Will OBD-II Software work with a '95? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.brian894x4.com
I'd like to buy some OBD-II software that I can interface with my laptop for real time driving info. Something like the Palmer Performance Engineernig that I found mentioned here while searching, looks pretty good.

However, does anyone know if this will this work with a '95 for sure or not? I didn't see any definate answer from searching. I know my '95 was partly OBD-II complient and I believe has the connector, but not sure if it will work with this type of software or if it will give all the readings like the '96 and later?

Also, anyone have an updated recommendations on software? Most of the search results were from 2006 and older.

Thanks much.

Was it '94s that were "some OBD II" and "some not" or did that extend into '95? I think I remember reading it was '94s that were in question.

I'm pretty sure '95 was the split year where Toyota installed at least some OBD-II complience, even though it wasn't required until '96. I believe it also has the diagonistic connector of older rigs as well. I saw the OBD-II connector, which I believe is located above the fuse box. The last time I had it smogged, though, they didn't use the connector, they treated it like it was OBD-I, probably just because of the model year.

But I've heard it could be smogged like it was OBD-II, just wasn't sure if it was missing any sensors or the proper wiring to work with OBD-II PC based software for '96 and later vehicles.

Some 95's are OBD 1.5, some are full OBDII compliant.

Open the hood. Look on the part over where the battery sits. There should be a label similar to the one pictured below (Toyota label, VERY similar).

If it is OBDII compliant, there will be a phrase beneath the word "CATALYST" that says "OBD II CERTIFIED", similar to the 50-State label pictured.

emissions_cert.jpg

HTH
-Lane

Last edited:
Glad to help. :cheers:

We've had a few cruisers come in for emissions, one was a 95, I was stunned to see that it was fully OBDII compliant, even though we were doing a sniffer test on it.

Mine doesn't even have a sticker, but it's a 91, so who cares? :hillbilly:

So, with a 96 and older LC/LX can you run to the local Autoshop and have diagnostics run? Do the 96 LC/LX have obdII connections or are they vehicle indepent?

Newbie questions before making purchase

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom