HD 9.5" differential (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Two pinion gears, one FZJ80 4.10 1.1" 27 spline, the other is a 3.90 from a 07< Tundra 9.5", measures 1.28" with 32 splines. Axle shafts are 32 spline and measure 1.35". I'm assuming they are the same as the 100 and 200 series cruiser, but those are published as 32 spline 1.37"....? The chunk bolts into the FZJ80 housing. This could lead into a nice option for those that wish to keep a 9.5" Toyota axle under their truck....The RD64 ARB should fit this... Now all that is needed is lower gears.... :D

9.5piion.jpg

pretty interesting......is this 3rd from the first gen of tundra's? is it a full floater axle? i was thinking that the rear axles in 2nd gen. tundras have a 10.5 ring gear and 35 spline shafts?

which is the tundra axle wide number . .? much more wide than a 80 series axle .. ?

P.S. where to see a Tundra 5.7 SC thread .. ?

RD64? I didn't see that in the ARB application guide. A HD 9.5" would be awesome. a D60 is only 9.75".

I did some cross referenceing on toyodiy.com but didn't quickly come to a conclusion as to how to make one of these diffs work on a pre '90 LC

I'm not worried about ring gear thickness, at least not until failure by ring deflection isn't swamped by pinions shanks snapping.

is this a true statement? can a tundra third be bolted in an 80 or 100 housing?

if they can be bolted into an 80, then why not a 60?

if they can be bolted into an 80, then why not a 60?

That's exactly the question. If we can upgrade the weak point in LC diffs, then we can find out what the next weak point is, or if the diff is now not a weak point in the chain (assuming Longfields).

Brian, if you'd like to try mussing parts around, I'd love to muss with you, or at least keep you company.

tundra rear

The tundra 9.5 rear is the same as 200 rear and 100/105 rear. Yes the 3RD MEMBER will bolt in any 9.5, fj40, fj60, fj80 etc, but the 97 & older are 30 spline axles. Also the TLC100-488-NG gears we have now will fit any of these.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

A couple questions;

Yes the carrier will bolt in any 9.5...

by "carrier" do you mean the diff housing, and not what the ring gear bolts to and houses the spider/side gears?

but the 97 & older are 30 spline axles.

Do you know of any parts interchange that will allow you to run 30 spline axles ont of a 9.5 Tundra/100 diff, or as far as you know, if you want to run a DH 9.5" diff in a LC housing, you need to have custom axleshafts made?

Thanks

Do you know of any parts interchange that will allow you to run 30 spline axles ont of a 9.5 Tundra/100 diff, or as far as you know, if you want to run a DH 9.5" diff in a LC housing, you need to have custom axleshafts made?

Thanks

Maybe if your going to run an arb you could order one for a 100 with the side gears from an 80 series...

You'd still be stuck with 27 spline axles though but it might be a cheaper option

locker

Actually an 80 has 30 spline axles. Also the side gear hub diameter is smaller on the 80 locker than the 100 locker so it will not work.

Maybe if your going to run an arb you could order one for a 100 with the side gears from an 80 series...

You'd still be stuck with 27 spline axles though but it might be a cheaper option

carrier

actually the 3rd member. The carrier that the ring gear bolts to has a completely different pattern, pilot, and offset

Thanks for your reply.

A couple questions;

by "carrier" do you mean the diff housing, and not what the ring gear bolts to and houses the spider/side gears?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom