Mini/FJ60 front disks for a FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

H

Hodag

???In roughly a month I will be the proud owner of a 73' FJ55. It of course still has 4 drums. It will be my daily driver. I'd like to do the mini front brake conversion, and maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but the tech forum doesnt seem to have a complete how-to. I plan to pick up the parts for it at Cruiser Outfitters when I go to Utah to pick up the 55. Can anybody help, or point me in the right direction. I guess thats it. Thanks for any help, Hodag :beer:

Its basically the same as a standard front axle rebuild, only you install the minitruck parts instead of the old cruiser parts, and you must clearance the inside of the axle a little.
There are several writeups in the tech section under Disk Brakes :doh:
Kurt should have all the gaskets and bearings you need, but you will have to source out the knuckles themselves somewhere else. I posted in Want Ads here and had what I needed within a week or two.
Late model (79+) cruiser knuckles will work the same as the minitruck with all the added benefits plus better rotors (vented not solid).

Your Land Cruiser tie rod ends will not tighten up properly in the tapers for the minitruck arms, or the 60 series arms so, you will need to locate the little taper-spacer that some use, or, find a set of late model 40 arms that someone does not want, at least that has been my experience with the mini and 60 series brake swap..

You will also want to use the vented Land Cruiser Rotor instead of the solid mini rotor, and fyi the calipers are different...

Good luck!

-Steve

any conversion done on a 40-series is identical on a 55-series....exactlee identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom