Propane conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have experience with running a propane 2f instead of gas? I thought it might be a better alternative for when gas is $3.00 a gallon :doh:

Thanks

I don't have any experience but have seen several rigs running propane and am interested myself. The research I have done looks like it would be a good system. It seems you may lose a little horsepower but the advantages such as cost and ability to run at extreme angles look very promising. Any of you out there that run propane respond and give your opinion.

I like it..

That is my opinion ;)

Today, I went to the pump and the gas was 1$/liter for regular and 1.07$/liter for the supreme!!!!! (more than 4$ a gallon IIRC) :mad: They are crazy here in Montreal...i don't know what is going on!!! This s*cks!! Maybe propane is what I need for my cruiser and my chevy van.....

thinking about propane... i guess i could just fill up at my house and have an infinite supply. Thats kinda cool. Does it work with fuel injection? How do you do it?

Im interested... more info please

http://www.4x44u.com/Features/PropaneConversionPickup/
How does propane stack-up against gasoline?
Propane is safer (slower burning, higher ignition temperature) than gasoline, and because of its relatively simple chemical makeup (C3H8), it is potentially cleaner burning. Oil & filter changes can be extended when engines are run exclusively on propane. Likewise, longer engine life (often 180,000-200,000 miles) is expected. There's also a potential loss of power at WOT with a five to fifteen percent lower volumetric efficiency. While this hurts bi-fuel vehicle performance, dedicated propane vehicles can run higher CRs to maximize propane's 104 octane rating and recover some lost power. Propane lacks lubricity, so some OEs use hardened valves/seats and guides; nor does propane provide for intake cooling, as do vaporizing liquid fuels.

How is the propane kept pressurized on the vehicle?
Liquid propane is pumped onboard under pressure and is stored under 200 psi in one or more moderate-sized steel tanks. Propane's "storage ratio" to gasoline is roughly 1.1 to 1, thus a bi-fuel propane vehicle tank doesn't take up as much cargo space as tanks for CNG.
Does the environment affect the performance?
Winter start-ups are easier with gaseous propane, but during hot weather, propane displaces already thin intake air which leads to hat start "enleanment." If exposed to summer heat and sunshine, propane tank temperatures/pressures can rise radically. These conditions are handled by the tank's 20% "expansion volume" and the vehicle's fuel pressure regulator(s).
http://www.4x44u.com/Features/PropaneConversionPickup/

Thanks atoyot. Nice info.

is it even reasonable for a dd though?

i always thought it was just some crazy awesome trail rig mod...

drooling over thoughts of the orange cruiser....mmmmhmmmmm

malphrus

cruiserpic12b.jpg

LOL
A propane powered, turbocharged, six cylinder in a cruiser, who'd a thunked it..

As far as a daily driver it all depends on if you have propane stations available in convienent areas. There is no reason that if you have reliable source of fuel that a propane powered rig won't work as a DD.

Mill the head for additional compression, run higer compression pistons or get a turbo. Then propane is fun.

The cool thing about propane is how simple the systems are.

Oh yeah, his bezel is upside down..

That bezel doesn't even look stock? Maybe the whole rig is just throwing me off balance.

I ran an 80 series cruiser on LPG (Propane) here in the UK

You lose power and MPG - Here, with $6 for a gallon of petrol and $2 a gallon of LPG - we live with that problem.

I went with IMPCO kit. They are a US company.

Get a professional to fit it - can be dangerous.

I haven't priced propane lately but last winter when buying for my house it was only 10-20 cents per gallon cheaper than gas. I don't think it's worth the trouble for that price. You would never make up the cost of the conversion.

apparently the bezel had to go upside-down for something like the rad or some other cooler (that's what i heard a while back on pirate)

so mace, are you done/sorta done with yours yet?

post up some pics of your setup if you can, i'd like to get another look at it

malphrus

What do we have here?

A PROPANE THREAD....

don't want this to fall off the front page....might not be able to find the FAQ section....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom