Radiator Cradle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Using the materials on hand, built this enlarged copy of the stock radiator cradle. The radiator is 19" x 26", so it would not fit the oem bracket. Hindsight should of had them build it smaller.
Anyway here are a couple pics, will get better ones up in the daylight when she is installed.
radiator cradle.JPG
radiator cradle 2.JPG

Man.... That thing looks tougher than an ARB bull bar!

It does look tough. Should last a while. Out of curiosity what radiator is that and I assume its for a V8, correct? What are you planning for a fan and shroud?

I have read that key to making that al rad last is to isolate it from both shock/vibration and steel to al contact for corrosion. You seem to have addressed rigidity but what do you plan for the dissimilar metals issue?

The radiator is a double pass cross flow from Ron Davis. Old hoses are not going to fit,and the side fit is tight but livable.

The radiator cradle is insulated from the batterys electrical ground path, I do not see an issue of the steel mating surface to the aluminum side brackets on radiator, but will look into it. Was planning on some sort've rubber grommets/ bushings, where the radiator bolts to cradle, which would remove any actual metal to metal contact.
radiator cradle hood down.JPG
radiator cradle tight.JPG

Nice! Who's shop built that for you or is it yours?

The bracket is home-made.

Fan/shroud, will be based off electric fan requirements as the motor sits too low for mechanical. Been running a Mark viii, off the old radiator, but will need modification to work on this one. May just run a Spal puller without shroud till I work something out.

Couple of things left to do + source radiator hoses or make something up with tubing & straight sections of hose.

LC_hamma, not bad, where did you source the aluminum u-bends? And did you flare a bead or weld one on the tube?

I did not have an Ac/dc tig at the time I bought the Ron Davis radiator, and there was no way I was going to eat the $$ I spent trying to re-sell the radiator on e-pay.

This link shows how to mod junkyard aluminum radiators, and I would like to try it someday, because its just dam crafty.

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/communi...m&albumid=9980171507156&ownerid=9990120412248

Planet_X said:
LC_hamma, not bad, where did you source the aluminum u-bends? And did you flare a bead or weld one on the tube?

I did not have an Ac/dc tig at the time I bought the Ron Davis radiator, and there was no way I was going to eat the $$ I spent trying to re-sell the radiator on e-pay.

This link shows how to mod junkyard aluminum radiators, and I would like to try it someday, because its just dam crafty.

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/communi...m&albumid=9980171507156&ownerid=9990120412248

Got the alum prebent tubing online somewhere - dangit I should write this stuff down so I know where to go next time! It came with the bead already formed, so I marked where to weld & let a shop, setup in alum, weld it up for me. They also welded a few tabs for my aux fan. IIRC, I paid $170 for the radiator (22" X 19") & $15 for the prebent tube. IMO, that's a good link if you got the time, tools, knowhow & no $$$ for a new radiator. Otherwise I'd just buy a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom