Need some Orion info... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to get an Orion kit and was wondering...
1) If anyone has tried the 3:1 ratio kit? I have an NV4500 and this will give me plenty of low.
2) Is there any strength differences between the 4:1 and 3:1?
3) Do the new kits resolve the "slipping out of high gear" problem?
4) What else should I replace in the transfer case to make it brand new?

Thanks for your help, Scott

If you are going to spend the bucks for the orion, and a lower crawl ratio is obviously what is desired, in my mind I wouldn't consider anything but the 4:1 ratio. I recently order my orion and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I spoke with the tech guys at advanced adaptors about the popping out of gear problem and they assured me that the problem has been rectified, I guess only time will tell for sure. The orion info sticky at the top of this web page helped alot in providing information for my decision, if you haven't yet you should check it out.

Hit the F A Q towards the bottom you will find the Orion link...

3:1 gear set is not ready.....nor is the HD.

You will not benifit strength wise from a 3:1 over a 4:1....The 4:1 gears are larger than stock, and VERY strong, combined with the fact that they are in a new cast iron case that will not distort under load, and is a bit larger to compensate for the larger gear set, UNLIKE other 4:1 gear sets for other tcases that needed to be made SMALLER to fit into a pre-existing case.

The popping into neurtal issue should be dead with the NEW Orion kits supplied by AA, or with the use of the update pieces coverd in the stickie at the top of this section, for an older case.

Get a new shift collar from Toyota...covered in the FAQ

Get a new mainshaft from AA or another parts house...also in the FAQ

There are other tips covered in the FAQ...

Take your time with the set up, and you will be fine.

Good luck!

-Steve

thanks for all the info. I'm having a shop so the work so I'm wondering if there is any way to tell if the "new kit" from AA has the fix or now. Is there a serial# or something that can tell me?

Thanks, Scott

No serial number cut off that I know of, but just look at the pieces....if the hi-speed gear is machined, that is good. IF stepped thrust washers are supplied, that is good. If you have a new shift shaft,spring, ball and a brass hex nut, then you should have all the mods to make the unit reliable. There may be other mods that I'm not aware of, but these seem to be the highlights of the most recent discoveries....Read the sticky too!!

Cheers!

When did you purchase the Orion?

Did you purchase it from AA, or ????

Is the shop doing the work a Land Crusier shop, and have they built any Orion's yet?

Poser said:
When did you purchase the Orion?

Did you purchase it from AA, or ????

Is the shop doing the work a Land Crusier shop, and have they built any Orion's yet?

I'm bringing the FJ to http://www.mudrak.com/ Mudrak Custom Cruiser in Sonoma, CA. They will be putting the Orion in and getting it from, I assume, AA. They are a LC shop and now I'm armed with with enough information to make sure the parts put in are the latest (high gear grind, new shift collar, stepped thrush washer).

I'll let you know how it works!!!

Thanks all, Scott

sfrolich said:
I'm bringing the FJ to http://www.mudrak.com/ Mudrak Custom Cruiser in Sonoma, CA. They will be putting the Orion in and getting it from, I assume, AA. They are a LC shop and now I'm armed with with enough information to make sure the parts put in are the latest (high gear grind, new shift collar, stepped thrush washer).

I'll let you know how it works!!!

Thanks all, Scott

Scott-

I would be very surprised if Gary does not have this info already...

Your truck will be in great hands.

:beer:

A A will send you a kit if you call them with the orion S/N......once they have your orion's s/n they can tell you more about what needs to be done during installation. I called them yesterday about this.

New cases should be being shipped with all the new goodies in them already..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom