1987 FJ60 - No Rust! - $1,000 - Falls Church, VA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

(SOLD) 1987 FJ60 - No Rust! - $1,000 - Falls Church, VA(SOLD)

I was going to buy this vehicle and got vetoed by my wife. :eek: :eek: I told the seller that I would put an ad up here to try to sell it for him as I felt so badly about not buying it.:idea:

Here is the information from the seller:

-Manual Transmission -186k miles
-In need of a new air pump to be in working order
-I used it as a daily driver before the air pump went out
-No visible rust damage
-Interior is in great condition
-4WD in working order with locking hubs
-AC works but makes the engine idle very fast
-Asking for $1000 -Purchased 2 years ago for $3200 and hasn't given me any problems until the air pump went out.
-Just had a second child and got new mini-van

I have looked at this truck and can tell you that it is very clean - here is what I found:

THE GOOD:
This FJ60 appears to have spent most of it's life in Atlanta, GA. YEA no road salt!! (I have CarFax I will send if you want)

Body and Frame:

Absolutely zero rust on body except for some very light surface rust on body piece directly below the grill. Checked all the trouble spots and it was clean, clean clean! :) - I did a magnet check on the whole body and found no bondo.

Very light surface rust on frame - no cancer. :D

Spector Off-Road Hitch and Ball.

Interior:

Seats front and back - no fabric rips, a couple of very light stains but no holes, etc.

Carpet in good shape, dirty but all there and in good shape.

Absolutely perfect dash - I repeat PERFECT - looks brand new - all the door panels are the same - fresh!

Good Headliner.

Rear Seat Heater.

THE BAD:

Engine is semi-torn-apart missing smog pump/fan/shrouding/water pump pulley/and radiator hoses:confused: Radiator is drained.

Air filter is gone and it looked like a small animal had nested in the air cleaner holder - full of debris.

Owner said all parts were there when he had it towed after the smog pump died.

Said - "I came out from work and started it up and it made a horrific squeal so I turned it off. Started back up after buddy told him it was the smog pump that was frozen and drive it two blocks to mechanic"

The mechanic took off the smog pump and other stuff and ordered the smog pump - which when it came was the wrong pump and the owner called the whole thing off as he had an 8-month prego wife... He has no idea where the rest of the stuff is....

I got no reason not to believe him....he will include the old smog pump

Needs tires.

THE UGLY:

Needs new front bumper as he did an ice dance and spun into another car, clipped the bumper and bent it - no body visible damage.

Rear bumper is dented and pushed in about 1/2 on left side - this owner said it came that way.

No records of any kind. This owner said the last owner was a mechanic who did his own work (hence, no records?)

Non-stock ugly mirrors.

Torn-apart motor.

Body is full of small dings, dents, life-scar, missing some chrome trim - no biggie to me.

SO:

Whadda think? I think that at $1,000 it's a steal

More Pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/HeyScotE/1987FJ60

Owners email - amir_aliabadi@hotmail.com

You can also contact me directly with a PM or at HeyScotE (@) gmail.com
IMG_0069 (3).JPG
collage (2).jpg

Last edited:
Looks like it worth it but, I was just wondering what others think. Did the knee dent on the glove box come from the ice dance partner in the passenger seat or another seperate front end hit?

Looks like it worth it but, I was just wondering what others think. Did the knee dent on the glove box come from the ice dance partner in the passenger seat or another seperate front end hit?

I just noticed that myself! The owner did not say anything about any other accidents...

too bad its not driveable, i'm a one banana guy and w/missing parts in the engine, really don't think i got the skills to get it working up to par. if i did, i'd buy it...

too bad its not driveable, i'm a one banana guy and w/missing parts in the engine, really don't think i got the skills to get it working up to par. if i did, i'd buy it...

I was sooooo going to buy it and then my wife was all "When was the last time you worked on a car?"- er, ah...danged if I can remember - I open up the hood of my current vehicles and it's like looking at the freakin' Space Shuttle...

So, being the good husband of 23 years that I am - I relented to her superior logic and kept household bliss....:ban:

Last edited:
Wow- as much as I said I didn't want to deal with carburetors ever again - that looks like a good deal on garage therapy. Thanks for the heads up!

Ditto to what Stumbaugh stated. I e-mailed for a phone number and he's trying to get 1200 bucks for it if someone will come get it this week. I'm looking for a good 60/62 but I'm out on this one. Think I'm going to call and offer him 500 bucks for it.

Brett

If anyone buys this I have a complete 2f from air cleaner to oil pan and fan to belhousing that would have any and all parts needed to complete this one. It is out of a 84 fj60 that got a v-8 swap.

Rob

I'm buying this tomorrow. I agree about the $1200 mystery price bump, but decided I didn't feel like quibbling over an extra $200. Of course, if it magically goes up tomorrow, I'm done on principle alone. I can't really fault the guy - he should sell it for what the market will bear - but it isn't THAT great of a deal at $1200.

Matzell - I'd appreciate any 2F parts you want to part with as it's missing the fan, shround, pulleys, etc.

Marc,

It's not a terrible deal, just make sure you look before you leap:

take a look at the inside frame rail right next to the muffler. Also look at the rear shock cross member and the inner reinforcement for the rear pintle hook. For some reason, these areas rust like a fawker on a 60/62.

Check the A pillar really well for rust hidden under the trim - rain gutter too.

Also, I have bought a few non running Land Cruisers that needed a new motor where the sellor had given me a story about how it needed a _____fill in the blank only to find a fully blown motor, transercase, et.

That truck should still fire up, even with out those parts, even if for just a few seconds...look before you leap! Your wallet will thank you.

Last edited:
I appreciate the heads up Stumbaugh. I did check the various items you listed and it really is a relatively rust free cruiser (by Virginia standards). I am content with the price that whatever evils may lurk I can get through them.

That being said, I absolutely agree 100% the car should turn over with what is in there presently. I looked over the car this a.m. but the owner wasn't there so i wasn't in a position to start it. But what it came down to was that once I saw it, I felt comfortable with the price. The oil was not cloudy and I did not see anything outwardly visible that alarmed me. Based upon what I saw, I am sure it was a daily driver up until recently, but still unsure of what it will take to fix it. My thinking is that if it just needs a smog pump it will be a screaming deal (although I already know it needs more than that as it is missing pieces and there will be things I will want to replace right off the bat). If it needs a new engine and tranny, which I really doubt but count rule out, then I will rebuild/replace/swap and still have a very nice cruiser with a fresh engine for under 6K (probably well under). The difference - I wouldn't buy a 6K cruiser right now. But I will buy a 1.2K cruiser that runs the risk of becoming a long term, higher cost project.

Perhaps a better way of expressing my logic is that, for "garage therapy," it is very hard to find a cruiser with potential for $1200. There have been several local cruisers for 3K-5K that were very clean. I am quite sure I will have that much into this cruiser in no time at all. But I can more easily justify a $1200 toy .

I will be sure to let everyone know whether the fix was truly this simple.

That's a great approach to this, I also like your "garage therapy" perspective. So many of the new generation of cruiser owners act like wrenching is detention and are unwilling to do anything themselves even with their hand being held. They are more interested in posing with their trucks than the dirty and greasy aspect of ownership - thus the sudden blossoming of cruiser shops accross the county - to cater to the credit card cruiser crowd...I like your attitude.

Have fun with it and let me know if you need some tech support.

Last edited:
Price Bump?

I am dissapointed that the price went up - I understand getting what the market can bear and all that, but still....I think that as soon as he saw what kind of response he got from my original ad that he thought he could get more.....oh well, I guess everyone will be happy in the end. As I said before he seems to be a great guy!

I still wish I could have bought it - but everything works out for a reason.....:grinpimp:

Last edited:
I do appreciate the heads up Scot. If I tire of the garage therapy and your wife has a change of heart I will gladly pass it onto to you for the same deal. I am just looking for play, not profit, so once it is no longer fun I'd just assume have someone else have a go at it.

I get the feeling we both have a similar outlook regarding these vehicles. And I also understand keeping the homestead happy comes first.

That being said - maybe he is justing asking $1200 now because he wants to give you a $200 commission.

You're not holding your breath on that, are you?

I do appreciate the heads up Scot. If I tire of the garage therapy and your wife has a change of heart I will gladly pass it onto to you for the same deal. I am just looking for play, not profit, so once it is no longer fun I'd just assume have someone else have a go at it.

I get the feeling we both have a similar outlook regarding these vehicles. And I also understand keeping the homestead happy comes first.

That being said - maybe he is justing asking $1200 now because he wants to give you a $200 commission.

You're not holding your breath on that, are you?

I know what you mean about the therapy - that is one of the reasons I wanted to get a project - I do so much stuff that is all just in my head with no real solid concrete output (work, grad school, etc) that having something REAL to do would help. But, my wife does know best and suggested that a new fence in the backyard would do the same thing and be a better use of the cash....dang her for knowing so much;)

And, no, I don't think I'll be holding my breath on that commission...

Please keep me informed as the project moves along - where are you located?

wow surprised he bumped it up $200...should have been firm at $1,000....but if its just a smog pump needed and the other missing parts, then you are a winner. but if its more than that...you still will come ahead based on your post.

keep us informed on the progress once you pick it up. heck see if he lets you get it working and drive off instead of having it towed, if its just a matter of smog pump and the missing parts.

I'm buying this tomorrow. I agree about the $1200 mystery price bump, but decided I didn't feel like quibbling over an extra $200. Of course, if it magically goes up tomorrow, I'm done on principle alone. I can't really fault the guy - he should sell it for what the market will bear - but it isn't THAT great of a deal at $1200.

Matzell - I'd appreciate any 2F parts you want to part with as it's missing the fan, shround, pulleys, etc.

Let me know what it needs. I will be out of the country for two weeks starting this sat the 31st. I will try to check a computer if I get a chance. I will be at the swap meet on the 21st of April we are co-hosting at Iron Pig. I can bring the parts up there.

Rob

It's official. I now own a Landcruiser.

Scot - I am in PW County, not too far from the PW Nationals' ballpark. After speaking to Amir on the phone and meeting his wife and kids I have to agree with your assessment of them. Obviously we could be wrong, but I will be shocked if they were not honest in their assesment of the car. After dealing with them, I feel very comfortable with the purchase and believe I will have a running vehicle with just a couple hundred bucks and some elbow grease. BTW - I am also from CA (San Jose) myself.

Matzell - I am in no hurry on this thing. Let's try to hook up at that swap meet. I'll PM you in the future.

Thanks again.

Most Excellent!

It's official. I now own a Landcruiser.

Scot - I am in PW County, not too far from the PW Nationals' ballpark. After speaking to Amir on the phone and meeting his wife and kids I have to agree with your assessment of them. Obviously we could be wrong, but I will be shocked if they were not honest in their assesment of the car. After dealing with them, I feel very comfortable with the purchase and believe I will have a running vehicle with just a couple hundred bucks and some elbow grease. BTW - I am also from CA (San Jose) myself.

Matzell - I am in no hurry on this thing. Let's try to hook up at that swap meet. I'll PM you in the future.

Thanks again.

Wow, I am really happy for you! YES! :popcorn:

We are over in western Fairfax by Dulles Airport (I can watch them take off and land so closely I can see what Airlines they are!)

So, I am assuming that Amir got $1,200 and I'll be seeing that commission any day - right? :beer:

Please do keep me informed....

(I grew up in Long Beach, CA, moved to paradise in Southwest Colorado (Pagosa Springs) and then somehow ended up here in Northern Virginia......I have a five year plan to get back to our house in Pagosa and plan to have a TLC by then.....)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom