Vibration noise in '99 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In my '99 Cruiser I've had a high frequency, harmonic vibration noise coming from the engine area. It sounds like two thin metal plates vibrating against each other. It's worse when I first start it up and accelerate lightly. It doesn't occur under no load (unless on first start up in the morning) or under a steady load. It is not related to engine speed. And, since it typically only occurs while underway, I can't get a look at it while it's happening.
A friend had told me that it was the heat shield plates over the catalytic converter, but it's definitely not coming from that area (the sound is much more forward, in the engine, even front of engine area). Any other ideas?

Sorry, duplication

Sorry, I accidentally posted this again. Thought it didn't "stick" the first time because I couldn't find it.

It is the shields on the catalytic converter. They break close to the mounting bolts and then rattle like that. Big hose clamp around them will do the trick.

I know you say it is not from there, but have you actuall inspected them?

I also have that problem on my 99. It only happens when I start it after a few hours of not being used....and after 30 seconds to 60 seconds it stops. I will check out what you suggest, but why does it not happen on warm starts?

-Matt

Although it definitely sounded like the noise was coming from the front of the engine, I now think it is the catalytic heat shields. I tried someone's suggestion and just started tapping on things with a plastic mallet. When I tapped on the exhaust behind the cat, it rattled the shields and made a noise very much like I was hearing.

I'll try the big hose clamp suggestion, but also wondered whether it would be good to insert some type of heat-resistant gasket material between the plates where they are vibrating together(?)

That sounds like a good idea to me. Let us know how it works out!
I have the same problem, It really sucks when you are pulling away form a restaurant and it starts that crap! :rolleyes:
DMX

Where do I find a big hose clamp that will fit over the converter? Any suggestions? I am so sick of this rattle. It makes a great vehicle sound like it's falling apart.

Hose clamps

Greg,
I found some large hose clamps at Loews. The one that goes up to about 4 1/2" or 5" was just right. I also put some high temperature liquid gasket material in between the heat shields where they overlap (and rattle!). I put the hose clamp on after putting in the gasket stuff. I'm letting it all set up tonight, and hopefully I'll have a quiet (or at least quieter) ride tomorrow morning.

It all does seem a little crazy to have to make such a "cheap" (in all respects) fix on such a well built and expensive truck.

Bruce

Does the clamp go all the way around the converter or just around the pipe going into the converter. If around the converter, I was expecting to have to buy something that would fit almost around a basketball. Am I just confused?

And the results are...

Not a peep, rattle, ring, or noise at all this morning. Smooth as a sewing machine! Can't believe I've finally silenced the beast.

I used the hose clamp and the liquid gasket material like caulking between the overlapping plates. Since I did both, I'm not sure if either method by itself would have worked. My guess is that the gasket material alone probably would have worked.

Greg, the catalytic converters are not as big around as they first seem. The first hose clamps I got were way too big. The 4" model was just right. On my car, the noise was coming from the plates/shields that overlapped at the bottom of the cat , i.e. closest to the ground, and at the front of the cat, i.e. closest to the engine. The hose clamp went around this area which tapers up from the exhaust pipe. So, it's not quite as big around as the main body of the cat. The cat itself seems to be in two parts, with the second part being slightly larger diameter. If you have a rattle in there, it would probably take a 6" or so hose clamp.

I was pretty lucky, so far, that I could find the exact source of the rattle by tapping the mallet on the exhaust pipe. I imagine in others the noise might be harder to locate, or to reach. But I'll take this victory for now and hope it stays quiet!

Bruce

I think this is prime FAQ material. There are a fair amount of folks with the mystery rattle, myself included, that could appreciate a cheap effective fix.

Thanks
Tad

Pictures would definately make this FAQ worthy.

Picture

I'll try to take a pic and post it in the next few days.

2 - 7" hose clamps from Lowes ---- $4.00
15 minutes of my time putting them on ---- N/C
Not having my LC sound like it is falling apart when I begin to drive ---- Priceless

What an easy fix.

I have never looked so forward to going to the drive-thru at Wendy's just to not hear the rattle anymore.

Last edited:
Picture

Okay, here's a pic of my repair with the hose clamp and the red high-temp liquid gasket material that I put between the vibrating heat shields. The part that was rattling was just below the hose clamp where you can see the most gasket material. That's where the shields overlapped.

37653040.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I bought 4 and 7" hose clamps on Saturday to get this taken care of.

Stone - Not questioning what you posted, but how does one go about proving to Toyota there is a recall? Is this site one recognized by the dealership?

That is a TSB not a recall (unfortunately). Essentially means that a level of complaints have reached a point that would justify a TSB but NOT a recall.

The TSB will get you no where with a dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom