Canuck RHD Insurance Tactics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is getting ridiculous in Canada with insurance companies denying insurance renewals or pushing the premiums so high that it is pretty much impossible for the RHD owner to insure their vehicle(s). There have been reports of problems in Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario and now most recently Nova Scotia (https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/486845-12ht-into-what-vehicle.html). Sometimes our greatest clout comes from our wallets and not our words. Therefore, I've come up with two tatcics which might give us RHD owners and anybody who doesn't like being pushed around by big business have a say in the matter. Have a look at the tactics outlined in the two threads linked below. If you can, give me some feed-back and also post up information in the Black list if you have it.

Insurance Tactic 1 - IVOAC.ca Forums

RHD Insurance Company Black List- Insurance Tactic 2 - IVOAC.ca Forums

I feel lucky because my Insurance Company offered me the same price for RHD - LHD. I recently bought a RHD HDJ81 and got a quote before I purchased (Thanks Wayne). Once I gave them the VIN # they figured out it was a RHD. Now I only wanted PLPD (the minimum legal) so the quote didn't change from 55$ a month. I am scared to change anything with my policy as they may take a second look at it. I am in a job that I may move to a different Province anytime, but because I have been with the same insurance company for 24years I hope I will not get screwed. I am with the Personal Insurance Company of Canada.

ICBC hasnt raised my premiums at all. Same as with my F250, or close anyway.

... Not Yet. :skull: ICBC has now been more closely tracking RHDs since IVOAC showed there "study" was at best fudged. Those who have access to ICBC's auctions know that ICBC is quietly writing off RHDs which have very little damage.

My bet is they will use this to try to statistically say that RHDs are written off more frequently than LHDs and they are more costly to insure then LHDs. Therefore, we must a) ban them because they are just too dangerous or b) substantially increase the premiums because they are costing too much in pay-outs. I don't think it is coincidence that ICBC does not allow the RHDs bought at auction to be rebuilt while it allows it for LHDs.

If it works with RHDs, it is not a big leap for them to take it a step further and use it to enforce a 10 year fleet replacement. Got to keep their fiends at CADA happy, no?

Been lucky so far in Quebec with td insurance (meloche monnex) for my hdj81. Get a few stares from cops (jealous?) but that's about it. Keep up your efforts, I'll support as much as I can.

Been lucky so far in Quebec with td insurance (meloche monnex) for my hdj81. Get a few stares from cops (jealous?) but that's about it. Keep up your efforts, I'll support as much as I can.

I'll be in Montreal tomorrow for a week for work meetings. Also plan on meeting up with Domspun to see how the prep on the court case there is proceeding and to give him some donation money.

I recently bought a RHD and my insurance company charges me the same as a LHD, I'm with Aviva. A friend of mine has had a RHD with them for years and has had no issues what so ever.

Keep up the good work, John.

Well ive had the 81 insured here for the past 5 years and the only problem i have had was when i first insured the vehicle the vin # was one digit short compared to N.A vehicles. Other than that its been fine and cheap i just insured it for around
820$ for the year. Im not trying to rub the $$ sign in but, I'm shocked on how inconsistent the rates are across the frozen tundra. BS good luck to all that are having issues and i hope things will be resolved for the good.:steer:

I recently bought a RHD and my insurance company charges me the same as a LHD, I'm with Aviva. A friend of mine has had a RHD with them for years and has had no issues what so ever.

I'll put them on my good-guy list. I see they also offer fleet insurance for clubs and such. :idea:

Keep up the good work, John.

Thank you everyone for their support, information and ideas. It makes it much easier for us to do the work.

I have had no problems with State Farm Insurance as far as getting insurance on 2 different RHD vehicles in the past 6 years. But with the age of vehicles they don't value it very high and want to write off if anything is damaged. I was able to fight to keep my HJ-61 but they did want to write off when the bumper was damaged! Said its only worth about $2600 LOL!

I have had no problems with State Farm Insurance as far as getting insurance on 2 different RHD vehicles in the past 6 years. But with the age of vehicles they don't value it very high and want to write off if anything is damaged. I was able to fight to keep my HJ-61 but they did want to write off when the bumper was damaged! Said its only worth about $2600 LOL!

That is why it is important in some cases to protect yourself with having the value assessed by an independent professional. I had asked ICBC about this and they said it would make no difference. They would go by advertised selling values in the last 6 months. Not a problem with a Land Cruiser, Delica, Pajeo, Skyline, etc. But it is more of a problem with some of the rarer JDMs.

TD Meloche Monnex was my previous carrier that insured me and they no longer will insure me with RHD. I had let my premium's expire with them (vehicle off road for a while).

It may be that if you currently are getting a good deal on RHD insurance that you are 'grandfathered in'. The high cost policy is probably applicable to all new applicants with RHD.

My 2 cents. I am curious as to why RHD policies are being jacked or denied. Is there proof that accidents and claims are a lot higher with RHD?

Ben, that particular company (which insures me) does the same thing with 30 year and older motorcycles as well. I suspect that the actuarial studies show that the cost of the policy is not meeting the rate of return they want to see. The group of policy holders is so small that their business or should I say denial of service is too small to be a negative to the rest of the business. RHD vehicles are a miniscule market that is not worth the aggravation to these companies. Where are the insurance statistics to determine rates as well as the parts supplies needed to restore these vehicles when they are involved in accidents? Most companies on older vehicles now use salvage components to keep the cost of repairs in line with vehicle value. You can be sure that if 15% of the vehicles on the road were RHD then the companies would have a special coroner carved out for them. Yes, if you keep the policy active they will continue to cover you annually even though you fall outside the parameter of new policy acceptance. Most companies do this out of good will to their most faithful customers. I am not defending them but we do have to be realistic about what we expect from these companies. Unlike government insurance, which I would endorse in Ontario, private insurance is there to make money.

We know for a fact that killing gray imports (mainly RHDs) has been a high priority of the CCMTA for a while now - at least since 2006. <At the same time we also know they also are working towards a 10 year fleet renewal pushed by the auto makers and CADA.> All the insurers across Canada are members of the CCMTA. If you cannot impose elimination of RHDs through legislation, then make the insurance impossible to get or afford.

Doug384, while what you propose as their reasoing seems to make sense, we know that this is not the issue with RHD insurance problems. There have been various models, like the Chrysler TC by Meserati, of vehicles that only came out for a couple years which they continue to insure and are in fewer numbers in Canada than some RHD models. Anyone can get their vehcile appraised for its true value verses it book value. People do this all the time. Also, try finding parts for some of these NA sold models. I tried finding a master cylinder/brake pump for the Chrysler TC for a firend. There are only two small sources - both in the USA. Many RHDs have numerous parts sources, including the dealers. Yet, the insurer has no problem insuring the Chrysler TC at its true value but will make it difficult or impossible to insure a RHD. WTH?. Funny thing is the Chrysler TC is just a year older than my 1991 RHD.

While I certainly would agree with you that there is a move afoot by the industry to slow down the imports, I still have to bring back the example of my stock, unmodified, 34 year old BMW motorcycle imported legally to this country at the time of manufacture, sold through a dealer network, which almost all insurers just want to say no to. Why?

The recent slagging of Toyota new models by the American and to a lesser extent the Canadian media as being unsafe had more to do with anti import fever than any reality but it sure got press. What do you do when your own industry is hurting? Well you try to hurt someone else that seems to be doing better. The so called gray import is a thorn in the side of the domestic sellers. If you were Toyota or any other for that matter can you imagine how much simpler your life would be if you didn't have to even order a special RHD part, I can't imagine what!, for that customer who rolled in once in a blue moon? Try going into your Ford dealer to ask for parts for an Australian Ford. Or better still, go into your Chrysler dealer to ask for Renault parts. I got caught in that debacle 30 years ago when Chrysler took over Renault and they were the official marketer of Renault in North America.

There will always be a high cost specialty option like the insurance that the modified car folks have to rely on. I know that sadly this does not address joe average RHD driver needs but as long as coverage is available in the pool out there there will be companies that feel that their customers are expendable to the god of expediency.

I feel bad for those of you RHD owners outside of BC. We may pay more for icbc but atleast they dont raise premiums for rhd drive owners. Ive had a pajero and a hilux and they were both cheap to insure no questions asked.

Well ive had the 81 insured here for the past 5 years and the only problem i have had was when i first insured the vehicle the vin # was one digit short compared to N.A vehicles. Other than that its been fine and cheap i just insured it for around
820$ for the year. Im not trying to rub the $$ sign in but, I'm shocked on how inconsistent the rates are across the frozen tundra. BS good luck to all that are having issues and i hope things will be resolved for the good.:steer:

Keep in mind that here in Manitoba, we have no choice for auto insurance. There is no shopping around. You can only register and insure through Manitoba Public Insurance.

My experience insuring my 81 was about the same - the VIN threw them for a bit, but they eventually registered it. Price is very fair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom