sloshing sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry for another presumbaly stupid question - I am noticing a sloshing sound on the right side of my 1990 Cruiser when I accelerate/decelerate. Sounds like water splashing around in a big container. Maddening. I haven't heard it before and it is pretty obvious now, but maybe I'm listening more. Any thoughts?

You most likely have water trapped in the rocker panel. Is this an 80 Series?

Yeah, it's an 80. How'd the water get in and how to get it out? Thanks for your help.

It got there via the forward sunroof drain hoses. It's stuck there because the slit drains in the bottom of the pinch-weld are plugged up.

The quick fix is to pull the forward rocker plugs. You can use a zip tie to clean the slit drains out.

How do I unplug the drains? Any diagrams about where the slit drains/pinch-welds are? Bought a Chilton service manual at Napa. Few diagrams that aren't great anyway - a waste.

California.
Bought the car used. Messed up car fax and odometer but good mechanical shape. Owner's manual was aftermarket for a 1991 but the sticker in the door jamb with the VIN says made 3/90. Body style doesn't look like a 60 series. Looks like pics I've seen of 80 series but there isn't much of a flare of the fenders over the wheels. What do you think I've got?

Look at the bottom of the rocker. You will see a round plastic plug about a foot back from the front edge of the rocker. Pop that out (careful about that so you don't get yer Saturday night bath early..:hillbilly: ). That will solve your immidate problem.

The slits are a bit harder to locate.

Get on your back and study the back side of the pinchweld wher the inner and outer rockers come togther. About a foot back from the font edge you will see a slit, near the bottom edge, that is on the inner vertical surface. You can use a zip tie, as you would a rifle cleaning rod, to clear the drain.

Owner's manual was aftermarket for a 1991 but the sticker in the door jamb with the VIN says made 3/90.

You have a very early 1991 80 series Land Cruiser.

1991 80 series production began in January of 1990.

Nice. Thanks alot, guys. Can't believe how much time I am spending on this site. Please let me know how to support it. Any places to patronize in San Diego?

Nice. Thanks alot, guys. Can't believe how much time I am spending on this site. Please let me know how to support it. Any places to patronize in San Diego?

Buy a SilverStar (click here) to help support MUD...Good benefits and cheap :D

You've also already met the Parts Shaman, Cruiserdan :cool:. Dan is the source for many of us for parts for our 80s. Great prices on parts, great service, seems to somehow know what parts you need before you do, and as you have seen, he knows a lot about 80s.

Check this thread out for more --> Cruiserdan Parts Shaman

Timely thread. After last Friday's rain I heard sloshing also. Truck has been out of service waiting on a shipment from the Shaman (new intake boot - old one cracked big time) Had the truck parked nose forward last night and noticed some water droplets right where Dan describes the pinch weld drain this morning. Little weekend work for this one!

'94 White LC; Kaymar Rear Bumper w/tire carrier; Hanna Sliders; ARB winch ready Front Bumper; Slee Transfer Case Skid Plate; Revo 285's, OME 850/863 Heavy 2" lift, INTI Rack; Sputnik!

You took a very nice, one-owner, stock white Land Cruiser and you have ruined it.

Jacked it up like a South Carolina red-neck, put silly bumpers on the front and back, mud tires (like there is mud in Kalifornia), added a winch that you don't even know how to use, and put a Beverly Hill Billies roof rack on it. (Where is the rockin' chair Jethro?)

:sheesh: :rolleyes:

BTW, I love it. :D

-B-

You took a very nice, one-owner, stock white Land Cruiser and you have ruined it.

Jacked it up like a South Carolina red-neck, put silly bumpers on the front and back, mud tires (like there is mud in Kalifornia), added a winch that you don't even know how to use, and put a Beverly Hill Billies roof rack on it. (Where is the rockin' chair Jethro?)

:sheesh: :rolleyes:

BTW, I love it. :D

-B-

Too Funny! You are probably the best person to remember my quotes about NEVER on the bumpers, sliders, winch, etc. :D

You mean like the first TWO times you got ass-ended?...........:lol:

You mean like the first TWO times you got ass-ended?...........:lol:

I'm up to three times now Dan! :crybaby: This last one was the first time any real damage occured.

thearch8 said:
Since you're in SD, check out the SoCal 80's section also. https://forum.ih8mud.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91

Are you new to SD?

So do the slits look like a little half moon just above the seal? Three to a side right? Front PS will be a PITA to get to well with the cat protector on the sliders. Pulled the front most rubber plug. Not much. Do all three plugs come out? The back two are a different style. Tried a super small wire, but it just wanted to bend. Will try the zip tie next weekend.

I just pulled the front plugs on both sides, no plans to put them back or figure out how to clean the slits. Lots of water came out of both when I removed them. Good idea to test your tubes down from the moonroof by (bravely) pouring water over the (closed!) glass. The water should almost immediately come out the drain plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom