Diesel Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well its actually started.. I'm going to swap in one of my 3B's and 5Speed combo's into the landcruiser.

If anyone's feels like drinking my beer I'll be working all week in my friends shop... Its near Carey and Marigold just send me a PM or a text if you're interested!

Today I pulled off the fenders had a few beers and got the engine and trans out of the truck.

Starting Pictures:
IMG00005-20110425-1343.jpg
IMG00006-20110425-1734.jpg
IMG00012-20110425-2150.jpg

so which of your multitudinous 3b's are you throwing in? the one you've heard run or the x factor?:flipoff2:

( it'll probably run too, it's a 3b, they pretty much always run.)

I thought about coming down on monday there, but sunday night I kinda got my gin on a wee bit ...

so between the hangover and the horrible weather, I stayed home..

Maybe friday if you're still at it.

Plan right now is to toss in the one I know is running... although I'd bet money on both of them running fine...

I'll pull the starter/glow plugs from the questionable one and make a 12V one out of my 24V one so I can stay at 12V ...

For the alternator/vacuum pump I've picked up an electric vacuum pump and will be going to a high amperage 1 wire alternator

Instead of an edic control I will probubly just go to a cable... or move the 12V edic over too depending how I feel...

Plan right now is to toss in the one I know is running... although I'd bet money on both of them running fine...

I'll pull the starter/glow plugs from the questionable one and make a 12V one out of my 24V one so I can stay at 12V ...

For the alternator/vacuum pump I've picked up an electric vacuum pump and will be going to a high amperage 1 wire alternator

Instead of an edic control I will probubly just go to a cable... or move the 12V edic over too depending how I feel...

Sounds like a plan.

Oil pressure sender is 24v as well, can't remember about the other senders. some are I think.

Jonathan has a gm alt that bolted right on in his 3b/40.

Id ditch the edic. it's one complicated sob for what it does. Only good thing about it is that it'll shut down the engine when it senses low oil pressure.

Superglow system on that 12v one? it just changes the volts of the glowplugs, changes how long you hold em on for.

IF the 24v engine had superglow, I think then they'd be 14.4v plugs(I think, could be wrong there...), which might not be all that bad for a manual switch..maybe a bit too slow, but they'll be hard to cook
the 12v superglow are 8v I think? makes em a bit quick for a pushbutton...it'll work you just have to figure out the length of time to leave em on so you don't cook them.

( that was all with the assumption you'd go with a push button glow system)

I do have a bj40 24v harness kicking around if you want to ad to the horror and make your life a living hell...you know, just a thought...:flipoff2:

Yep I'm planning on ditching the edic... in fact I picked up a random choke cable to day to use instead.

Glow plugs are about 13 bucks each so I'll be using new 12V ish glow plugs ment for a bj60 I assume they should just go in but I'll take an old one to lordco with me to compare... I'll just use the push button method for now

I picked up a high performance alternator today... gotta see about making it work but it should be doable without too much work...

Anyway a couple of pictures from today... we played musical items and rolled the cruiser out of the driveway the 2f onto the driveway and then rolled the 3B into the garage and pushed the cruiser back up the hill and into the garage behind the engine.

I also got the noisy dirty grinding and wire-wheeling done today also put a bit of paint on the frame bits and inside the frame where it'll be hard to get to once I have an engine in the way....

On an unrelated note does anyone have a 3B rad I can have for cheep or borrow? I found a good aluminum rad thats pretty much direct replacement but its 3 weeks away....
_small_IMGP9943.jpg
_small_IMGP9948.jpg
_small_IMGP9950.jpg

Yep I'm planning on ditching the edic... in fact I picked up a random choke cable to day to use instead.

Glow plugs are about 13 bucks each so I'll be using new 12V ish glow plugs ment for a bj60 I assume they should just go in but I'll take an old one to lordco with me to compare... I'll just use the push button method for now

I picked up a high performance alternator today... gotta see about making it work but it should be doable without too much work...

Anyway a couple of pictures from today... we played musical items and rolled the cruiser out of the driveway the 2f onto the driveway and then rolled the 3B into the garage and pushed the cruiser back up the hill and into the garage behind the engine.

I also got the noisy dirty grinding and wire-wheeling done today also put a bit of paint on the frame bits and inside the frame where it'll be hard to get to once I have an engine in the way....

On an unrelated note does anyone have a 3B rad I can have for cheep or borrow? I found a good aluminum rad thats pretty much direct replacement but its 3 weeks away....

I'll be interested to see the new rad, I soldered mine in the 42, so I'm a bit leary about it...it's on borrowed time methinks.

definately post up some part numbers etc.

Only rad I have kicking around has the bottom outlet on the wrong side I think, not a cruiser rad but you can use it if you can't find anything better for a temp fix.

60 rads are a bit of a bugger to fit in there, they're a bit wider.

While you have access you should do somthing about the trans tunnel being to close to the gas pedel. Make it so non Asian feet can drive it.

NICE:popcorn::beer:

yeah, I need to get a damn winch again...this manual sketchy comealong crap sucks ass.

thought of a good use for the 3b tho, it'll help me mock up a mount for a 12v alternator and a york...you know, aside from tornado proofing one end of the shop by holding it down..:rolleyes:

ya I wanna do a york at some point...

didn't get alot done today busy trying to figure out if I was going to have to fly to kelowna as my idiot little brother ended up in the hospital there... but sounds like he's ok .. hard to get brain damage when your an idiot I guess...

got the bushing machined to use my alternator ... just need to weld up the bracket to get that done, also chopped the cross member back off as apparently my drunkan measurements where wrong and it was a little over an inch lower then I wanted... should be easy to fix though...

hopefuly get more done tomorrow... if I can get the cross member attached i'm close to starting it...

still have to work out throttle too... debating choping the old gas pedal in half and welding the top of the 70 series pedal ...

does anyone know how the bj42's throttle setup looks?

so now you're worried about drilling a couple holes in the firewall?

Slippery slope aint it... :flipoff2:

I fxxxed around with the one on my 45 for ages to get it to work. it was hard to get it to have enough travel to move the 3b butterfly all the way.

required much bending of the pedal.

but your plan sounds feasable to me. here's a pic of the 42 one. it's 5.25 inches from the pivot to where the cable attaches, which it probably needs to get full travel out of the cable. the stock 40 gasser one didn't move far enough.

Don't mind the coil of cable and the hose clamp. One of the few remnants from the P.O. he somehow managed to replace the cable inside the 42 throttle cable housing, but didn't have the technology to crimp the end, and I was too lazy to mess with it. :hillbilly:

if I had to name the biggest pain in the ass of a 3b swap, that fxxxin gas pedal would be right up near the top of the list.

my firewall has lots of extra holes in it. It's kindof a flintstone EGT gauge. You can smell when it's time to back off.
IMG_3697.JPG

Last edited:
I'm blaming that damn rad.... its sitting so close to the truck ... must be bad luck.... god damn rover parts...

if you start thinking the warm beer tastes pretty good, but might be better with salt, back the fxxx away.

eat some bacon to restore the equilibrium.

if you start thinking the warm beer tastes pretty good, but might be better with salt, back the fxxx away.

eat some bacon to restore the equilibrium.

I'll keep that in mind... I got the throttle hooked up.. only had to drill one hole :flipoff2:

It's a pretty simple setup... I drilled a hole in the firewall and used the 2 bolts that hold the hand throttle cable to bolt on the piece on the 70's throttle cable then just hooked it to the same spot as the hand throttle... works perfectly!

I also got the heater hoses hooked up and finished the cross member off...

Then I realized that my positioning of the cross member has made it into a 2wd vehicle as the cross member blocks the front driveshaft

So I'll have to put a drop in it and mount it to the top of the frame rail on the passanger side instead of the bottom of it... shouldn't be too hard to do... just a pissoff...

I also did a few trips to lordco and got the clutch and some other odds and ends hooked up....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom