OME Suspension System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fourrunner

SILVER Star
Threads
Been considering doing a suspension lift and was looking at the OME systems. I would like to get at least a 3-4 inch lift and know that OME only has a 2.5" lift. Can you put on a little longer shackle without damaging the shocks? I was also wondering what the ride difference between OME and systems like Pinnacle, BDS, and others compare. Would I be dissappointed with the ride of the others compared to OME? I would use this for the occasional trail, but mostly for my DD. Any input would be appreciated. Also, if anyone knows where to get the OME systems for cheap, let me know.

I love the OME lift, I went with the Med Duty, and used SOR greasable shackles, that along with 33's raised it about 6-7" (everyone tells me it'll soften out and sink a little). I don't think that OME and cheap go together at all, especially since from what i understand prices just went up Feb 1st.
I got my OME stuff from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters (www.cruiseroutfitters.com), you might want to drop him a line and see what he can do for you.

Is this for a Cruiser or a 4Runner? Hard to tell by your post. If it is for a Cruiser, check out CCOTs Hell-for-Stout. It is supposed to have been designed specifically for a Cruiser taking ques from all of the good points of the different suspensions that came before it.

I have a MAF "Safari" lift on my 60. It has Canadian springs, and OME shackles, shocks, etc. I shoulda gone with the full OME system. I had to mess around with shims for the front to get good steering. My understanding is that the OME system is fully dialed, no messing around required.

However, in your case, since you want more lift, you may need to make some shim adjustments on the front to get good steering. 2.5" was enough for me to run 33's, which is as big as I wanted for a DD, since I didn't want to make gearing changes.

I purchased the entire OME suspension kit (medium duty). I love it. There was no messing around with the installation. Everything bolted up great. As for taking of the old stock parts, that's a different story.

I've said this before, if you plan on keeping your cruiser for a long time, spend the extra $$$ and do it right, or you'll wish you had, or you'll spend more $$ doing it over again. If your going to dump the rig in a year, go cheap, go big, and drive it into the ground :D

[quote author=lovetoski link=board=1;threadid=12798;start=msg118342#msg118342 date=1078898430]
I have a MAF "Safari" lift on my 60. It has Canadian springs, and OME shackles, shocks, etc. I shoulda gone with the full OME system. I had to mess around with shims for the front to get good steering. My understanding is that the OME system is fully dialed, no messing around required.

However, in your case, since you want more lift, you may need to make some shim adjustments on the front to get good steering. 2.5" was enough for me to run 33's, which is as big as I wanted for a DD, since I didn't want to make gearing changes.

[/quote]

Unless the OME's included Shims already attached to the springs then you must use shims to reset castor (unless you are not running extended shackles...) As an OME dealer, I know the shims are extra....so any kit with extended shackles will require "messing"

Gehn, yeah OME increases prices every July like clockwork. :D

What is the minimum lift over satock that I can get with OME? I am looking for only 1-1/2" to 2". With this height do I have to shim and extend brake lines or sway bar?

Mike S

Mike-OME will be 2.5-3 inches. I did extend my sway bar mounts in the front (easy) and extended brake lines front and rear (also easy). Don't sweat it. I did not shim the front-the steering is a bit light, but not a problem. Good ride. If you come through Sacramento, you can drive my 60 and see what you think. For less lift, you will have to go custom-don't let these guys scare you away from Alcans. Since you want to tow-get heavy duty rears what ever manufacturer you use.

[quote author=Cruiserdrew link=board=1;threadid=12798;start=msg118585#msg118585 date=1078942958]
Mike-OME will be 2.5-3 inches. I did extend my sway bar mounts in the front (easy) and extended brake lines front and rear (also easy). Don't sweat it. I did not shim the front-the steering is a bit light, but not a problem. Good ride. If you come through Sacramento, you can drive my 60 and see what you think. For less lift, you will have to go custom-don't let these guys scare you away from Alcans. Since you want to tow-get heavy duty rears what ever manufacturer you use.
[/quote]

Thanks for the offer, Andrew. I am coming to Sacto area (Dixon) this weekend to make final adjustments to the trailer. Possible we could set a time to get together??

I have not abandoned the idea of the Alcan set up - especially since I could get them to set it up with only moderate lift. I am unlikely to go bigger than the 31" MTRs that I have now any time soon, and the trailer will have the same size tires - on either the rims you gave me, or, if they do not fit, standard cruiser wheels. Still working on this issue.

Mike

Hey Mike,

We just ordered a set of Alcans for an SOA and were going to have them do a custom set for me, but I actually have a GREAT spring shop a few towns over (Donovan Spring, near Gehn when he's around) and they are re-arching and re-tempering a stock set of 62 springs...going 1" higher with an extra leaf for all the gear we carry. The springs along with a 1.5" Shackle will do the trick until we get a long term plan LOL!!

Check around and see if there are any decent spring shops in the area.

RJ

[quote author=TOZOVR link=board=1;threadid=12798;start=msg118692#msg118692 date=1078950168]
Hey Mike,

We just ordered a set of Alcans for an SOA and were going to have them do a custom set for me, but I actually have a GREAT spring shop a few towns over (Donovan Spring, near Gehn when he's around) and they are re-arching and re-tempering a stock set of 62 springs...going 1" higher with an extra leaf for all the gear we carry. The springs along with a 1.5" Shackle will do the trick until we get a long term plan LOL!!

Check around and see if there are any decent spring shops in the area.

RJ
[/quote]

Where's donovan spring located?

- FUJ

TOZOVR - that's a good thought. How long would a re-arched set last?? Seems like they would be prone to return to a 'flatter' condition due to material memory.?

Mike

[quote author=Mike S link=board=1;threadid=12798;start=msg118806#msg118806 date=1078958666]
TOZOVR - that's a good thought. How long would a re-arched set last?? Seems like they would be prone to return to a 'flatter' condition due to material memory.?

Mike
[/quote]

On the last rigs I went through leaf packs about every 2 years...different brands...I got the last set re-arched and they lasted until I sold the rig. It all comes down to what you start with and what you ask for. If you have very sagged leaves to start with, you may want to have the main leaf replaced and any others that are visibly tweaked.

For what you're looking for (1-2") it's pretty easily accomplished at any good shop. I'm getting an extra leaf put in and not asking for much more height. The ride will be stiffer but I really think the 62 packs are pretty damn beefy (the set I have are not sagged luckily).

Gehn, Donovan is in Londonderry, right off 93, Exit 5 near Poor Peoples Pub.

For me this is more of an experiment to see how the truck deals while I figure out what I want. They charge $4 a leaf for a re-arch/re-temper so, for $100, we're good for now.
RJ

RJ - My current springs are not sagging, but I am looking for a little lift for tire clearance and the sliders, and more stiffness in the rear for the tongue weight os the trailer I am getting built. I will check out this idea.

Sounds like I could re-arch and retemper, add new bushings, greasable shackles and pins, and see how it runs without spending a lot of dough.

Then I can spend it on the locker...

thanks.

Definately worth checking out.

Not for everyone.

We alos have cool poly stripe we stock between the leaves for reduced friction. I'm just hoping for a decent ride with a lil lift. The stock springs were free and the gys at Donovan are cool, so I figure it's worth a saturday of wrenching and a few months slogging around Northern Maine!!

Thanks for all the great info. I guess OME sounds like the kit for me. I don't think I want to rearch my suspension. I have an 85 FJ60 that needs some TLC as far as the suspension goes. I want to run at least 33's so I think I will go with the Medium Duty OME setup. Thanks all...more questions to follow. ;)

Question for people who bought the Medium OME setup. Did you do the Light or Heavy springs in front? From what I understand, there is no medium spring for an FJ setup, only light or heavy, and the super heavy for th diesel cruiser.

I've heard it mentioned that the light front springs wear out pretty quickly. The Mudrak www.mudrak.com guy seems to think the Heavy front, Medium rear setup is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom