flat pitman arm for a 60 series steering box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
long time reader here and need some help

ive recently put 60 series power steering setup on my fj40 cruiser and then today i flipped the front springs to get some extra wheelbase (103" at the moment)
however i stuffed up slightlyand need to swap the pitman arm on the box to a flat one was wondering if anyone knew of anything that i could find in australia to suit

ill take some pics shortly and post up

i suppose i sohuld also post up some pics of my whole 40 or maby i can makes you all wait till the 12th when bad_religion has me as rotw :)

im in the same club as him here in australia so dont hold that against me

You may be stuffed.... ;) ( I love that! )

I am not aware of a FLAT pitman arm that will swap right onto the 60 series box....

hopefully someone will post one up!

Good luck!

-Steve

hey pcman... er sorry flaming bandit. might want to trythe 60 series corner as well... the 60 powersteering conversion isn't that big in the US because they don't have as many junked ones as us ;)

The FJ60/62 steering box has the same pitman arm spline count as an IFS mini truck steering box. IE i mounted one of these to my 62 steering box with no problems. Sky-manufacturing.com is were i got it :grinpimp:

Stew
Pitmancomparision.jpg

thanks all

i think the cheapest solution will be to relocate the steering box slightly

owell just have to crank out the welder to weld up the old holes GRRR

the plesures of a 40

that custom flat arm looks sweet but at $110us thats gonna cost me over $200 to get it to australia

Sweet info there Stew!

:beer:

I have one like this set up for the FJ60 power steering box, it was CNC from solid billet....But it's reamed to accept 1-ton chevy tie-rod end and work perfectly with the 4x4labs hi-steer.

flatpitman.jpg

By the way, anybody wants it? Still new...Since I decided to go with Saginaw instead.

/td

Did you have that made, make it, or purchase it, and if so, from where.

That is NICE!

and another 5 to float em home :)

70 series is flat too, G&S cruiserparts might have one, or some canadian sole.....

rick

rick_d said:
70 series is flat too, G&S cruiserparts might have one, or some canadian sole.....

rick

he has a 75 series one that's not flat... and also any wrecker around him has 70 series in them :)

can you just flip it upside down :D

Unless I'm beefing things up, my usual approach on an FJ60 PS conversion into a '40 is:

Use the FJ40 arm. Cut it near the big end and flip it. When you reassemble it you can further flatten it if you want. Then use the FJ40 draglink and the FJ40 relay rod to make a new draglink which matches up at both ends.

With this approach you can tuck the arm right up against the frame as close as you want.

Mark...

im using 60 draglink and 75 steering arm (the one that joins both nuckles together) and 60 series kingpin arms

lots more beefier than 40 series stuff

My latest rig uses a Scout Sagnaw steering box and a modified Scout pitman arm. Massive compared to the Cruiser arms. I used late model '60/'62 knuckle arms (also much larger than the '40 stuff) and made the drag link and the tie rod out of FJ60 tie rods. Again, MUCH heavier duty than the '40 stuff.

And very little expense involved. That's always a good thing. ;)

Mark...

couple of pics here of my setup

i got the steering arms off a mate that went to 80 diffs and coils

brough the steering box off ebay
and brought the steering colum and intermediate shaft off ebay

custom pump mount and a small pump from a mitsubishi sigma

and also one teaser pic of my 40 :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom