HJ-61 intercooling thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
howdy.

well, I bought me a intercooler today, went the front mounted air to air route.

and here it is :
45285.jpg

and a few pics of my mounting exercises :D

45304.jpg

got the front stripped.

45305.jpg

a bit on the larger side.

45306.jpg

I´ll be cutting the oval holes on either side of the intercooler to fit the pipes.

45307.jpg

made a bracket from a 50x50mm L iron.

45308.jpg

need just 1 inch to make the grille snap into place.

45309.jpg

was thinking about bending the wall in so I can mount it a bit near the radiator, that or cut 1 inch from the grille...

well that´s it for now, anything I should do diffrent? :)

Nice work. Will your radiator stay cool enough? I guess Iceland is different , I wouldn't be able to do that here in summer.;)

How much more power do you expect?

well I am a bit concerned about blocking the radiator like that but I´ll just have to cross that bridge when I come to it :)

would probably fill the fan clutch with sikaflex so it´ll pull in more air, did that on my 3L hilux that had heating problems.

don´t know about power increases but I´m hoping to get maybe 10-20% more HP and torque.

well If I can´t get the stock grille to work I might look into using aluminium mesh grille, but belive I can shim the stock one to fit, I´ll jsut have to work up the courage to go at it with a sander :D

the pipes won´t be much of a problem I think, I´ll just have to relocate the black canister on the driver´s side (vacum resevoir?) a little and make an elbow for the intake.

the pipes will come into the engine room under the batteries and up to the motor on each side.

I´ll post pics as I go along.

Here coul be a problem to me front intercooler ( due to our hot weather)

Do you have any overheating problems at the moment?

Looks good.

I just finished an intercooler build on my 12ht powered Troopie and it really works. I guess that the horse power improved with 10 to 15% and torque with 15 to 20%.
I did a test run last sunday. 15 minutes at 100MPH (which is downright scary btw). It raised the engine temp just a little but the biggest surprise was that the cool side of the intercooler was actually cold, not even close to warm. Not bad for a $75 ebay intercooler. When money permits i'll have it dyno'd and get you the results.

I'm off to Germany this weekend to do some low flying on the Autobahn and offroading.

i bet you left finger impressions in the steering wheel after driving a troopy at 100mph for 15 mins,thats gotta be some kind of world record.
cheers goldchaser

i bet you left finger impressions in the steering wheel after driving a troopy at 100mph for 15 mins,thats gotta be some kind of world record.
cheers goldchaser

Actually, i was afraid because eventhough i got 4 wheel diskbrakes, i know the brakes are not up to the task to slow the Cruiser down fast enough in an emergancy. The speed itself was doable, no shakes at all and i was still steering one handed. But the noise....:eek:

None the less. Nothing any one should do on a daily basis. It was just a test with:smokin:results.

Cheers,
Mark

Do you have any overheating problems at the moment?

No and yes ..

No coz usually off road or city driving means no problems at all with no more ( never even with AC on ) than 1/4 temp gauge .

Yes, when I'm pushing it hard ( means 14 PSI ) in the HW for more than 20 - 30 min it raise in the gauge up to middle .. that not really meand " overheating " as is .. more it's not usual.

I have top mounted intercooler and huge hood scoop but I was reading about the hood scoop efect in the air circulation throught the rad .. but right now I'm not sure If I have a real problem.

took a big part of today to finish the "intercooling" :)

first I had to make an 180 degree bend to the intake, used 2 1/2" stainless steel pipes, Tig welded 2 elbows together, I´ll let the pics do the rest of the talking :)

45323.jpg

45324.jpg

45325.jpg

that one was actually not that hard to make, had a bending machine to aid me so it was quick work, the stainless steel pipe didn´t bend all that well, but hey it looks ok.

45326.jpg

the monster in front.

45327.jpg

passenger side.

45328.jpg

45329.jpg

45330.jpg

it actually looks good without the grille :grinpimp:

performance vise it goes like crap now :p wen I floor it I hear the turbo spool up but it´s followed by a hissing sound so it´s blowing out air somewhere on the way.

the thing is, the boost gauge shows boost, 10 psi, but it´s connected to the wastegate line, will it show boost if it´s blowing out?

anyways, hope to find the leak tomorrow.

another thing, there was a small hose connected to the aluminium piece from turbo to engine, isn´t that just for the factory turbo light? I just blocked it.

another thing, there was a small hose connected to the aluminium piece from turbo to engine, isn´t that just for the factory turbo light? I just blocked it.

I thought yes ..

Your setup looks incredible clean .. congrats.

Your setup looks incredible clean .. congrats.

thank you very much :)

I went through all the hose clamps and stuff and didn´t find any leaks, (sounds like it´s comming from the turbo it self, at least on that side of the engine bay)

Can the hose that connected to the intake limit the boost somehow?

I can feel a little power surge when it´s building up boost to about 3 psi then the hissing sound begins and it´s just blowing air into, well, the air :p

well anywho I´ll weld something to the intake bend to connect it again on tuesday, just wanted to know beforehand if this indeed could be the problem.

thank you very much :)

I went through all the hose clamps and stuff and didn´t find any leaks, (sounds like it´s comming from the turbo it self, at least on that side of the engine bay)

Can the hose that connected to the intake limit the boost somehow?

I can feel a little power surge when it´s building up boost to about 3 psi then the hissing sound begins and it´s just blowing air into, well, the air :p

Some intercooler systems just sound like they've got a boost leak, even when they haven't. The 100series 1HD-FTE sure does.

This is actually an important hose. It feeds pressure to the injection pump so it will increase fuel delivery on boost. Without it you´ll end up with a direct injected 2H with a useless turbo and intercooler. Connect that hose and you´ll see a big improvement in power.

HTH,

Mark

help?

This is actually an important hose. It feeds pressure to the injection pump so it will increase fuel delivery on boost. Without it you´ll end up with a direct injected 2H with a useless turbo and intercooler. Connect that hose and you´ll see a big improvement in power.
had to be :p

well I connected the hose, some power increase and the hissing sound stopped :bounce:

anywho, seeing as I had a working engine I couldn´t let it be, turned up the fuel 2 circles CCW (EGT didn´t go up so I´m wondering if this is the right turning direction?) pumped the boost to 10 psi, no problem, then I turned the boost up some more and when it hit 14 psi I heard a bang from the engine, like a hose blowing, and lost power, so after soiling my self I checked the engine bay and couldn´t find anything wrong, so off I went with a little less boost and bang it happened again.

Now the boost gauge won´t show anything over 4 psi (lots of power though).... anybody have any idea what went wrong? does the wastegate have some overboost feature?

Where do you have the hose from the valvle cover . ? to the air filter box . ?

First thing that I blow .. my boost gauge hose .. :eek:
Second thing that blow the silicone elbow at the throtle body ..

yea it´s probably the gauge that´s gone, since all the power is still there but the damn thing only shows 4 psi.

where do you guys put your boost gauges? I have mine connected to the hose that goes to the wastegate, thinking about putting it in at the intake, after the intercooler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom