Roof Rack Mounts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know that several roof rack companies sell their own mounts for their racks and that the general concensus is that Quick & Easy makes a really great product, but what has been your experience with Thule mounts? How much weight or what have you thrown on them? (I know that I could probably go to their website and look up the numbers, but I want real world anwsers...)

Thanks,

Blue 60

The Thule rack systems are quite strong. I have a sort of fondness for the Quick 'n Easy, since I have owned and used them for many years, but Thule is what we usually recommend to our customers.

Mike

Well I sell Thule, Yakima, and Q&E.

Racks are a big part of my buisness and I am often overloading my persnal ones. In the rain gutter mount systems the Thule is the best.

I have had problems with the Q&E because the gutter clip is not thick enough and over time deforms and comes loose.

The yakima tower is injection molded so it is sensative to U.V. and over time gets britle. ( have broke 3 towers myself) I no longer stock the 1A tower set because it is crap and I do not want the liability of a failed rack with a customer.

Thule's rain gutter system is steel. It does not suffer from either the deforming problem of the thin aluminum clip on the Q&E nor does it get bothered by U.V. This is now the only guter mount I sell in my shop.

I guess if you plan on keeping the Yakima's in the garage when not in use, or plan to only use them light duty occasionally then yakima or Q&E would be ok. If you want a reliable gutter mount rack for you rig that you can leave on all the time get the Thule.

These are just the honest observations of a dealer for all 3 brands who has driven hundreds of thousands of miles hauling gear with all 3 systems. Both on and offroad. I have persoanlly outfitted well over 1500 racks on just about anything you could imagine from VW beetles to motor homes.

Off road unlimited carries what use to be the Confer bull dog clamps. I have a set of six, and they seem real sturdy and well made. I am trying to decide to either build my own roof rack or to pick up one of the INTI racks. So if I do purchase the INTI rack, I may have a set of bull dog clamps for sale if you are interested.

I have 8 Buldog clamps on my rack and this is what happened to 4 of them with 4 jerry cans and 2 20 mm ammo cans spread accross the rear. They are supposed to be at a 90 degree angle. If I had it to do over I would get Spectors mounts. They are better made and I have had no problems with them on my other rack way over loaded. JMTC.

Last edited:
Ouch:eek: those look different than the ones which I have. Sorry to see that you did not have good luck with the bull dog clamps Photogod. I might have to return them to ORU. You know the INTI rack is looking better and better.

Thanks for the input. I have a set of 4 (300 series) Thule Mounts on the way via ebay for $31. They are used but in great shape. They only ever carried a couple bikes.... I'm keeping my eyes open for 4 more.

Blue 60

nullifier said:
...The yakima tower is injection molded so it is sensative to U.V. and over time gets britle. ( have broke 3 towers myself) I no longer stock the 1A tower set because it is crap and I do not want the liability of a failed rack with a customer.

Thule's rain gutter system is steel. It does not suffer from either the deforming problem of the thin aluminum clip on the Q&E nor does it get bothered by U.V. This is now the only guter mount I sell in my shop.

I guess if you plan on keeping the Yakima's in the garage when not in use, or plan to only use them light duty occasionally then yakima or Q&E would be ok. If you want a reliable gutter mount rack for you rig that you can leave on all the time get the Thule.

Where do you live that you're getting that much UV exposure to your Yak's? I've had Yakima's on for nearly 10 years out in the AZ sun with no detrimental effects. Also worked in a bike shop and never heard of that either. What part of the tower have you broken? The structural part? or the thin walled cosmetic piece around the knob? Just curious, since I've used Yakima stuff for close to 16 years now in UT and AZ, and been pretty happy with it.

impressive

SO the Thule mounts came..... Wow, bigger and more robust than I thought they would be. So here's my next question. If you dont use the Thule crossbars, what do you use and how have you all attached them. The inside measruement is an odd size (1 1/4"wide X 7/8" tall).

Thanks for all the input,

Blue 60

Draging up an older thread, But in you opinion do you think the Thule 300 series would be a good setup for an 80 series? Im not sure if I should look for the same series or a different one, I have removed the factory roof rack on our FZJ80 and would like something fairly low profile. If you could give me a measurement or something, That would be great, Im trying to find a decent rack for the CTT.
Thanks

EDIT, Never mind I see the differance.
Thanks for your time :)

I run the Thule 300 mounts and have no problems with them..they are low profile and am still able to clear the roof. I did remove the factory rack, so interference with that isn't an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom