamp from the body (two screws per fixture) :D

I realize this is a very old thread but I've been contemplating the Slee corner light mod or just swapping the turn signal and corner light harnesses...but I came across this thread and it sounds like the most economical, simplest, and safest way to get the front turn signals and corner lights to function together...

Do any of the people that have done this mod have any feedback after having it installed for a long time? Any issues with flashers?

Thanks!

Do any of the people that have done this mod have any feedback after having it installed for a long time? Any issues with flashers?

Thanks!

Did the Slee mod about 3-4 years ago. Did an amber LED and No Problems.

Blueegg said:
Did the Slee mod about 3-4 years ago. Did an amber LED and No Problems.

I'm curious about the mod described above--not the Slee mod. The method above is much more simple, less expensive, and essentially accomplishes the exact same thing.

Thoughts?

Sent from my HTC Evo using IH8MUD

Well, I did it and it works perfectly and it was free because I had the wire and connectors laying around the garage already...

I definitely think this is the best way to accomplish the corner light turn signals. Just swapping the sockets is a major shortcut and the Slee method is more intrusive and more work than necessary. The method above is a major winner!

Just swapping the sockets is a major shortcut

I wouldn't call it a shortcut, unless it's not legal for some reason in your state.

Here in Oregon the turn lights can be on the corner, and clear lights are okay. So swapping the sockets is cheap (free) and easy.

I considered doing this or the Slee version, I'm happy with swapping sockets. It works just fine for me, and the turn signals are far more visible than they were before.

........I considered doing this or the Slee version, I'm happy with swapping sockets. It works just fine for me, and the turn signals are far more visible than they were before.

The only problem with swapping sockets is that you now have no side visible clearance light near the front of your rig. The original corner clearance light, which was visible from both side and front can now, only be seen from the front. True, your turn signals are now visible from both front and side, but they're only on when you use your indicator lever. In essence, this is a reduced function mod. It would be better, IMHO to do one of the mods listed above, so you don't lose any night visibility, which includes being seen, as well as seeing. I chose to do my own mod a few years ago, which is slightly more complex, but it works for me and doesn't share filaments or circuits, which IMHO is superior and should remain free of introducing "twilight zone" electrical bugs. But, to each their own.

80t0ylc said:
The only problem with swapping sockets is that you now have no side visible clearance light near the front of your rig. The original corner clearance light, which was visible from both side and front can now, only be seen from the front. True, your turn signals are now visible from both front and side, but they're only on when you use your indicator lever. In essence, this is a reduced function mod. It would be better, IMHO to do one of the mods listed above, so you don't lose any night visibility, which includes being seen, as well as seeing. I chose to do my own mod a few years ago, which is slightly more complex, but it works for me and doesn't share filaments or circuits, which IMHO is superior and should remain free of introducing "twilight zone" electrical bugs. But, to each their own.

I couldn't agree more about the swap method. I wasn't comfortable with it at all due to the lack of side clearance lights. It just didn't sit well with me...

I did read your thread and contemplated going that route, but I figured I would try the method in this thread first because it is much easier and quicker (no parts to find or buy) and its also very easy to reverse if I didn't like it.

It accomplishes everything I want it to and it does it perfectly all while maintaining the original function.

A couple splice connectors, a couple butt connectors, a couple feet of wire, some electrical tape and 5 minutes. Done and done!

The only problem with swapping sockets is that you now have no side visible clearance light near the front of your rig. The original corner clearance light, which was visible from both side and front can now, only be seen from the front. True, your turn signals are now visible from both front and side, but they're only on when you use your indicator lever. In essence, this is a reduced function mod. It would be better, IMHO to do one of the mods listed above, so you don't lose any night visibility, which includes being seen, as well as seeing.

Visibility isn't so much an issue for marker lights as it is for turn signals, at least in my experience. If I'm turning, I really want the person to the side of me to see that I'm turning. If I'm driving in a straight line, it's generally not so important that the person to the side see me.

Whether your turn signals or marker lights are in the lamps under the headlights, there's a blind zone from the side. There are marker lights on the rear, so that helps eliminate the blind zone. Not to mention head lights, etc.

OTOH, the turn signals don't have a side light. So if you're directly to the side, it's darn near invisible.

I totally agree that this mod of Slee's is superior to just swapping the wiring. But I still think that swapping the wiring is superior to the OEM (80) setup. And I've noticed that there are actually quite a few vehicles setup that way from the factory (marker under the headlight, turn in the corner). So if you don't want to rewire anything, swapping the lights is a super cheap and easy way to improve visibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom