modded fliped rear 60 springs, front and rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i've been in a long process of this mod on my 69/40
the plan has been to use the to 2 military wrap springs off two sets of rear 60 springs and mod them with some lifted 40 springs.
throw some 60 axles under the 40,and add disc brakes to the rear axle.
scout power steering is in the plan also.

i'll try to keep the thread posted as i get opportunities to work on it.
hoping to have it all done by april (a deadline to get the 40 out of the garage, for reasons i won't disclose right now) ;)

i have the rear springs in and the rear axle in. i have changed the shackle angle from the first time i mounted them. i'm happy with the second mounting and the shackle angle. (hope i can get it out of the garage) :eek:

as for the front.
i have all the stock hangers removed as of tonight.
the front axle has been together for some time now. it's just been waiting for its new home :D
next will be outboarding the new Ruffstuff hangers.

just a few pics :D
DSC02349.JPG
DSC02350.JPG
DSC02348.JPG

a little midnight madness ;)

so in the middle of the night i get to work on the 40.
welded the hangers to plates the other day.
tried to set up the right side as best i could.
measured to 60 axle to get "center" 29.5" pin 2 pin.
so this is the spec i'm working off of as far as centering the hangers.

as far as the rear pivot hanger, it is about as close to the stock location as possable.
the front mount is moved forward to the front edge of the bumper.

i will only tack these up to see how everything sits once the axle is in and the weight of the 40 rests on the springs. (ride heigth and shackle angle)
only then will i finish welding everything up.

i'm hoping the front will be just a tad higher than the rear. this is why i used a 4" pack in the front and a 2.5" pack in the rear.

i also started removing the steering box before i start on the drivers side.

one step closer i guess :steer:
DSC02363.JPG
DSC02364.JPG
DSC02365.JPG

Looks very good. Wise choice to keep the shackles up front. I wish I had done that. Nice welds too.

Those rear tires went waaay back. That rig should be great in the rocks.

?Ruff Stuff bits??

Just personal opinion, but after a year of use, beefed up 60 series springs are the way to go for FJ40 suspension. You will also enjoy the wider track with the FJ60 axles.

What are you doing for high steer?

Nice build. Looking forward to the outcome.

Hi All:

Looking good! Your project is great!

I just did a 60 Series rear spring swap on my FJ40 (SUA, using OMEs.) Currently getting the rear drive shaft lengthened, and awaiting some longer shackle side plates from Marlin Crawler (the shackles I used were not long enough.)

How do you plan to mount the shocks in the rear?

Regards,

Alan

Q:Lookin Good Bud!
thanks trevor :)

Q: Drew, Looks very good. Wise choice to keep the shackles up front. I wish I had done that. Nice welds too.

Those rear tires went waaay back. That rig should be great in the rocks.

and if my fronts had been flipped :doh: i'd have the same outcome.

?Ruff Stuff bits??

yes sir!

Just personal opinion, but after a year of use, beefed up 60 series springs are the way to go for FJ40 suspension. You will also enjoy the wider track with the FJ60 axles.

What are you doing for high steer?

no hi-steer. keeping it SUA :D

Nice build. Looking forward to the outcome.

me2.

Q: jose, How do you plan to mount the shocks in the rear?

don't know yet but i'm sure i can make something work ;)
i'll probably make a new x-member for sure. i'm gonna need it anyway to attach a limit strap for the axle.

Looks good. Those Ruff Stuff brackets look nice. That is the next progression of my front end. I hate the SR on mine, and I am going to redo it just like yours. May or may not go with the 60 axles and springs. Depends on if I can get a donation of those bits in the next year. The outboarding doesn't look as hard as I thought.

Jeremy

PS- I would check your shackle angle with the weight on the springs before you burn those brackets in. May need to move forward or backward a little to get good ride and flex. ;)

Jeremy

PS- I would check your shackle angle with the weight on the springs before you burn those brackets in. May need to move forward or backward a little to get good ride and flex. ;)

Jeremy

thanks, i've done that.
i used a floor jack to compress the spring untill the 40 came off the jack-stand.
it looks just about right, i'll shoot a pic this weekend.
hoping to get the axle under it tomorrow or tonight :D

full weight of the 40 is now on all fours :D

i have 103" wheel-base and some pretty good shackle angles.

thanks to 84cruiser for helping me move the axle under the front :beer::beer:

i could actually stand on the front bumper and bounce the snot out of the front end (without shocks);)
the shackles never let the springs lock forward.
DSC02427.JPG
DSC02430.JPG

Hi All:

"2badfjs," you say your rig now has a 103 inch wheelbase. Can you explain how you gained that extra 13 inches?

With the 60 Series rear springs, I can see you gaining four inches in the rear, but nine inches in front?

No disrespect intended - just very interested in the build you have done on your rig!

Thanks!

Alan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
<snip>

Hi All:

"2badfjs," you say your rig now has a 103 inch wheelbase. Can you explain how you gained that extra 13 inches?

With the 60 Series rear springs, I can see you gaining four inches in the rear, but nine inches in front?

No disrespect intended - just very interested in the build you have done on your rig!

Thanks!

Alan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
<snip>

103" is right!
i'll measure the distance from the bumpstops to the axles to get the difference.
using rear 60 springs at both ends might have something to do with it.
both front and rear shackle hangers are at the very ends of the frame.

still trying to get the manual steering box out. what a pain, i'll borrow a steering wheel puller on monday.

left front fender is off for the scout p/s set up :D

getting close!! :steer::bounce:

I thought this was just an ornament to mock up for parts. You intend to drive this beast one day:confused:

Lookin good jim:grinpimp: Time for a :beer:

I thought this was just an ornament to mock up for parts. You intend to drive this beast one day:confused:

i'm hoping sooner than later.
its' only been about 1.5 years since it went under the knife.

Lookin good jim:grinpimp: Time for a :beer:

or :beer::beer:

Based on the second picture in Post #1, you need a taller garage or you are not going to get it out of there.

nope, we measured.
with the soft top down and the garage door pushed up, it will just clear the roll bar by .000000001111 mm :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom