Montana IronPig Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ironpig Montana POTM

Ok guys/gals

I have been pretty lazy about posting pics of the work I have been doing on my pig the past few months but tonight I decided to post a build thread. I will do my best to put as much detail but as we all know pics speak louder. So here it goes

#1 What she looked like when I brought her home
#2/3 The first mod I did was disc brakes, for the life of me I couldn't get the drums to bleed so i just went for it.
DSC02734.jpg
DSC02820.jpg
DSC02844.jpg

Last edited:
cont.

So i may have gotten ahead of myself but I think the disc brake thing happened about the same time I started to find all the rust. Yes I was crazy enough to believe that the floorpans were good so everything else should be. Not so much but all in all not that bad really. Lots of silicone that had been painted over oh and yeah the crutches were a sweet addition to the roof supports.
DSC02790.jpg
DSC02888.jpg
DSC02887.jpg

Here are a couple more pics
#1 I got some new Tires for it
#2 I took it out on the trials with a few buddies and their 40's before Winter to at least get to drive her once before I tore her apart.

Will continue the story as I have time... thanks for watchin'! :D
DSC02892.jpg
P8160048.jpg

First off. I'm from Montana. I was born and raised in plains Montana. I lived there for 18 years. My family owned and operated 3 weekly newspapers there. I'm a big fan of western Montana. So you get a whole bunch of "you're pretty awesome" points right off the bat. But you may have lost a few of those points from that silly picture with your two friends in front of your cruisers. Maybe you boys should put together some sort of calendar and you can call it Montana boys! :doh:

By the way I have disced rear out of my 75 sitting on the floor of my shop. Want it?

I will be watching your build for sure! I'm looking forward to it. I still go up to Montana to visit my grandma in the summers I will try to bring my dumb pig and if you want some of my hand me down parts I can deliver!

Jake:cheers::popcorn:

Jake,

Haha yeah we all thought that pic was pretty funny. A calender would be sweet! j/k I wish I could grab that 55 rear but no funds at the moment. I am trying like mad just to get her roadworthy again. But as goes your visit, let me know I love meeting fellow cruiser junkies.

Here are some more pics of the build
#1 This is when I gave her a new coat of paint, I kind of got ahead of myself but at the time I didn't really have any welding skills so I thought at least it would be nicer.
#2 This is a rack that I built for the pig in a welding class I decided to take so I could do the pig right.
#3 The paint is dry and the rack done.

Then the wife and I moved, and that is where the real fun starts.
DSC02991.jpg
DSC02993.jpg
DSC02996.jpg

Just a suggestion. You need to move your shiny new roofrack so the mounts for it are over the D and C pillars. The drip rail is stronger at those points.
What exactly are you working on to get her back the road? I think you should post a pic of the interior. I want to see what that looks like? Do you intend to stay straight 6? What are your build plans. Do you run it off road alot? Does it have stock gearing still? Need more details guy.
Jake

I hear ya on the roofrack, I actually am going to add two more supports and yeah it should definitely be more centered over the supports.

As goes details. I have had her in my garage to do all the rust repair, it took longer than I wanted but it is now done. Pics below. She is actually road worthy now I just need to put everything back together. My intended use is an expedition rig. Something I can take on trails but also run on the street, if I want to. I think it is getting there. To be honest I was back and forth on the intended use. I was working so much on it I started thinking I was restoring it. That kind of put me back as I stared doing things I didn't need to. The solution to this though was finding more and more bondo, ha. That got me focused on building what I wanted and I'm glad for it. I am making her look good but not going crazy anymore about it.

So far I am staying straight six, unless I find a diesel. Everything driveline wise is still stock, although it has a weber and header. From what I can tell the PO did something to the engine. The thing has some serious guts. Not sure if you can hot rod one of these but I can blow my other buddies F engine out of the water.

Pics are of the interior stripped and sandblasted, getting ready for rust repair.
DSC03150.jpg
DSC03152.jpg
DSC03153.jpg

Here are a few more pics of the sandblasting and rust repair. They look out of order but you get the drift. :D
DSC03177.jpg
DSC03199.jpg
DSC03167.jpg

I also did powersteering, this is the scout power steering box. The pics show the frame reinforcement, not fully welded in yet just tacked, and the box installed with fender trimmed. Kinda looks like a hack job on that fender trim but I have since cleaned that up. :p

Also I will have to get a pic of my homemade saginaw bracket, for some reason I can't find that pic.
DSC02826.jpg
DSC02843.jpg

The next set of pics are of the KBS coating rust sealer that I got. I did alot of reading on it and decided to go this route. In restrospect I think I rushed it but I didn't know it until after it was done. It has a few bubbles in the coating but nothing bad, apparently that happens if you recoat to quickly. Also just a side note. If anyone is thinking of using this stuff, it is great but don't get it on anything but the metal you want to treat. This stuff is hell to clean up and won't come off paint at all. Had to sandblast the exterior where I got drips... random.

pic#1 The phosphate coating
pic#2 Right after I brushed it on
pic#3 The day after, looks pretty nice.
DSC03235.jpg
DSC03237.jpg
DSC03240.jpg

a few more
DSC03421.jpg
DSC03428.jpg
DSC03487.jpg

Carm---love that last shot--very cool:cool:

Thanks Dave... yeah that was a cool day. We had this strange storm that made everything an odd yellow.

Hey Tucker... that is exactly what I did. If I had a safe... j/k but they are in a tuperware container in my garage.

How come you get a sticky?

Its for the pig of the month, I'm not cool enough to have a sticky = )

FANTASTIC

Great lookin Pig. Your doing a fantastic job with her too. I just added a second pig and even though her floors look brand new (inside and out) I was thinking about a coat of Rust Bullet on them. Then I was going to cover everything with Dyna Mat to try and quiet her down some. I'm keeping the original 6 power too I think. Your really doing great work - I only hope my new gal will look as good as yours some day.

I lived and worked In Montana for a year back in the mid 70s. Fantastic place to live and play. Love the west side of the state. Lucky guy to be there.

Thanks for the post - really doing a great job! Great looking Pig!

:cheers: :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom