New Shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey whats up. Im about to buy some new shocks for my truck and was seein if any of yall had any suggestions on different brands or anything like that. Im looking for a softer ride because what i have now is insanely to hard. I cant even play cd's because all they do is skip.Any sugggestions would be very appreciative.

I've run most of the popular brands, and for the first time just put OME (Old Man Emu) on my DD. I went with the light duty and could'nt be happier, they are a little more $$ but worth it!

OME and Bilstein are at the top of the favorites. Also Doestch Tech (spelling?) shocks have gotten good reviews although I've never personally had any. I think Downey sells them. Part of your stiffness though could be your lift if you have a cheaper aftermarket suspension. I had a procomp lift on my 80 a few years ago and there wasn't a shock on the planet that could have saved those rear springs.

I have an '88 4runner with Bilstein 5100 all the way around and it feels good on the highway. I drive like an idiot of road too and these are hard to fade.

thanks for the input guys...im gonna keep looking a little longer

gotta say, I'm a little disapointed in this thread making the FAQ section. Especially calling it a "discussion on shocks". Since when does 5 posts, 2 of which are the question and a thank you, make up a discussion? I realize there's no point in complaining if I'm not willing to do something about it. So, since I'm doing research for some shock lengths and valving, when I get some decent references or figures, I'll post them up. If anyone else happens to have some real info on shocks (i.e charts, graphs, figures, stats, webpage links) rather than what they thought were "good", please post them up here so we can actually turn this into a "discussion" on shocks!

Here's an opener full of info about shocks. A little remedial, but informative for many I'm sure.

http://www.monroe.com/tech_support/tec_shockabsorbers.asp

Last edited:
Thanks for the link.... I was hoping this thread would turn into a bit more than it did. This side of Mud is pretty small, you have to start somewhere, ya know?.... Would you have been more pleased if you found nothing on shocks in the FAQ? :D Hehe

pro comp has an mx6 shock that is adjustable so you can tune your ride. rancho has some too i believe. they are both kinda spendy though. if you want to go cheap get some responce shocks from napa. ive found alot of the cheaper shocks are soft. also the monroe sensatrac, it has a zone inside the shock that allows the shock to be soft in normal driving conditions and it stiffins up if the body roles or you have a lode on. they only work right on a stock hight truck though. good luck

I need to replace my busted shocks however when buying new ones to replace these how do I measure?
My shocks are not oem on my 84 mini.
I assume you measure the stroke?

What i did was take my old (stock) shocks to the parts store and they took all the measurements. What I needed was the same shock, only 1 1/2 to 2 inches longer, because I put in the ball joint spacers. So far I have not found what i need, but the parts store say they have a Skyjacker H7052 that should work.

I'll pick them up tonight and report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom